LG OLED TV colour cast?

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I notice there are at least a few members with LG OLED TV's on here. I'm on my third one in 3 weeks due to a Peachy/ Pink colour cast on the left side of the screen, does anyone else have this problem?

My tuppence worth is I have been happy with LG for a fair few years until this year when I when for a mid priced 4K smart set, the colour cast on the edges was very apparent, went back for exchange same problem, went back for exchange same problem.. swapped for a Samsung, absolutely beautiful.

My tuppence worth is I have been happy with LG for a fair few years until this year when I when for a mid priced 4K smart set, the colour cast on the edges was very apparent, went back for exchange same problem, went back for exchange same problem.. swapped for a Samsung, absolutely beautiful.

I'm at the stage where I'm trying to live with it a bit longer before this one goes back for a full refund. The problem is, other manufacturers of 'true' OLED TV's is that the panels are made by LG anyway, so it could be a case of 'out of the frying pan into the fire'. There are a lot of complaints about it I believe, so whether a firmware update would cure it is anyone's guess.

Does it have the pink tinge in all colour modes? Mine was generally a bit pinkish all over until I fiddled with the colour settings and got it more normal.

Does it have the pink tinge in all colour modes? Mine was generally a bit pinkish all over until I fiddled with the colour settings and got it more normal.

This is a photo of the first TV that went back. I spoke to LG a few times and tried all sorts of settings and refreshes to get rid of it but no joy. The second and third sets have not been as bad but still there on white and grey scenes. The tint doesn't show up on most content but I find myself looking for it now. The rest of the family can't see it at all.

_DSC4855.jpg

Bin it and get a Samsung, I have a 55" 4k Samsung. The picture is truly fantastic.No colour casts just pin sharp vibrance.

I must admit at first I was tempted to get the Samsung QLED but after visiting many stores the Oled won out in the end. Just a shame about the tint as the picture 95% of the time is stunning.

It’s barely there. Is it the same with a different viewing angle?

What’s the new one like with the same blank screen?

It’s barely there. Is it the same with a different viewing angle?

What’s the new one like with the same blank screen?

The latest one is about 50% better than the one pictured above. It's not as noticeable at greater angles, it's at it's worsts just off 90 degrees, where I would have expected to be at it's best. It's a 65" so maybe the bigger the screen the more inconsistent the colour grading???

Dunno. I’d expect bigger ones to be better as they’re more expensive...

Have you gone back into the store to check the demo models with a blank flat colour picture to see whether they’re better or worse?

ive aways thought LG tvs were a bit el cheapo had samsungs for donkeys

Not seen anything like that on my LG 55c7 .
Rob.

I read many reviews looked on youtube but did not come across what your seeing as you know LG make almost all OLED screens and I would have thought if it was a fault many would have found it,its not by any chance Magnets from a speaker causing it ? It sure is bad from the shot you put up.
Rob.

Interesting I did not see this forum
It looks like you have a 50/50 chance of getting a good one, If Id have seen this I would have rang them first before I ordered to see what there take was on this .
guess I was lucky .
Rob.

Yes, 50/50 not good odds! I certainly wouldn't put £2.5K on a 50/50 arm wrestling match.

If you're not happy, return it, if it's your third set, personally, I'd be looking for something else ...

I notice there are at least a few members with LG OLED TV's on here. I'm on my third one in 3 weeks due to a Peachy/ Pink colour cast on the left side of the screen, does anyone else have this problem?

I have two LG OLED screens (both 2016 models though purchased earlier this year) and have seen no intrusive colours on any material I have watched at any time on either set.

A barely noticeable uniform pinkish tint is a characteristic of OLED screens when they are switched off. I have noticed this pink tint occasionally when lighting conditions are right. When watching anything played back; this colour cast should not be noticeable and I have never seen any evidence of it.

Are you switching the television off completely when not watching television or are you leaving the set in standby mode?

All LG OLED sets should be left in standby mode so the TV can run compensation cycles.

I have no real idea what your television problem is; but I’m wondering if you have a possible banding issues.OLED TV’s can suffer from ‘Banding’ (a non-uniformly bright screen) and ‘Vignetting’ i.e. the edges of the screen are darker than the middle.

Here is a fairly bad example:
File%20Apr%2015%2C%209%2013%2012%20AM.jpeg

(picture taken from AVF)

If your set has banding/vignetting; this may be compounding the ‘normal’ colour cast of the screen. If you do not already do so; I would leave the television in standby. As the screen runs its compensation cycles; the banding should reduce and hopefully the colourcast less visible.

This is pure speculation on my part and your problem may lay elsewhere. If – after several days of keeping your set in standby when not watching television; things have not improved; I would post on AV Forums in the relevant thread for your model television for further advice.

Dunno. I’d expect bigger ones to be better as they’re more expensive...

Have you gone back into the store to check the demo models with a blank flat colour picture to see whether they’re better or worse?

Judging by the posts on AVForums (in relation to LG’s 2016 OLED’s) the 65” sets were far more prone to banding than the 55” models.

Bin it and get a Samsung, I have a 55" 4k Samsung. The picture is truly fantastic.No colour casts just pin sharp vibrance.

Samsung make great televisions; but they can suffer their own issues as well. Samsung QLED TV’s will go brighter than any current OLED screen; but they just cannot display absolute black correctly. In dark images you will never pick out detail on a Samsung TV in the same way that you can with OLED. For my money, displaying black correctly, is the foundation of an accurate picture.

No television technology (or brand) is perfect; each have their own compromises. It is really a question of choosing which set of compromises you would rather live with.

ive aways thought LG tvs were a bit el cheapo had samsungs for donkeys

When both Korean brands arrived in the UK; they were both cheap and nasty and not worth touching with a barge-pole. Over the years; both brands have come on a long way and now represent quality products. Today I wouldn’t regard a Samsung as better quality than LG. I’m not sure that either brand are quite up to Japanese build quality and reliability standards though the gap would now be very small.

Back