Lessons learnt

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
So today I had my first cake smash and learnt a few valuable lessons. I had been coaxed into doing it as a follow up to a shoot I did with a little fella I shot last autumn. Usually cake smashes are at a year but this little fella was two today. All of my children photography to date has been with a single child or over the age when they have developed an attention span.

Well I had let my other half book it all and as my day job has been pretty full on lately, I didn't have any discussion myself with the mother beforehand - mistake number one!

So what did I learn?

1. This last week I heard that an extra toddler was coming too, so I should have discussed this at least with the mother. Problem was, one would have been quite easy to manage. Add another two year old into the mix and they bounced off of each other, literally. The lesson here is that I should have had a discussion with the parents and used them to calm things down, the parents just let them get on with it. I knew that posing them was not going to happen, maybe given this scenario again I'd suggest shooting one child first then the other?

2. I'm used to kids that are a little older and don't move so much. I tend to shoot primes. A zoom would have been quite handy. I had a 35 on one body with a 50 on the other - it worked ok but a zoom would have been a little more flexible.

3. I had a technical hitch to contend with too. My new D-Lite's flash tube went belly up! No real problem as I had a spare but it was the first proper outing, guessing the supplier might say it's a consumable part but, the first outing? What's the general life expectancy? My other two have been going strong for years.

4. I did think most things through well enough in preparation. Didn't get too tight with the soft box to give me enough leverage for quick moving kids. I took all my kit round and used a pack of laminate over the carpet to give a solid base but needed another pack really for two (only thinking of one earlier in the week). Sandwiched the Perspex Inbetween that I had brought for the mess.

5. Also learnt that I need to specify a soft cake. The one bought was too hard, it didn't mush up that well.

I would be interested to hear how experienced children photographers would handle a couple of two year olds that are a little hyper. You must be reliant on the parents to help calm and give some direction. Tricky but thoroughly enjoyable and all good practice.

Last edited:
Though I have no advice to offer, your write-up of your experience was very helpful, thank you.

Though I have no advice to offer, your write-up of your experience was very helpful, thank you.

Thanks David. Only just finished editing the pics and so here's a quick taster..

27253164692_7f985b5f3a_b.jpg

I find with two year olds, I just let them run riot-try and get them to play games, play music they can dance to. Don't rely on the parents-they should help you but they don't always. Obviously this is easier if cake isn't involved ha ha. And if you have plenty of space. I do find with the most hectic of shoots the parents leave thinking they've got none and come back for a viewing to find they have lots of cute, funny cheeky photos of their little monsters. Would much prefer a hectic photo shoot of a two year old than a calm one where they look rigid and not themselves. Hope this helps.

I find with two year olds, I just let them run riot-try and get them to play games, play music they can dance to. Don't rely on the parents-they should help you but they don't always. Obviously this is easier if cake isn't involved ha ha. And if you have plenty of space. I do find with the most hectic of shoots the parents leave thinking they've got none and come back for a viewing to find they have lots of cute, funny cheeky photos of their little monsters. Would much prefer a hectic photo shoot of a two year old than a calm one where they look rigid and not themselves. Hope this helps.

Your last sentence is spot on Kerry.

Two year olds are the worst... THE worst... if they decide they're not going to do something, they're not doing it. It lasts til about 4 1/2. I had one come here and stand in my kitchen and scream for an hour straight, and that was even after his mother said she'd take him home.

I just make sure I have some toys that they've never seen/played with before (I have some cool vintage blocks) that will work in a photo. And like @KerryPhotoGirl , I let them do their thing for the most part, and take loads of photos, and I usually end up getting lots of 'natural' photos that everyone says they want.

And here's a tip for the cake thing - don't get chocolate. It always looks like poop once it gets smooshed about. ;)

Two year olds are the worst... THE worst... if they decide they're not going to do something, they're not doing it. It lasts til about 4 1/2. I had one come here and stand in my kitchen and scream for an hour straight, and that was even after his mother said she'd take him home.

I just make sure I have some toys that they've never seen/played with before (I have some cool vintage blocks) that will work in a photo. And like @KerryPhotoGirl , I let them do their thing for the most part, and take loads of photos, and I usually end up getting lots of 'natural' photos that everyone says they want.

And here's a tip for the cake thing - don't get chocolate. It always looks like poop once it gets smooshed about. ;)

Great cake tip! But I wouldn't use chocolate anyway, on the basis that I'm a self confessed chocoholic so I couldn't be certain the kids would get a cake..

Two year olds are the worst... THE worst... if they decide they're not going to do something, they're not doing it. It lasts til about 4 1/2.
And if mine's anything to go by at 4 1/2 they're self aware enough to refuse to get in front of the camera. That's lasted until he's 8 - now bribery with Minecraft time is sometimes effective.

Sorry guys been so damn busy recently haven't been on for a while and missed this. Our 13 year old is happy to pout for 2 minutes max before she realises she hasn't looked at her phone in that time!

I owe her a picture this weekend as her little sis has had all the camera attention recently.

I would be interested to hear how experienced children photographers would handle a couple of two year olds that are a little hyper.

One thing I've learned (the hard way) with kids is that 2 is a lot more than 1. And that 3 is a lot more than 2.

At some point around the age of 3, most kids get the idea of future reward. So at that point you can promise them something in the future in exchange for correct behaviour now. Below that you're wasting your time trying to bribe them ;)

One thing I do if I have time is just to sit very quietly watching them. If they act out and run around then as long as they aren't going to hurt themselves or break something then let them. Just sit there quietly and watch. At some point their curiosity will get the better of them and they will wonder what you are up to. At that point you've almost got them.

My new D-Lite's flash tube went belly up! No real problem as I had a spare but it was the first proper outing, guessing the supplier might say it's a consumable part but, the first outing? What's the general life expectancy? My other two have been going strong for years.

I bet they will tell you it must have got jogged during transport. Just like shaking old lightbulbs. It may even be true ;)

Nice pic though. I'd touch in the mark on his ankle before delivery ;)

One thing I've learned (the hard way) with kids is that 2 is a lot more than 1. And that 3 is a lot more than 2.

At some point around the age of 3, most kids get the idea of future reward. So at that point you can promise them something in the future in exchange for correct behaviour now. Below that you're wasting your time trying to bribe them ;)

One thing I do if I have time is just to sit very quietly watching them. If they act out and run around then as long as they aren't going to hurt themselves or break something then let them. Just sit there quietly and watch. At some point their curiosity will get the better of them and they will wonder what you are up to. At that point you've almost got them.

I bet they will tell you it must have got jogged during transport. Just like shaking old lightbulbs. It may even be true ;)

Nice pic though. I'd touch in the mark on his ankle before delivery ;)

Good advice thanks I think I was a little unlucky with my D-Lite as I exchanged it and then the new one's modelling lamp (it wasn't the lamp) wouldn't work either. But they're a great bunch of lads at the Flash Centre and was swapped no problem. I can definitely say that it wasn't dropped or similar, it was genuinely two faulty units, sorted now though.

Really helpful write up- thank you!

I love the photo you posted- they look relaxed and happy. And who wouldn't be with a cake like that!

Back