Let's see your trains: inside and out, an open thread

That's one way of describing it, another way of describing it is it's a First Group budget operation and they didn't want to spend too much on branding? ;)
.... We don't know how much or how little Lumo spent on branding. Just because the livery design is visually simple doesn't mean it was done on the cheap. The logo is excellent IMO and the whole livery is different and distinctive in its aesthetic simplicity. Your comment suggests that you know which other train operators comprise FirstGroup - All have highly distinguishable liveries from each other.

My personal favourite livery in FirstGroup's portfolio of trains is the TransPennine Express but so far I don't have a photo to post here. Ferroequinologists and trainspotters are notoriously difficult to please and are not a commercial passenger train operator's prime consideration.

I am a professional 'retired-but-hardwired' corporate identity and branding designer.

Hull Trains is one of the FirstGroup operators :

KingsCross Class802 303_OMD10532 @ by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Reactions: zx9
.... We don't know how much or how little Lumo spent on branding. Just because the livery design is visually simple doesn't mean it was done on the cheap. The logo is excellent IMO and the whole livery is different and distinctive in its aesthetic simplicity. Your comment suggests that you know which other train operators comprise FirstGroup - All have highly distinguishable liveries from each other.

My personal favourite livery in FirstGroup's portfolio of trains is the TransPennine Express but so far I don't have a photo to post here. Ferroequinologists and trainspotters are notoriously difficult to please and are not a commercial passenger train operator's prime consideration.

I am a professional 'retired-but-hardwired' corporate identity and branding designer.

KingsCross Class802 303_OMD10532 @ by Robin Procter, on Flickr
I like the local place name of that one, just wondering if they have another one called the Land of Nod. :)

I like the local place name of that one, just wondering if they have another one called the Land of Nod. :)
My sister lives in the Hull area and on one of our visits she suggested we visit the place,

Turned out to be the most boring street in Hull (and there's stiff competition for that title). :tumbleweed:

.... They don't. Here are the names of all trains currently in the Paragon fleet :

Reactions: zx9
.... They don't. Here are the names of all trains currently in the Paragon fleet :

Thank you for the link.
I grew up in East Yorkshire and was at Central London Poly in the mid 1980's , the railway journey from Brough (Nr. Hull) to Kings Cross has many memories.

It's all subjective and down to personal taste, you like it, I think it looks like it was either done on the cheap or was never finished.

Your career history doesn't make either of us right or wrong...

It's all subjective and down to personal taste, you like it, I think it looks like it was either done on the cheap or was never finished.

Your career history doesn't make either of us right or wrong...
.... I wasn't claiming to be right or wrong but was only offering a background to my opinion based on branding experience.

I agree that ultimately it's down to personal taste. It is impossible to please everyone. We each have our favourite and least favourite trains and liveries.

Excellent shot, the inclusion of the bridge really adds to the image along with being in black and white.
.... Thanks James :)

It was seeing the bridge that inspired me to go there and wait for a train to pass. Unfortunately I missed a freight train there and also it was in the afternoon and I had to shoot into the sun and that caused havoc trying to process the colours. So I created a B&W version from the original colour file and prefer the result.

I wasn't trying to make the photo look period but just find what appearance I liked best.

One from last weekend. Furnace no 20 built in 1863. Not a great shot the lighting was terrible..View attachment 401272
.... I was there on the Saturday. It's not a place which lends itself well to harsh sunlight inasmuch that good spots are limited. However, I think you still captured the splendour of this engine and the sky helps the overall picture.

.... I was there on the Saturday. It's not a place which lends itself well to harsh sunlight inasmuch that good spots are limited. However, I think you still captured the splendour of this engine and the sky helps the overall picture.
Thank you Robin. Wish I'd known there was a fellow TP member there, I'd have siad hello.

Thank you Robin. Wish I'd known there was a fellow TP member there, I'd have siad hello.
.... From your profile photo on TP I think I now recognise seeing you if you were there on Saturday. Yes, it would have been good to say hello and chat.

Yes I was there on Saturday mate. Had a smallish beige and blue shoulder bag and a 6d2 with a 24-105. and a sony compact. I walked down as far as big pit hoping the light would be better.

Excellent shot, I’ve not seen that livery before but I’m inclined to agree with you. From a distance it looks alright but once you zoom in it looks a bit of a miss mash.

Thanks, it was taken while I was waiting for a stupidly early service to Euston.

The livery does look better on the new class 730 units, but it really doesn't sit well on the 350s.

From a trip to Hest Bank and Carnforth

endolino Hest Bank by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

5. These are scary this close as they wizz past at high speed
Class 390 Pendolino Carnforth by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

I posted this as part of a group a couple of monthe ago and i was a little intrigued by the word 'Brett'

A search lead me to this

A nice touch i think

I posted this as part of a group a couple of monthe ago and i was a little intrigued by the word 'Brett'

A search lead me to this

A nice touch i think
Very interesting, such a fitting tribute.
Thanks for sharing.

Excellent shot, have they resolved the issues with the carriages used on the service? I remember back in august the short notice cancellation of most if not all of the trips due to health and safety concerns but I never heard anymore.
Yes they did. Not sure what the issue was, something to do with the door locking I think. In the run up we were getting a bit worried, but it was sorted about 2 weeks before we went. Not sure if they just put extra stewards on to mind the doors.

Last edited:
Yes they did. Not sure what the issue was, something to do with the door locking I think. In the run up we were getting a bit worried, but it was sorted about 2 weeks before we went. Not sure if they just put extra stewards on to mind the doors.
That’s great news. It all happened at such an awkward time for everyone with it being in the height of the summer.
Did you get any shots from the viaduct itself whilst you were on the train?

That’s great news. It all happened at such an awkward time for everyone with it being in the height of the summer.
Did you get any shots from the viaduct itself whilst you were on the train?
Not a great one, loco going backwards on the return leg and they are really hot on not having cameras out of the windows

Just is case anyone ever does this. First class is the worse location to get a picture over the viaduct, on the outward journey. 1st class is right up with the loco on the outbound route

View: https://flic.kr/p/2p5PMiR

Last edited:
Not a great one, loco going backwards on the return leg and they are really hot on not having cameras out of the windows

Just is case anyone ever does this. First class is the worse location to get a picture over the viaduct, on the outward journey. 1st class is right up with the loco on the outbound route

View: https://flic.kr/p/2p5PMiR
That’s a nice shot, thanks for sharing and also for the advice regarding first class.

INTER-CITY CROSS-COUNTRY ACROSS 'THE MUD' by Robin Procter, on Flickr

INTER-CITY CROSS-COUNTRY ACROSS "THE MUD" by Robin Procter, on Flickr

INTER-CITY CROSS-COUNTRY ACROSS "THE MUD"

In September 2023, the Farewell Tour of the HST Class43 regular passenger services on the British network. Headed by 43 008 in retro livery and hauling coaches in the sponsor CrossCountry's livery. 43 007, also in a retro livery, on the tail.

The causeway has been known as "The Mud" by local railwaymen for over a century and was originally constructed in 1842 as a single line. Creekmoor and Upton Viaducts were built in 1937 to enable tidal water flow.

Last edited:
INTER-CITY CROSS-COUNTRY ACROSS 'THE MUD' by Robin Procter, on Flickr

INTER-CITY CROSS-COUNTRY ACROSS "THE MUD" by Robin Procter, on Flickr

INTER-CITY CROSS-COUNTRY ACROSS "THE MUD"

In September 2023, the Farewell Tour of the HST Class43 regular passenger services on the British network. Headed by 43 008 in retro livery and hauling coaches in the sponsor CrossCountry's livery. 43 007, also in a retro livery, on the tail.

The causeway has been known as "The Mud" by local railwaymen for over a century and was originally constructed in 1842 as a single line. Creekmoor and Upton Viaducts were built in 1937 to enable tidal water flow.
Very nice shots, am I right in thinking that’s the hst tour that ran from Plymouth to Blackpool and return? I just had a look on rail tour info and it’s showing as cancelled but I don’t know when that happened or if the site is correct.

Very nice shots, am I right in thinking that’s the hst tour that ran from Plymouth to Blackpool and return? I just had a look on rail tour info and it’s showing as cancelled but I don’t know when that happened or if the site is correct.
.... Thanks :)

No, this was the HST Class43 Farewell Tour which ran on 26th September 2023 from Leeds-Bournemouth-Swanage and return to Leeds.

At Aviemore, on Friday, Flying Scotsman was reversing to couple up with Belmond's Royal Scotsman for a tour. The driver did so too quickly and it hit the coach with some force resulting in the two people, standing on the 'balcony' watching it coming towards them, being taken to hospital. Had I seen the speed it was reversing I'd have nipped back into the carriage. Look closely just before it gets to the carriage and you can see the two people..looks like one is a man in a white shirt

Here's the first comment under the video.

"The coaches being on the curve, and poor visibility over the corridor tender, driver couldn’t see nowt.In 2021 a Class 20 did the same thing at Grosmont. The causes identified, were the driver’s unfamiliarity with driving a loco which has an enormous blind spot, going too fast, and the coaches being nearer than their normal position"

Reported in the Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ved-in-slow-speed-crash-in-scottish-highlands

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVRR3NkBIWM

Florence

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV • Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM @39mm • 1/30s. • f/2.8 • ISO 800
KP5A4239-COPY-1-PS1-WEB.jpg

Back