Lens with VR that won’t break the bank.

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks. Could you recommend me mentioned lens for Nikon FX? Ideally short zoom, but I wouldn’t mind the prime either.

I will need to get 70-200 a bit later on and I know it will be a good one, just wondering f there is something cheaper worth buying.

Thanks in advance for pointers.

as you now have the Nikon D810 it doesn't pay to look for a cheap lens, bit like buying a Rolls Royce and putting a Trabant Russian engine in it. I would suggest the 24-70mm lens which is the one I use and hardly ever off the camera. Not the latest version or even the one with VR. the non VR version is supposedly the best????
get a good used one for around £500 should be possible

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...mm+lens.TRS0&_nkw=nikon+24-70mm+lens&_sacat=0

Last edited:
If it's a shorter zoom you're after I found the old 28-70mm f2.8D sharper and better rendering than any of the 24-70mm f2.8 variants. Still got two of them along with the latest 24-70mm f2.8 VR, the only reason I use the newer lens is for the VR (I have some dark situations when flash/strobes aren't allowed). Guess it depends if you can live with the lack of 4mm at the wide end?

Edit: Just read your title about VR, but do you really need VR on a short zoom unless you're shooting the inside of an operational Challenger II?;)

GC

Last edited:
he did say a short zoom lens so that may not suit his requirements and that is f 4.5-5.6 a variable lens whereas
the 24-70 I suggest is f2.8 across the mm length far better
He also said ideally he would want a 70-200!

I think Tom is in a quandary trying to decide what to get next. We have all been there and usually end up with more gear than we actually need, I Know I should get rid of some of my stuff but each item has a purchase memory and reluctant to let go.
All we can suggest our own preference but it is up to him eventually to decide.

We have all been there and usually end up with more gear than we actually need, I Know I should get rid of some of my stuff but each item has a purchase memory and reluctant to let go.

Fully empathise with that Bazza, currently going through bodies and lenses I like but haven't used in ages:cautious:

GC

Thank you all for responses, appreciate your time.

I should have specified, I’d like some lens with vr relatively cheap, but I just meant cheaper than mentioned 70-200 which is about 2000? I know that days of cheap and good glass are gone :).

Reason for vr is that I do shoot my dogs quite often - I am composing family albums and the aim is to have one per family member - excluding me it gives me 5 albums x 60 12x8 photos. With new body I find it very challenging to get action photos without motion blur. Also such lens would be useful for me soon as I will shoot few events with children, both indoor and outdoor. I have two flash guns and will be able to use them if needed, but now I realise how much I’m actually shaking when shooting - I’ll need to work on that too.

Thank you for all suggestions, I will read up on mentioned lenses and try to pick one (or few....). Being in state “I need best glass quick” also may play the part in my urge to get something new, but I try to think I’m getting ready for future :).

Cheers

I use a 24-85 VR on my D810 when I want something lighter than the 24-70 on my camera. It’s fine, not in the same league as the latter lens but it’s ok. The 24-120 F4 VR gets good reviews as well. Both can be had second hand for less than £500 if you buy used or grey, as can the 28-300.

For what you plan on shooting vr isn’t going to help at all.....

If you want a good mid range zoom that won’t break the bank. I’d look at the 80-200 2.8 - if you could stretch to the non-afs 2 touch these can be picked up new for around 700 iirc. If you want really good value for money then the 1 touch push pull can be found used for very little.

I use one on my 810 and 7200 - af is slow but I manage to shoot sport ok with it - it’s a great lens to practice on.

Yeah, one of these would be my choice:

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-nikon-fit-lenses/

Optically fantastic, fast f/2.8 aperture (for higher shutter speed) and built like a tank, I wouldn't be worried about the 'well used' description, these are pro lenses and go on for ever.

I think you mean here:

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/search/?www-product-search=nikon+80-200&www-department=all

But Nikon pro lenses are brilliant.

You got me again - not motion blur, camera shake. I have noticed it on fairly few shots.

Thank you for links, appreciated.

Yeah I thought that too.

Noticed a lot of photos with shake when shooting in the evening. Most likely I will have some more so I’ll upload them so you can see what I’m talking about.

My technique surely has a lot to do with it, but am sure my settings weren’t off as I did get few nice takes.

Yeah I thought that too.

Noticed a lot of photos with shake when shooting in the evening. Most likely I will have some more so I’ll upload them so you can see what I’m talking about.

My technique surely has a lot to do with it, but am sure my settings weren’t off as I did get few nice takes.

If you don't know it already, the thing to master is the exposure triangle as all of the problems you've talked about lead from there: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-exposure.htm

Back