lesbian wedding photo list

Name
bill
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all does anyone know whwre i can find a checklist of photos for a lesbian wedding, obviously its a bit different as im working with 2 brides
thank you
Bill

Done a few, never noticed much difference in the photography. Some have what look like two brides, others have a bride and female groom (or dressed as a groom) either way the basic wedding is the same, same set of pics, couple shots all as per usual. Just watch exposure if you have two white dresses, some cameras are more likely to under expose in those condition, but it varies.

There is a great website called Google. You can search for images there!

Although as you will see, the images look exactly like any other wedding in terms of poses. The only difference is that some have 2 people in big white dresses (although some do have one of them in trousers).

I think that's harsh and rude - the OP is just making sure he hasn't missed anything off. The wedding will be different - so he has good reason to ask for some advice.

If you’ve ever seen any of my posts over the years, you’ll know I’m not harsh or rude in the slightest.

The wedding won’t be any different. I’m speaking from experience of having shot quite a few weddings including same sex ones. No different. Two people in love, regardless of gender.

hi all does anyone know whwre i can find a checklist of photos for a lesbian wedding, obviously its a bit different as im working with 2 brides
thank you
Bill

I would ask the couple for an itinerary of the day. Gay weddings can be traditional or they can be quite alternative. Best man => lady. Also you have to remember there maybe an uncomfortable person there (although we live in a modern society as Gareth points out) there are people who still deep down don't approve so may be unhappy to appear in photos. I would say that it's not something you should ask - but more being able to sense it on the day.

I seen another well known, well established photographer ask this exact same question a while back elsewhere. He was given lots of advice with examples around posing the couple. Just shows the difference I guess between here and other places.

I seen another well known, well established photographer ask this exact same question a while back elsewhere. He was given lots of advice with examples around posing the couple. Just shows the difference I guess between here and other places.

There are people on this forum, like Phil V, who always give valuable and very helpful advice.
My comment may have been blunt, however I stand by the fact that it’s no different at all in he shooting of the wedding. As established wedding photographer will pose the couple regardless of gender to what looks good.

Unfortunately, forum life is a shambles at times, one reason why I don’t post here much anymore.

As Gil Bev also says above, SOME people will have a problem with it. IMO these people shouldn’t be at the wedding. But that’s just my opinion.

As Gil Bev also says above, SOME people will have a problem with it. IMO these people shouldn’t be at the wedding. But that’s just my opinion.

Absolutely but at the same time they will want to support their loved one so they may opposing feelings going on inside which they may always having trouble coming to terms with. It’s possible nothing like that will exist at this wedding but always good to understand should a guest(s) seem withdrawn.

I definitely think the forum should be a more welcoming place. At times I think people will post here and never come back.

There are people on this forum, like Phil V, who always give valuable and very helpful advice.
My comment may have been blunt, however I stand by the fact that it’s no different at all in he shooting of the wedding. As established wedding photographer will pose the couple regardless of gender to what looks good.

Unfortunately, forum life is a shambles at times, one reason why I don’t post here much anymore.

The guy that I seen ask the exact same question is very well known as both a photographer and an educator and shoots 70 plus weddings a year.

The o.p you would assume hasn’t photographed a same sex wedding before and because of that’s it’s possibly a little out of their comfort zone. Most of the comments made here have done nothing to help. While if it was me I would approach it the same way as any other wedding I can understand the o.p asking the question.

I definitely think the forum should be a more welcoming place. At times I think people will post here and never come back.

This is definitely true.

Last edited:
It all depends on attitude of the OP / original question...

“Is there some kind of checklist” (I’m paraphrasing) implies more going through the motions. Perhaps if asked “Does anyone have experiences to share and things I may not have considered with photographing a lesbian wedding” the replies would have been a little kinder.

It’s sometimes (especially online where we only have words not body language to support the words) difficult to know where someone is coming from with a short question like this.

Last edited:
I think you need to have a look at some other forums. This is about the most friendly, open, welcoming and generous place on the internet. Sometimes it does no harm to set people straight.

If the question had been;
Can I expect anything different?
What kind of poses? Etc the response would have been slightly different.
However...

The idea of a shot list is ridiculous to most wedding photographers, and the idea that if I were to write a list it’d be different for a same sex couple is ludicrous.
I’ll reiterate, all weddings are ‘different’ and some same sex weddings will be very similar to a more ‘traditional’ event than some male/female weddings.

The same sex weddings I’ve shot or witnessed are far from being the most unusual weddings I’ve shot.

“Is there some kind of checklist” (I’m paraphrasing) implies more going through the motions. Perhaps if asked “Does anyone have experiences to share and things I may not have considered with photographing a lesbian wedding” the replies would have been a little kinder.

Yeah I agree with that

At the same time using langauage such as ‘what the actual f***’ is uncalled for, particularly in answer to a question from another member.

I would ask the couple for an itinerary of the day. Gay weddings can be traditional or they can be quite alternative. Best man => lady. Also you have to remember there maybe an uncomfortable person there (although we live in a modern society as Gareth points out) there are people who still deep down don't approve so may be unhappy to appear in photos. I would say that it's not something you should ask - but more being able to sense it on the day.

One of our best friends in a heterosexual wedding didnt have a best man, he had a best lady. Any type of wedding can be traditional or alternative, not just gay ones. You simply have a couple of guys or a couple of girls rather than a guy and a girl. Everything else is the same except that its not as all weddings are different anyway. The best thing you can do is to ask them the same Q you ask anyone, like shots they particularly want, any possible friction on the day (i.e. dont ask mum and dad who are separated to be in the same pic), in terms, of ushers, best men/women, bridesmaids... Just engage in a conversation with them as you would anyone else.

They will expect exactly the same, not someone who turns up with a lesbian wedding checklist in his pocket. Just my opinion on it

I have been in one (so not a massive amount of experience), they didn't really do anything differently (or rather why would they).
What's on your current checklist in the first place? why are you expecting to be anything different (bridge and groom terminology aside)?
Are you after poses and composition? TBH even that is transferable for a large part. You need to ask more specific questions i feel for a more specific response :)

It’s sometimes (especially online where we only have words not body language to support the words) difficult to know where someone is coming from with a short question like this.

I'm now wondering if the OP wanted the "standard" list of wedding pics, rather than same sex specific, but was asking in case there was a difference?
If a person does a job they haven't done before there could be things they wont expect, or wont know about, I don't even know if the op has done a wedding before.

Warning inappropriateness to follow...

Phil... I think that comes after the reception and I’m not sure (many) wedding photographers are expected to document that part! :exit:
Well, they seem to take photos of everything else these days! :whistle:

Seems to me the key to the OP's question was included in his request - how to deal with 2 brides - which is a significant divergence from conventional weddings.

Perhaps those with experience in the area might comment helpfully instead of trying to prove how modern they are?

At the same time using langauage such as ‘what the actual f***’ is uncalled for, particularly in answer to a question from another member.
Context is everything.
A complete newbie asking for advice demands a completely different attitude to someone asking pros for advice to do a ‘job’.

Though it’s often misunderstood by the average member, which is the usual source of wedding thread ‘bunfights’

You have to understand that wedding a photographer is first and foremost a ‘people person’. We treat all our clients and their friends and family with the utmost respect. We have a very close relationship.
And we expect everyone else doing the same job to do the same.
Let that sink in, then re-read the OP with that in mind...

youll see who’s being ‘inappropriate ‘ ;)

Seems to me the key to the OP's question was included in his request - how to deal with 2 brides - which is a significant divergence from conventional weddings.

Perhaps those with experience in the area might comment helpfully instead of trying to prove how modern they are?
No it’s not.
It’s 2 people getting married.
It’s not ‘different’.

No it’s not.
It’s 2 people getting married.
It’s not ‘different’.

How would you deal with 2 brides preparing at 2 separate houses, arriving in 2 separate cars etc? I don't know that this is what the OP is asking, but it doesn't require a large step of imagination to think that the circumstances might be different from a conventional B&G and at least allow a small BOOD.

How would you deal with 2 brides preparing at 2 separate houses, arriving in 2 separate cars etc? I don't know that this is what the OP is asking, but it doesn't require a large step of imagination to think that the circumstances might be different from a conventional B&G and at least allow a small BOOD.

Two photographers??

It’s also called talking to, and engaging with customer. Not all brides want be snapped getting ready. You speak to the couple and ask them what they want out the day. 2 hours, 8 hours etc. If they then say they want both getting ready then you see what the logistics are, could possibly do both. If that’s not possible I am sure they will understand you can’t be in two places at once. Arriving in 2 cars is no issue, just wait outside the venue.

Problem was the op question was ambiguous and not detailed enough. If he had said that the couple want x y and z and he is not sure if he can do it or not done it before that’s one thing. Just because one couple have certain poses doesn’t mean others want the same.

Last edited:
Same way I deal with a bride and groom.
One of us at each location (if that’s what they requested*).
* is the absolute key
All couples are slightly different. And we deal with their individual differences week in week out. Whether they’re the same gender is quite an insignificant fact that is almost certainly unrelated to what photos we’ll take.

I have shot a few same sex weddings and like most of the other togs here I never changed my approach at all and it went no different to any other wedding

Just booked one about 30 minutes ago for next year too haha

I don't think anyone, especially me, is trying to prove how modern they are. Although same sex weddings have only been legal in England and Wales since 2014 so it is a very modern thing, although photographing same sex couples has been around a lot longer than that.

As Phil has said above, the logistics of it are again, no different to dealing with a male-female wedding. Some people want groom and bride prep, some want neither. Some want one and not the other. Some do a first look before the ceremony (something I am personally a fan of) and/or hang out with each other the entire morning of the wedding (again, a big fan of this). As far as the job as photographer goes during the wedding day, it is no different IMO. That's not me trying to be politically correct or modern or anything like that, it's just how it is.

Agree with this. I was trying to work out how two women differ to a man and woman (from a purely photographic slant). The only two i could come up with were

1) Traditionally the groom dresses in darker colours and the bride in white which gives metering contrast and to be fair to grooms its generally about making sure the dress is captured as white and not 18% grey
2) Usually the important bit in the preparation bit is more geared towards getting photos of the bride getting ready (the groom too if you have a second shooter). With two brides should you make sure you are getting the pre wedding preparations for both.

The second can be resolved through dialogue as to whats important to the couple!

Back