Lens selection

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I am currently in possession of a 17-50mm and a Fisheye lens.

I will be using my camera primarily for holidays and family event photos , which is why I started with a 17-50mm lens.

The fisheye was a present, as I love wide angle shots, and am planning on taking quite a few on holiday.

What lenses should I be looking at next? Ideally any that would be useful for the usual holiday snaps such as landmarks, and portraits.

for holiday, I find a single lens is the best one. it all depends on whether the people you are going on holiday with have the patience.

I was going around Edinburgh with my girlfriend a few weeks ago. although she understands me and has the patience, stopping every few steps to change lens isn't ideal, far from the holiday experience. if my camera has built-in flash, I'd have just took the camera with a strap instead of a bag full of lenses.

so have you considered a lens with a bigger zoom range? how's the Canon 18-135mm? with 600D's built-in flash, you won't even need a camera bag.

For holiday snaps and family photos it might be worth getting one of the better superzooms, something like the Canon or Tamron 18-200 or up to the Tamron 18-270 PZD will give you a good IQ.

A good set of primes or a top quality L zoom would give you better IQ but only at a much higher price. I'd love to have the flexability of an 18-270 on a full frame body, I doubt it would ever get taken off my camera, if it was good enough in quality. I suppose the equivalent would be a Canon 28-300 L but it's a bit expensive for me at £1600+.

I'm far from an expert, but in my limited experience a super zoom (55 - 200) as suggested above seems most appropriate. You can use it for subject fairly close to you (people, pets, plaques on walls, etc) as well as getting closer to things further away, and it's not so narrow that you can't get some decent landscapes too.

I go out with a small bag, my 18-55mm and my 55-300mm, being a Nikon shooter I can also make use of the tiny SB400 flash. This gives me a very flexible setup in a small bag.

I wouldn't go for an 18-xxx lens, you are sacrificing quality for flexibility. Go for a 70-300mm lens and have the greater range over the 2 lenses.

Even a trip to Chessington when I take 3 lenses, I end up swapping the lenses over maybe 4 times and I'm now extremely quick that its done in under a minute.

I use a Q strap sling for the camera and use a Lowepro toploader which I also wear over my shoulder. It ends up carrying a drink for the missus along with some other bits, so it keeps her happy.

My default lens for wandering around with has been the 28-135mm.

It's not expensive and gives a reasonable zoom length for general use. Obviously I would like the 24-105L but that might take me a while to save for!

For me, I have found I use my 70-200 almost all the time plus I also put my speedlight on, this is how the camera is keep in my bag and used 95% of the time

Back