LF notch code assistance please

Peter B

Double Numpty
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I scanned a few old 5x4 negs yesterday and easily identified the FP4+, HP5+ and Acros ones, then I found negs with a code which I couldn't properly identify via Google or my LF books. It's a single half-moon indent as shown in the photo, and the nearest I found was Agfapan 25. Problem is that this is a film I would never have used, so I'm thinking it is probably a lower cost from Europe or maybe even the Far East? It's actually a nice film, so my curiosity has now got the better of me! TIA.

20191118_094755_resized.jpg

img052-copy-tp.jpg

I think the cheap films all use that single half moon notch. My fomapan, gp3, and some addox have that.

I think the cheap films all use that single half moon notch. My fomapan, gp3, and some addox have that.
I think Steve's right, I'm certain that Fomapan has that notch and I've used other random cheap films that have it too.
Wow, superfast response from you guys! (y) I'd happily buy it again, so maybe I need to try out some more films. :thinking:

I haven't been able to identify it - my own film experience is very limited - but some digging turned up the fact that Kodak use a "universal" code for all low volume/special order films, and it seems others do the same. Going back a little further (historical, really) this document lists notch codes for older film. and there are a couple of half moon notches listed - different spacing from the film edges. The code 51A (page 58) seems a good fit; in which case the film would be pre 1970...

https://gawainweaver.com/images/uploads/Horvath_AcetateNegativeSurvey.pdf

I haven't been able to identify it - my own film experience is very limited - but some digging turned up the fact that Kodak use a "universal" code for all low volume/special order films, and it seems others do the same. Going back a little further (historical, really) this document lists notch codes for older film. and there are a couple of half moon notches listed - different spacing from the film edges. The code 51A (page 58) seems a good fit; in which case the film would be pre 1970...

https://gawainweaver.com/images/uploads/Horvath_AcetateNegativeSurvey.pdf
Many thanks Stephen. The film wouldn't be pre 1970 as it was after I moved to Inverness in the mid 90s that I got my first LF camera. What's niggling me is that I've always kept a couple of film boxes in case I sent any negs in the post, but can only find Ilford ones.

@Peter B

Without doubt FOMAPAN

I might add that I found out quite recently with FP4 sheet film that the notches only appears relate to the type brand of film .

The actual format size of sheet film ( ie, 5x4, 10x8, 5x7 etc) makes no change to the notch system.

Last edited:
A trawl through assorted darkroom paperwork uncovered a data sheet from retrophotographic with Dev times for Efke, Foma and Classic Pan films. Efke is ringing a bell for me, so I reckon that's what it is. Thanks for all the replies. (y)

Last edited:
Back