light painted BMW

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
They never turn out amazing on the first go, but these look better than my first attempt so thats a great start for you.

The problem is, you can see how "speckled" and blotchy the car looks with uneven painting. (especially with the 1st and 3rd image), but you've got the technique sorted so I think a bit more practice for you and you'll get some cracking shots using a torch.

I think the hardest thing with the torch, is painting it evenly - you cant judge if its been painted properly when you're physically doing it but if you can imagine "literally" - painting it rather than just waving the torch around you'll get a better look.

The reason its come out blotchy is because where you have waved it around, its crossed over to a previous spot where you have already painted it, so that part of the car is brighter. Im not too good with light painting - hence I switched to a larger light source i.e. a flash and softbox and move the softbox around the car but its been a year or more since I tried it. Its much more difficult than people realise - but good on you for this good first attempt (y)

take your time with it and you will nail it, even chuck a bit of tissue paper over the light source to soften it slightly if that helps! 1st photo makes a great location for it.

They never turn out amazing on the first go, but these look better than my first attempt so thats a great start for you.

The problem is, you can see how "speckled" and blotchy the car looks with uneven painting. (especially with the 1st and 3rd image), but you've got the technique sorted so I think a bit more practice for you and you'll get some cracking shots using a torch.

I think the hardest thing with the torch, is painting it evenly - you cant judge if its been painted properly when you're physically doing it but if you can imagine "literally" - painting it rather than just waving the torch around you'll get a better look.

The reason its come out blotchy is because where you have waved it around, its crossed over to a previous spot where you have already painted it, so that part of the car is brighter. Im not too good with light painting - hence I switched to a larger light source i.e. a flash and softbox and move the softbox around the car but its been a year or more since I tried it. Its much more difficult than people realise - but good on you for this good first attempt (y)

Thanks i was wondering about the blotchy ness. I'm pretty happy with them as a first go, but need to buy a better torch as its just a tiny handheld/pocket one I've been using and will try and be more methodical in where I'm trailing the light next time

take your time with it and you will nail it, even chuck a bit of tissue paper over the light source to soften it slightly if that helps! 1st photo makes a great location for it.

Thanks

I did have baking paper over the light and tried a home made strip box(60cm long,5cm wide by 10cm deep) filled with tin foil to reflect the light, but due to the cheap torch it wasn't producing enough light.

Got yourself a nice new 1 series mate? We picked up the same car but in white last weekend. Given me some ideas now looking at these shots.
Love number 4 most. Good work.

Thanks, its a cracking car, 120d xdrive and a big step up from my 1.2 corsa :) was told the m sport or 135i would have to wait.

Thanks, its a cracking car, 120d xdrive and a big step up from my 1.2 corsa :) was told the m sport or 135i would have to wait.[/QUOTE]

Superb car mate. You can't go wrong with a BMW in my opinion. Mines exactly the same model but I have different alloys. I will try get some pictures up for you to see. Will follow you on Flickr.

So from a total newbie when it comes to this do you ( in theory and in a very simple form ) park the car in the dark and using the camera on a tripod take the picture with a long shutter speed and then shine a torch ( or similar ) on it ??

Great pictures by the way.

So from a total newbie when it comes to this do you ( in theory and in a very simple form ) park the car in the dark and using the camera on a tripod take the picture with a long shutter speed and then shine a torch ( or similar ) on it ??

Great pictures by the way.

exactly this, f8 30s exposure and move the torch over the bits you want lit, as was pointed out above its a lot trickier to get it perfect though.

Get the big maglite pal :)

does the torch matter, I read LED was better.. true or not?

I don't actually know to be exact. It's more the fact the maglite is hugely powerful.

I have had a go and it's harder than it looks.
No 1 for me is the best due to the clean lines.
No 2 bonnet needs more light
No 3 whells need turning
No 4 needs more light down the side unless you was trying to show the door handle lights. This is my 2nd favourite out of the 4

Baz

Back