Lenses for a day at the "Big Cat Sanctuary"

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm going to the big cat sanctuary in Kent in a few months for my birthday and wondered what lenses I should be taking. I have a Canon 450d (soon to be replaced with a 7d Mk2) and a Canon 15-85 EFs and Canon 100 macro lens.

I think you get pretty close to the cats there, but was wondering if I should hire a Canon 100-400 mk2 for the day to ensure I have the reach should I need it. That will leave me the following focal range covered 15-85, 100-400.

Is there maybe a better sharper option that 15-85 I could hire as well?

Thanks

I want to one very similar never needed to use such a long zoom basically used a 50-150 at most but a normal lens 17-50 did the job. Best advice would be to contact the person running it and ask as they would know best

I've been a few times and I used my 24-70 & 70-200

A dump of my shots from one of the days can be found here , it'll give you an idea of access :)

Last edited:
The 15-85 will take as sharp images as you could want. As for longer a 70-200L or 70-300L would be ideal.

I went a few years ago.
At the time i only had a 40D and most of the day i used a Canon 70-300 USM.
I was the only one that didnt have big L glass, but i was also the only one who could get a lens through the fences lol.

This was my Fav shot. This was before id really got to grips with post processing.

Sat-16-January-2010-7247
by Dave Pearce (London), on Flickr

I want to one very similar never needed to use such a long zoom basically used a 50-150 at most but a normal lens 17-50 did the job. Best advice would be to contact the person running it and ask as they would know best

I have tried asking WHF for the photographer's details but seem to reluctant to let me have them.

I've been a few times and I used my 24-70 & 70-200

A dump of my shots from one of the days can be found here , it'll give you an idea of access :)

Amazing photos there, I can't wait to go. I have paid for a 1-2-1 so it's just me with the photographer, so no jostling for best position which I think will be good as some of the areas look quite small.

That is a great photo Dave, I love the stare :)

I guess the reason for my question is that I have paid for 1-2-1 and doubt I will go again (although you never know), so wanted to make sure I had the best equipment for the day (within reason of course).

I was thinking of buying the 100-400 mk2 for my birthday, that will give me the focal length from 100 to say 250 for the day and I can also use it when I go to Port Lypmne and Howletts the following month.....

hmm not sure

Thanks Steve.

If its the same place i went to then its all very close up. The staff get the cats to come over by feeding them very close to the fence. It was long time ago but i doubt you will need a 100-400. Saying that, if you can get one and have other uses for it then go for it.

Not sure if you noticed but in my shot there is snow. When I was there we were kneeling down in it to get shots. It was probably the coldest day of my life. I got home soaked.

You won't need 400mm.
The last time I went I spent the day using a 40mm and 70-200 and that was on FF. You'll probably be going into a few enclosures as well :)

I wonder who their photographer is now as Andy Porter left last year.

My last visit, a 3 person workshop:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/whf.545920/

So the 15-85 will be about the right focal length on a crop (equiv to 24-136)

However evo456 may be right, as the 15-85 is a 3.5-5.6 will the fence be an issue ??

You won't need 400mm.
The last time I went I spent the day using a 40mm and 70-200 and that was on FF. You'll probably be going into a few enclosures as well :)

I wonder who their photographer is now as Andy Porter left last year.

My last visit, a 3 person workshop:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/whf.545920/

Amazing photos, I can't wait to go :D I need to get the 7d mk2 as my poor old 450d probably wont do the cats justice.

I have been before, 24-70 and a 70-200 would cover everything. The 100-400 mk ii is more reach than you need but can be used, also useful will be its minimum focal distance. Technique for the wire is make sure you have a filter, push the lens right up to the centre of the mesh & use single point focus.
You really don't want to put anything through the wire.... Those kitty cats can move faster than you....

Amazing photos, I can't wait to go :D I need to get the 7d mk2 as my poor old 450d probably wont do the cats justice.

The first time I went I was using a 450D and 55-250 and that was fine. Obviously if you know your way around the 7D by then you'll better off :)
The fence shouldn't be an issue as you can put the lens right up against it and shoot through.

So it sounds like my 15-85 on a 450d / 7d mk2 would be ideal then :) From what I hear and understand, if I have a 100-400 then I should take that along, but will not use the full reach of it, but maybe the 100-200 range.

Roll on WHF day :-D

Last edited:
I did the same day with a Nikon D800e & 70-200 f2.8 & a 120-300 f2.8. Both were used equally but the best pics came from the 70-200.

DSC_0932 by Diving Pete, on Flickr

Last edited:
200mm on a crop :)

IMG_5067.jpg

Some nice images there. I can see 200mm is plenty when it comes to reach. Would it be better to hire a 70-200 mk2 IS then?

Yep, although f/2.8 isn't a necessity by any means - the pic above was taken with my old 70-200 f/4L IS, a staggering lens which you can pick up used for around the £500 mark.

2.8 might come in handy for the darker enclosures e.g Atara, the North Chinese leopard.
I don't know what the 7D is like in low light so might not be necessary.

I was thinking of buying the 100-400 mk2 for my birthday, that will give me the focal length from 100 to say 250 for the day and I can also use it when I go to Port Lypmne and Howletts the following month..... hmm not sure

Looking at the recent write up / owners thread the 100-400 MKII certainly seems to be a cracking lens,
the only slight down side is the f/4.5-5.6 especially if the light is poor as I don't know how well the 450D handles high ISO.
But then again if you are moving to a 7D MKII that also is very good at noise handling, at high ISO.

Virtually everything I shoot at zoo's is with a 70-200 is 2.8 mkII (Have a look at my flickr link for examples if you want)
The 2.8 is very useful for getting through wire too.
I've never found the 70-200 to be lacking at any zoo I've shot at, at that includes Port Lypmne and Howletts
If you are worried about a little more reach, then maybe consider a 1.4 Tc.?

I've not been to the cats in Kent, but I have a local-ish one near me and the 70-200 was plenty.

So I have to choose between the 100-400 and 70-200 2.8. It sounds like I should hire the 70-200 2.8 for the cats. I'm asking now as "Lenses for Hire" have a half price sale at the moment :)

This will work well on my 450d (will not have to up ISO too much) and if I have upgraded to the 7d mk2 by then it will still work well.

The only problem with hiring a 70-200 mk2 is you'll then end up trying to eBay a kidney to buy one :)

Forget the Chinese leopard - it's evil!
She's not that bad ;) Absolutely beautiful cat as well!

You probably won't get time to see all of the cats so it would be a good idea to make a list of those you really want to see so you can let the photographer know.
I'm basing this on the old set up though, the new tog might do things differently.

The only problem with hiring a 70-200 mk2 is you'll then end up trying to eBay a kidney to buy one :)
Very similar in price to the 100-400 MKII IIRC.
And possibly a fraction cheaper, if buying new.

LOL

She's not that bad ;) Absolutely beautiful cat as well!

You probably won't get time to see all of the cats so it would be a good idea to make a list of those you really want to see so you can let the photographer know.
I'm basing this on the old set up though, the new tog might do things differently.

I wonder if I will see more as it's just me and the photographer rather than a group ??

I think 70-200 for the cats, now have to decide 100-400 for Howletts/Port Lympne or hire the 70-200 again. I took the 100-400 MK1 to Howletts a few years back and got some amazing shots of the tigers and lions....

LOL

I wonder if I will see more as it's just me and the photographer rather than a group ??

I think 70-200 for the cats, now have to decide 100-400 for Howletts/Port Lympne or hire the 70-200 again. I took the 100-400 MK1 to Howletts a few years back and got some amazing shots of the tigers and lions....

It's more of a time issue, if you want a decent amount of time with the cats you will see. It's a long day but it goes quickly.

My group was me, my partner and my mum and only one of us needed a lot of tuition so it's likely to be very similar.
You will see most of the cats, for sure and it'll be an amazing day! :D It's just to ensure one of your must-sees isn't one of those you don't get to :)

ETA: There are 17 species and ~5 hours of photography.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, I'll have a look on their website and make a list of cats that I want to go and see.

Looking at the recent write up / owners thread the 100-400 MKII certainly seems to be a cracking lens,
the only slight down side is the f/4.5-5.6 especially if the light is poor as I don't know how well the 450D handles high ISO.
But then again if you are moving to a 7D MKII that also is very good at noise handling, at high ISO.

Virtually everything I shoot at zoo's is with a 70-200 is 2.8 mkII (Have a look at my flickr link for examples if you want)
The 2.8 is very useful for getting through wire too.
I've never found the 70-200 to be lacking at any zoo I've shot at, at that includes Port Lypmne and Howletts
If you are worried about a little more reach, then maybe consider a 1.4 Tc.?

I've not been to the cats in Kent, but I have a local-ish one near me and the 70-200 was plenty.

The 450D in my opinion does not handle high ISO very well, anything over 400 and you see noise. As far as lenses go, I guess a 100-400 mk2 would be better that an 70-200 with 1.4 Tc (f4) or 2.0 Tc (f5.6) fitted, although you do not have the 2.8 option with the 100-400.

The 450D in my opinion does not handle high ISO very well, anything over 400 and you see noise. As far as lenses go, I guess a 100-400 mk2 would be better that an 70-200 with 1.4 Tc (f4) or 2.0 Tc (f5.6) fitted, although you do not have the 2.8 option with the 100-400.
I've not used the 100-400 MKII there is actually an owners thread running and the comments are very positive.
If you fancy a read its HERE

The 70-200 2.8 is a cracking lens and when coupled with a 1.4 (Particularly the Mk3) there is no loss in IQ.
The 2x does tend to soften the image a little @300-400 though.
I mostly shoot zoo stuff and 99% of the time the 70-200 is plenty, and as I mentioned its great for getting through wire @2.8
And of course its great when the light is poor, some enclosures (generally) can be a little dark too, and the 2.8 also comes into its own,

Although I also know a few zoo togs that find if the light is not to harsh they can "zoom through the wire" with the 400
@ 5.6 again I've not used the lens ( even the MK1) but the results I've seen are pretty damned good.
I guess it depends on what you intend to shoot TBH, and at what length.
If you have the opportunity to hire both, then thats ideal as you can make up your own mind.

This may also help you make up your mind LINKY

Well, thanks for everyone advice on this, I've hired the 70-200 mk2 IS 2.8 for the cat day in July and the 100-400 mk2 for my 2 days at Port Lympne and Howletts in June.

However I may end up buying 100-400 before then and use that both as reading up a bit more on this lens its amazingly sharp.

To follow on, is there a place on TP there I can find out if there are any others in my area that like to take photos of wildlife that I could maybe team up ?

Back