Life's all about timing

S

Sean_Mcr

I have a personal project called 'life stories'

These are my two latest shots for the gallery that tell a small tale, which is what the gallery is all about

I hope people don't mind following the link, it just that i think that the thumbs are best seen here http://www.pbase.com/sean_mcr/lifes_all_about_timing

Cheers

I really like these (particularly 'too early'), and I think the titles sum them up perfectly. The guys face in the first shot tells a story all on it's own.

Both great shots Sean, I like the way the lighting has come through on the image.

Can I ask did the people know you were taking the shot ?? I'd really like to be able to take shots like these but never feel confident enough to point a camera at someone long enough to compose and shoot !!

They will have been aware that i was shooting various things in the bar, but by the time i came to shoot them they were just simply doing their own thing.

One of my heroes is Bresson

He said it's like drawing, you must go slow in order to be fast and when it's time to be fast you must be very fast. What bresson would do is just be part of the scene waiting and watching, that's what he meant by being slow. Once something came along worth shooting then he was lightening fast

I am no Bresson, but i often use that approach, and if people should happen to see me, then they already know what i'm about as they may well have seen me shooting others & i sometime let my main subject see me shooting, just so that if they should happen to notice me they'll feel relaxed at about it. I very rarely get noticed actually shooting them, but i honestly don't mind if they do

Cheers

minimeeze,

Thank's

He reminded me a bit of Cliff from Cheers

I'm not gonna say too much here, as it's in photo sharing not critique.

However, I think something's lost on me. Why two different crops to illustrate this 'timing' subject. Surely it would've been better if they were the same.

I, too, am a fan of Bresson but it can't get this to fit into that context.

Sorry, I really think I'm missing something here. :(

They are not cropped, i don't crop my images, one's just taken with a 50mm prime one's taken with my 35mm.

Just a simple case of them coming along when i had a certain lens on the camera. These things are obvioulsy unplanned

Ultimately it's a story about two people in the same position at different times, and given different timing they may not have been alone. The focal lengh does not take anything away from that

It's not a homage to Bresson, i simply said that i use his approach to shooting the public, and anybody that shoots candids with any heart does it openly

As for context, bresson was a story teller, one of the greats. I try to do the same, you'll get nowhere trying to copy people, but being inspired by them is no bad thing

Do you shoot the street/candids?

No worries Barry, i'm a great believer that somebodies response to an image is valid, they are the viewer and that have the right to respond to an image any way they want to. I may not agree with that response, but i'll defend their right to respond in any way they see fit

Cheers pal

interesting shots, was it an idea you had when you went there or just one that came together while you were there?

Nice Seany ... they look a perfect match with their sour faces ;-)

Lovely images Sean.....and they fit the titles perfectly....

What I can't understand is....Why is the chap "Too early" and the woman "Too late"....why not the other way round?
What I mean is...they both fit their respective titles just right, and I don't think it would suit if they were swapped over...but nothing in the image suggests early or late...so I can't understand *why* its right...

interesting shots, was it an idea you had when you went there or just one that came together while you were there?

It did strike me how lonely they looked in that moment and space, that's not to say they were lonely. But i had no idea i'd walk away with those two shots before i entered the bar

Once they'd occupied the same space, i knew the shot would work together.

Cheers

Lovely images Sean.....and they fit the titles perfectly....

What I can't understand is....Why is the chap "Too early" and the woman "Too late"....why not the other way round?
What I mean is...they both fit their respective titles just right, and I don't think it would suit if they were swapped over...but nothing in the image suggests early or late...so I can't understand *why* its right...

It's just an observation on how we tend to show early and women late. The reality is i shot the girl first

But what it's about is two lonely people sharing a space at different times, and the idea that they may have been a chance to change that had the timing been different

It's just a tale

Cheers

I was thinking the concept was going over my head when I saw this earlier.

Makes sense now after your last post. (d'oh)

I was thinking the concept was going over my head when I saw this earlier.

Makes sense now after your last post. (d'oh)

Lol Robert, some people will get it, some people won't. That doesn't mean it's not to be got, but nor does it mean people have to get it.

Back