Let's see your trains: inside and out, an open thread

Duchess of Sutherland again...this time through Stroud this morning and on the return stopped at Gloucester. The light was poor this morning and trying to get a decent shot at Gloucester station in the dark with the orange sodium lighting was too much of a challenge. I've never seen so many enthusiasts turn up so, in addition to them were the passengers who like to disembark and take photos. Barriers prevented me getting any further infront of the loco than the photo shows and I moved to that position because people kept walking past me infront of the lens, oblivious. It took 6 seconds to get the close up so they didn't show.I found that a conversion to tungsten in LR helped save the day with some but still left a reflection of someone in a white shirt on the tender.

3..Duchess of Sutherland.jpg

8.Duchess of Sutherland (8 of 1).jpg

5.Duchess of Sutherland (5 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
Overhead power lines and their supports on the OBB in Kitzbuhel, Austria...

Railway power lines Kitzbuhel Austria Leica M3_56600035.JPG

Last edited:
Not since 2017. The railway spent £40,000 on the hire of stock and crews and could not afford to do so again. SWT ran a mainline excursion on Summer Saturdays, which was cut short by industrial action. Finally, the units for the Wareham service were delivered, and crew training began, then came lockdown.

2022 timetable has not been announced after the Diesel Gala at the beginning of May, so there could be an announcement in a few months time

Not since 2017. The railway spent £40,000 on the hire of stock and crews and could not afford to do so again. SWT ran a mainline excursion on Summer Saturdays, which was cut short by industrial action. Finally, the units for the Wareham service were delivered, and crew training began, then came lockdown.

2022 timetable has not been announced after the Diesel Gala at the beginning of May, so there could be an announcement in a few months time

Thanks for the information, I've been trying to work out what is going on for a while now.

I'd like to visit the Swanage railway but do it via the heritage DMU from Swanage as steam has never been of interest to me.

You might keep an eye on evening services at special events, the Railway is also live on Real Time Trains. The other major delay was caused by the wheelsets being failed for mainline use and the railway having to order replacements from the USA.

Back