Lexar SD Card Reader damaging your SD cards?

Name
Pamela
Edit My Images
No
Can SD card readers damage your SD cards ? Has anyone else experienced this ? I have a Lexar 24 in 1 card reader and I have a SD card that I have had to cello tape as it is coming apart by where the adapter bit would fit to make it a micro SD card. The Lexar card reader has 5star reviews and the SD card is a good one too, a 32gb Sandisk Extreme Pro rendered useless now. Must be just me unlucky

Why blame the card reader? Why not blame the camera you are using the card in?

Personally, if I was to use a micro card in an adapter, I would blame the concept and manufacture of the card/adapter. Having a little card fitting into a bigger card has to be the weak link.

Why blame the card reader?

Right… and there are too many variables in your situation to
pinpoint precisely faulty link in the chain without proper tests
of all the involved elements.

If the card is useless in that chain… did you test it elsewhere?

Why blame the card reader? Why not blame the camera you are using the card in?

Personally, if I was to use a micro card in an adapter, I would blame the concept and manufacture of the card/adapter. Having a little card fitting into a bigger card has to be the weak link.
I didn't think it could be the camera. Have used it in the D7100, D5600 and D5500 all my other cards are okay. Personally I do not use the SD adaptors. And am careful to slowly take the SD cards in/out because they are certainly not as robust as CF cards. Will closely monitor this. Thank- you for your input

Right… and there are too many variables in your situation to
pinpoint precisely faulty link in the chain without proper tests
of all the involved elements.

If the card is useless in that chain… did you test it elsewhere?
Will closely monitor each variable, thank- you for that.

I have a SD card that I have had to cello tape as it is coming apart by where the adapter bit would fit to make it a micro SD card.

Personally I do not use the SD adaptors.

Bit confused if you are talking about a standard SD card or micro SD card because of 'it is coming apart by where the adapter bit would fit to make it a micro SD card. A photo of your card (or at least a link to the card would help- Sandisk do extreme pros in both micro SD and standard SD) and the damage may help everyone understand what you are talking about.

Also how old is the card? Have you spoken to SanDisk about the problem and a possible replacement?

am careful to slowly take the SD cards in/out because they are certainly not as robust as CF cards.

CF cards may feel more robust but it's easy to bend a pin in the camera if not taking care when putting them back in.

I'm pretty sure Pamela's using standard SD cards but her description of where the failure is was confusing.

Back