Light meter for use with a Rollei

Name
Russell Bates
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all did a quick search and couldn't find anything. I have recently been given a rolleicord for my birthday and am really excited about using it.

In the past when shooting film (which i am quite new to) I have just gone for the hit and miss approach using cheap film and cheap processing. However the Rollei uses more expensive to process and buy 120 film. Thus im looking for a light meter to check the exposure. Any advice much appriciated.

If it helps ill be using the camera without flash for indoor and outdoor portraits mostly. I have been recommended the Gossen Luna-pro any thoughts?

I know it seems stupid but im new to this film game, how do light meters actually work. Do they just give a reading of what F stop to use and shutter speed???

Thanks Russ

Hi Russ, I use a Sekonic L308s for both studio flash work and all photography a good meter easy and fast to use ,as for portrature i almost always take an incident reading .
Not sure of the price of these exposure meters but you can find plenty used meters on E-Bay
Good luck

You need a meter, guesswork will work some of the time but it's a false economy to waste time and film when a meter will help you to get it right.

Pretty much any meter will do the job - the main differences between them are in build quality and features (some of which are often just unused gimmicks) - but you may want to consider getting a meter that will measure flash as well as ambient light, in case your photography develops along those lines.

Hiya

I recently bought a very cheap light meter for use with my zeiss Ikon. It is a reflective one (i.e. you point it at the subject rather than at the camera) and it is very easy to use. basically you set the the film speed on the dial, point it at the subject and move the wheel until the pointer is alligned with the needle (which moves up and down depending on the amount of light). The light meter then shows the suitable aperture/shutter speed combinations based on the film speed and light available. It cost me about £5...good luck!

Sangamo Westons are great, very simple to use and no batteries.

And I believe there's a company in the UK who still service & support them should you find yourself the owner of a duff one.

Sangamo Westons are great, very simple to use and no batteries.

And I believe there's a company in the UK who still service & support them should you find yourself the owner of a duff one.

My dad had Weston Master-V new from the 60's until he dropped it down a cliff a few yrears ago. It was spot on, readings wise, all that time. I just got one off eBay for £25 in excellent nick still in its case so they're not a heck of a lot of money. It's very easy to use, you just set the film speed then turn a dial to point at whatever number the needle pointed to when you read the light, and then read off your exposure choosing whichever combo of shutter speed and aperture you need. No batteries, no servicing, no anything. It's 43 yrs old and still dead accurate, we tested it in my local camera shop against his fancy digital £120 ones - spot on.

Back