Lens

Name
Deadlysteve
Edit My Images
Yes
Canon EF 100-400L is any good?

Thanks everyone :clap:

maybe a more descriptive topic would help..?

Just a thought :)

i think anything with an L on it is good, unless someone can correct me.

As a door stop - excellent
As a toilet brush - lousy
As a means of transport - lousy
As a means of attracting women - only the ones you would rather avoid
As a contraceptive - only if used in a percussive manner

Feel free to join in

As a door stop - excellent
As a toilet brush - lousy
As a means of transport - lousy
As a means of attracting women - only the ones you would rather avoid
As a contraceptive - only if used in a percussive manner

Feel free to join in

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Also very usefull as an assaul weapon. and if you take all the glass out it will make a great pencil holder but a rubbish coffee mug.

Also very usefull as an assaul weapon.
Absolutely. You could batter someone to death with it, and the lens wouldn't show a mark. Plus, the push-pull zoom action means you can turn it into a longer baton when you need to deal with foes who are bigger than you are.

HTML:
All joking aside I hear its at its best when you throw carpet glue and a fistful of hundreds and thousands into it - a respectably priced variable aperture kaleidoscope. Or is that just urban myth?? ;) :bonk:

Stephen - I considered this lens for sports photography - my kids, mainly. I liked the range but was put off by the lens "speed" - having been used to an 80-200 f2.8 L.

Many find it good for wildlife photography. There are loads of reviews on the interweb thingy.

I'd imagine it's not much use for banging nails into a wall - some of my old metal lenses are great for that.

Stephen - I considered this lens for sports photography - my kids, mainly. I liked the range but was put off by the lens "speed" - having been used to an 80-200 f2.8 L.

Many find it good for wildlife photography. There are loads of reviews on the interweb thingy.

I'd imagine it's not much use for banging nails into a wall - some of my old metal lenses are great for that.

Your ruined the fun.:LOL:

Hi Stephen

I think if you explain what you want it for, you may get a better response i.e for motorsport, aviation, wildlife, sport etc, the sort of distance you will be from the action etc.

Good luck

Hi Stephen

I think if you explain what you want it for, you may get a better response i.e for motorsport, aviation, wildlife, sport etc, the sort of distance you will be from the action etc.

Good luck

Is that good luck in getting a better response :LOL:

A friend has one - its full of dust.

Apparently it sucks the dust in due to the push/pull action :shrug:

A friend has one - its full of dust.

Apparently it sucks the dust in due to the push/pull action :shrug:
No, that's just an urban myth. We have more than 20 100-400s and they're no more prone to dust than any other lens.

No, that's just an urban myth. We have more than 20 100-400s and they're no more prone to dust than any other lens.

Thanks for clarifying that - I got thie information from a camera shop
in Canterbury. Its probably a way of buying them in cheap by giving
the seller duff info :LOL:

Reckon it will make a good ear defender, when i eventually get one the 'boss' will rant for an hour and then not speak to me for a week, I believe its contraceptive abilities will also then become apparent !! Can't wait to get one ;)

Thanks BM, everyone else... lol

you see a lot of them sold on second hand with the statement little used or mint condition. The mint condition may be testament to the build quality I suppose.

Personally I think it is an excellent lens if you have the use for it, a main one being wildlife particularly in countries with more sunshine than the UK.

It seems to be a question of balancing how much use you have for it against how much you are prepared to tie up in it cash wise. In that I suppose it is no different to any other purchase.

Back