Lenses for cycling velodrome

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got accreditation for a cycling event at Manchester's velodrome. I haven't shot any indoor cycling before, so would like opinions on the lenses I should take.

So far on my short list is for my 1Dx's

16-35 f2.8
28-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8

Anything larger?

Thanks for your help

No thoughts on lenses , but if you can get anything faster its worth having ,but make sure you have a means of setting white balance ( whibal card if poss) and watch the lights they probably will pulse and can cause all manner of problems with exposure.

I shot an indoor roller hockey match under mercury vapour lights once and wondered what was going on, the exposure was all over the place when if should have been constant ( or so I thought given what appeared to be constant lighting) and it was all down to the lights pulsing

Have Fun

Hi Nigel,
The lenses you've listed there are ideal, all of them can be used from the apron at the side of the track (track center) & also from the outside of the track.
A good place outside track is near the final bend when the cyclist are fighting out the sprint for the line, you could also use your 400mm from the end of the track outside facing straight down to the finish line.

I know you shoot mostly outdoor sport but if you've got a flash take that with you too it will come in very handy to throw just a blip of fill flash at the riders who tend to have their heads down & faces in shadow when they're making a big effort, best not to overdo the flash I find or it can cause ugly shadows. Most cycling snappers use flash so no one will complain & you can also use it to do some of those cool (well I think so):) slow shutter dragging shots.

A couple of tips some obvious & some maybe not so regarding shooting from the apron on the inside of the track if your accreditation covers that. You will normally be able to go anywhere around the track (final bend, back straight etc.) but try & keep out of the way of the judges right on the finish line. If you want to kneel down at the side of the track to get a lower angle only kneel on one knee not both so you are always ready to move sharpish if a pile up starts happening above you. Use your ears as much as your eyes, you'll quite often hear a crash happening before you see it. :D

Luck,

Stew.

Not sure whether I'm imagining this or not but did I see in a post somewhere you have a 200-400? That would be ideal for the longer down the finishing straight shots from the outside end of the track (& a little bit lighter)
Also forgot to say there are loads of great candid shots to be had in the center of the track of riders warming up on the rollers or relaxing/chatting to coaches & helpers before their next races. Once the riders are in the track center they stay there till all the races they are competing in are over.

Hi there, i've not shot in velodrome before but I did volunteer at the Junior Track World Championships last year, helping with the press and photographers, and will be volunteering in the velodrome at the Commonwealth Games next month.

The tip about only kneeling on one knee is a good one. We had one photographer who thought that rule didn't apply to him and was seen at one point lying on the apron to get a real low vantage point. The venue manager very quickly told him that that wasn't permitted. The other rule that we told the photographers was that they had to be within one arms length of the inside boards. This was to ensure that they didn't get too close to the cyclists. This may different at each velodrome though.

Most of the photographers had a 70-200, a 300 and I think it was a 16-35 as their lenses of choice. Most also has flashguns as well but they did ask whether or not they were allowed, so each venue or competition must have different rules on the use of flash.

Look out for some 'alternative' viewpoints. The Glasgow velodrome has a high level walkway that is used to gain access to the ventilation equipment etc. I'm pretty sure that we'll have some cameras up there during the Commonwealth games to give a different perspective on the event.

Not sure whether I'm imagining this or not but did I see in a post somewhere you have a 200-400? That would be ideal for the longer down the finishing straight shots from the outside end of the track (& a little bit lighter)
Also forgot to say there are loads of great candid shots to be had in the center of the track of riders warming up on the rollers or relaxing/chatting to coaches & helpers before their next races. Once the riders are in the track center they stay there till all the races they are competing in are over.

I only hired the 200-400 unfortunately. My only option would be to take the 1.4 extender as well.

Thanks for the tips and the benefit of your experience. Much appreciated

Hi there, i've not shot in velodrome before but I did volunteer at the Junior Track World Championships last year, helping with the press and photographers, and will be volunteering in the velodrome at the Commonwealth Games next month.

The tip about only kneeling on one knee is a good one. We had one photographer who thought that rule didn't apply to him and was seen at one point lying on the apron to get a real low vantage point. The venue manager very quickly told him that that wasn't permitted. The other rule that we told the photographers was that they had to be within one arms length of the inside boards. This was to ensure that they didn't get too close to the cyclists. This may different at each velodrome though.

Most of the photographers had a 70-200, a 300 and I think it was a 16-35 as their lenses of choice. Most also has flashguns as well but they did ask whether or not they were allowed, so each venue or competition must have different rules on the use of flash.

Look out for some 'alternative' viewpoints. The Glasgow velodrome has a high level walkway that is used to gain access to the ventilation equipment etc. I'm pretty sure that we'll have some cameras up there during the Commonwealth games to give a different perspective on the event.

I've not got a flashgun, so will have to make do with ambient and hope it's ok. I'll make sure I find out the t's & c's before setting foot in the venue. Don't want to be chucked out!

Thanks for the tips aswell

I've not got a flashgun, so will have to make do with ambient and hope it's ok. I'll make sure I find out the t's & c's before setting foot in the venue. Don't want to be chucked out!

Thanks for the tips aswell

bring the thread back.. sorry.

how did you go on?

Thanks, they came out well.

which lens did you use in the end, I tried to see what lens data on the pictures but nothing was showing up.

I've shot in quite a few velodromes and you want something in the range of 16-35 if youve got track access a 400 for the long shots and a 70-200 for athletes warming up flashguns are advised if your trackside, stick to the railing always face oncoming riders one knee only as mentioned and don't put anything on the floor

Last edited:
Back