Light Meter?

Name
Norman
Edit My Images
No
is it sworth getting one still now days or would you just take test shots and check screen?:thinking:, I know back before digital there was a need as you couldn't check instantly but know not sure if i should get one as would save time but don't know if its worth it £££ wise

opinions would be greatly appreciated (y)

Not read the other threads, although I probably should, but hey, you can read those and then get my take too.

I still use one as it limits my time in PP by getting the exposure the way I want it in camera. It takes a bit of getting used to and there is a slight slowing down in shooting, although actually I find the slow down helps me focus and control the situation better.

Cheers guys and thanks for links Paul :)

Depends what you shoot - I use one for studio type shots using flash - otherwise I just use the camera.

Yeah setting up studio never really bothered in past but to save on set up time think it might be worth it to get one...?

Saves time - and you can easily measure individual lights to help get the balance right - much better than messing around and guessing - especially if you have a client in the studio.

is it sworth getting one still now days or would you just take test shots and check screen?:thinking:, I know back before digital there was a need as you couldn't check instantly but know not sure if i should get one as would save time but don't know if its worth it £££ wise

opinions would be greatly appreciated (y)

If you're just using a DSLR then it's probably a waste of money unless you want to use it for studio flash. The truth is that the combination of the preview screen and the histogram is probably quicker and more convenient than any hand held meter.

I do use a meter but its only when I'm using my non metered film cameras. Take the time to fully understand the histogram - it's really all you need.

Saves time - and you can easily measure individual lights to help get the balance right - much better than messing around and guessing - especially if you have a client in the studio.

any recommendations?

cheers(y)

any recommendations?

cheers(y)

There's not a lot of choice but the usual answer is a Sekonic 308 - about £120. There are some cheaper ones about but they seem a bit basic.

cheers guys love this site! nice fast responses thanks for everyones help :) (off to buy one now don't tell the mrs)

I also always use the light meter in the studio to set the lights up properly without trial and error so saves alot of time. I have the sekonic L358 also paid £140 for it

Vis your to blame! now looking at getting a light meter only way i'm gonna stop buying is if someone takes out my internet!

I had a Sekonic 308S until it was stolen and to be honest I rarely used it.

Yes it was great in the studio to tell you your setting and the power difference from each light but for how much they cost I can sort my lights out in usually 3 shots.

But if you were getting one I would recommend the Sekonic 308S as it is easy to use and understand.

Back