Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
SHOT AT DAWN MEMORIAL (NMA)

"309 British and Commonwealth soldiers who were shot for desertion or cowardice during World War I. Most were sentenced after a short trial at which no real opportunity for defence was allowed. Today it's recognised that many of them were underage and suffering from shell-shock. Andy Decomyn's statue is modelled on Private Herbert Burden, of the 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, who was shot at Ypres in 1915 aged 17. In 2006 a posthumous pardon was granted".

043a.jpg

OK, I'll add one I've already posted in the Film and Conventional section.

We will remember them. Silhouettes of a lost generation mourn their fallen comrades as today’s generation go about their lives in the background.

World War 1 centenary memorial, Nantwich Town Square, Cheshire. Canon EOS 30, 40mm f/2.8 on Kodak TMax 400.

In the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Cattistock, Dorset.

Ghostly figures in the pews to represent missing WW1 Military Personnel.

They are made from simple clear acetate and fixed to the back of the pews.
Difficult to do them justice, the actual, physical effect is stunning.

Ghost Congregation.jpg

This is one I put up yesterday in another thread.
It is of an event in All Saints Friezland running today and tomorrow.
I blended a found image of a WW1 soldier on to the Perspex cut out of the soldier and distorted it to fit. I had to focus fuse 5 images to get everything into focus.

I liked the juxtaposition of the bright fresh flowers and the ghost of the soldier

My daughter (the flower lady for our church0 has only just done the arrangements.

there but not there 2018 by Terry Andrews, on Flickr

View attachment 138553 View attachment 138554 My mum brought this round today. My Great Great Grandma sent this to my Great Grandad in the trenches. It was written at 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month, 1918. Exactly 100 years ago today. It blew my mind. He also had a tiny toy cat, which he carried in the trenches.
A lucky black cat, in English folklore black cats are seen as a sign of good luck. You more than likely knew this already but I thought I'd mention it just in case you didn't see the significance. A lovely keepsake and I hope it brings you the best of luck too.

A lucky black cat, in English folklore black cats are seen as a sign of good luck. You more than likely knew this already but I thought I'd mention it just in case you didn't see the significance. A lovely keepsake and I hope it brings you the best of luck too.

Thanks Badger, I wasn’t aware it even existed until yesterday, nor the significance of it. Honestly, I’ve always been very humbled by Remembrance Day and it’s significance, but seeing all these artefacts yesterday just blew my mind. It’s gone home with my mum now for safekeeping, but me and the kids loved going through it all for the day.

I managed to get to the Slimbridge Wire Soldiers tribute today. I found it very moving and a wonderful tribute to the fallen over the years. There was a large crowd for such a small village tribute, the artist was at the church and gave some information on how the idea was conceived. Hopefully the attached do them justice.

IMG_2975 by Doug, on Flickr

IMG_2963 by Doug, on Flickr

IMG_2970 by Doug, on Flickr

IMG_2979 by Doug, on Flickr

Back