Lens Question

Edit My Images
Yes
I am saving up for some kind of new lens/lenses - my budget is around £250-300, and I currently have the D40 with kit 18-55.

Basically, my photography is just general stuff and I also like to do aviation and airshow photography. My 3 options that I have come up with are:

1 - Nikkor 70-300 VR (is it worth double the 55-200 just for an extra 100mm and do I need it)

2 - Sigma 18-200 OS

3 - Nikkor 55-200 VR and the new 18-105 VR if I can get it cheap enough in a few months when I have enough money.

4 - Nikkor 18-105 VR for general use and then Sigma 70-300 for airshows

I wanted to know people's opinions on what I should go for. Currently the third/fourth option appeals to me most, but I'll let you tell me what I don't know :p

Thanks,

Matt

My choice out of that little lot would be the 70-300 VR, it has a lot more than just an extra 100mm over the 55-200mm, such as a metal, rather than plastic mount and VR II, whereas iirc the 55-200 only has VR I. The extra may not sound like much, but it's a 50% increase on what you would have with the 55-200 and you need as much reach as you can for airshows....

Edit: I'm sure there was one for sale in the Classified section, the saving in buying a used one (plus selling your 18-55) would give you most of what you'd need to get the 18-105 VR as well....

I'll 2nd the 70-300VR .. not only do you get more reach than the 55-200VR but it's also a lot better in terms of image quality, especially up to 200mm.

For that price & range, the Nikon 70-300VR is the best that on the market; so, I'd skip the Sigma or any other brand for that matter. Also, for aviation shots you really do need that extra reach which this lens offers.

I'd say, keep your kit lens ... it is a good lens and get yourself the 70-300VR. New ones are now going for £299.99 .. used ones are a bit cheaper than that. As has already been mentioned by Flash In The Pan, there is one up for sale in the For Sales forum.

Thanks for the replies - I have spotted the one in the for sale forum but unfortunately the funding isn't in place and won't be for a few months :(

Looks like I'll stick with the kit lens and get the 70-300VR then

Matt

Back