Let's see your trains: inside and out, an open thread

after a really truely attrocious couple of months weather I got up this morning and thought "right, I am going to put into practice something I've meant to do for ages".

So I went down to the SVR to try and take some pics. I've posted a couple of times before, saying that I couldn't understand why people took all the movement out of trains, so given I had a horrible diesel (hydralic i think?) and uninspiring BR standard (one of my big critisisms of the SVR is that its never seems to have any interesting engines... but maybe its just me.

5G4A7337 by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

5G4A7443 by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

5G4A7600 by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

5G4A7319 by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

Anyway - harder than I thought, mainly because i was so far away and they were so slow. The Standard was done at 1/30s and although sharp enough doesn't capture the movement enough. The Diesel was at 1/6 of a second and I am not overly happy with the sharpness... maybe there is a happy medium.

5G4A7205 by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

5G4A7474 by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

Another thing i really struggled with was composition on the bridge and dealing with the coaches.... so I just took em out. Job done. Much better photo

5G4A7675-Edit by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

5G4A7425-Edit by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

@A_S Andrew, I think that your capture of 75069 is the most successful of your motion blur shots posted here. As you will know from photographing racing cars, they are travelling at greater speed than the 25mph maximum allowed on heritage railway lines which consequently require a much slower shutter speed with all the potential problems that can bring.

I shoot quite a lot of motion blur train photos and some are regularly published. I am still learning though!

Adams T3 563 by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
@A_S Andrew, I think that your capture of 75069 is the most successful of your motion blur shots posted here. As you will know from photographing racing cars, they are travelling at greater speed than the 25mph maximum allowed on heritage railway lines which consequently require a much slower shutter speed with all the potential problems that can bring.

I shoot quite a lot of motion blur train photos and some are regularly published. I am still learning though!

Adams T3 563 by Robin Procter, on Flickr

What was that shot at? I had a look at it on flickr and the exif isn't there,

To be honest I am not happy with either. one is too blured on the loco and the other at 1/30 - the standard - is just too static still, angle wrong and scenery not blured enough (like yours above)

What was that shot at? I had a look at it on flickr and the exif isn't there,

To be honest I am not happy with either. one is too blured on the loco and the other at 1/30 - the standard - is just too static still, angle wrong and scenery not blured enough (like yours above)
.... The EXIF should be there - My Flickr settings don't have it hidden - but it's 1/25s, F/14, ISO 100 @ 80mm (35mm equivalent). I shoot on Olympus/OM System Pro, always full Manual Mode to stay in full control.

You just have to decide your shutter speed according to the speed of the train and what impression of speed you want your final image to convey. There will always be a relatively low hit rate. My camera will capture each continuous burst of well over 120 images (probably more) without any lag whatsoever on my fast Sony Tough cards and my keepers hit rate is about 10-15%.

FREIGHTLINER LIVERY ON THE MOVE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Transport For Wales 197 at Deganwy.

I've actually tried to tone down the sky a little as it was a bit too dramatic for my liking.

197019 Deganwy by Adam P, on Flickr

..... I know what you mean! Skies can sometimes look a bit overcooked but such is the drama of nature. It works very well for me, especially as the train is grey.

The cab styling looks like a cross between something from Star Wars and Doctor Who! :ROFLMAO:

..... I know what you mean! Skies can sometimes look a bit overcooked but such is the drama of nature. It works very well for me, especially as the train is grey.

The cab styling looks like a cross between something from Star Wars and Doctor Who! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, even in person the sky looked like a poorly done HDR, I had to do something to tone it down a bit in Lightroom :D

To travel on, they are nice units, I'm still unsure about the external styling though.

Nice shot..very punchy.

Btw..a sky, for me at least, can never be "too dramatic" :D

I haven't been out shooting for a while but the fact that there was a Midland Pullman due through our local station this afternoon made me pick up the camera and head out. While I was there several other modern trains went through but then this Freightliner dragged itself up from South Wales too.
DSC_9724_TP.jpg
DSC_9743_TP.jpg
I liked the fact that the Pullman driver managed to wave at us as he went through (y)

I noticed you hadn't posted here for a while,Steve and I hoped you were ok.

That's a great train to see..the Pullman. Nice shot and you got a wave,too :)

That's a very good photo. Very interesting, plenty to hone in on. Could just have easily been at home in the 'Architecture and Urban thread.. :)

Underneath Canary Wharf, it's quite hard not to notice that you've arrived....

Canary Wharf underground platform sign S10 5137.JPG

Thanks, I'd been stood on the end of the platform at West India Quay or almost 15 minutes trying to get a photo I was happy with!
I’ve never been to the dlr before, I was trying to work out if maybe you worked trackside and took it standing to the side of the track or if it was from a drivers window even.
I’m definitely going to have to make a visit now next time I’m in London.

...or if it was from a drivers window even.
Quite possibly, inasmuch as there are no drivers, There's just an anonymous grey box locked over a set of emergency controls.

I’ve never been to the dlr before, I was trying to work out if maybe you worked trackside and took it standing to the side of the track or if it was from a drivers window even.
I’m definitely going to have to make a visit now next time I’m in London.

I would recommend just going for a ride on it from Tower Gateway or Bank through to Heron Quays via Canary Wharf, you get a totally unique view of the Docklands.

Or, you could do it without leaving your house via YouTube...

FULL JOURNEY | DLR B92 Stock: Bank to Lewisham. (Via Canary Wharf)

I would recommend just going for a ride on it from Tower Gateway or Bank through to Heron Quays via Canary Wharf, you get a totally unique view of the Docklands.

Or, you could do it without leaving your house via YouTube...

FULL JOURNEY | DLR B92 Stock: Bank to Lewisham. (Via Canary Wharf)
Many thanks for the info I’ll definitely bear that in mind when I’m next in London.
The video looks interesting, I’ll watch that this evening, I’ve just been having a read of the comments and noticed someone saying

Fun fact: the DLR at Bank Station have the deepest platforms in the whole of the TFL Network, even deeper than the Deep-Level Tube Lines.

I don’t know how true it is, but interesting.

Many thanks for the info I’ll definitely bear that in mind when I’m next in London.
The video looks interesting, I’ll watch that this evening, I’ve just been having a read of the comments and noticed someone saying

Fun fact: the DLR at Bank Station have the deepest platforms in the whole of the TFL Network, even deeper than the Deep-Level Tube Lines.

I don’t know how true it is, but interesting.

That's an interesting fact, I hadn't heard that before.

It would make sense, as from the Northern Line platforms, you have to head down some stairs, so I can imagine they are pretty deep.

Back