Light Painted MX5

PGD

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Wakefield City Council commissioned Graffiti Artists to show of their skills in this underpass just under the M1 Motorway, and they did a fine job too!

Leading on from this inspiration a small group of Talk Photography forum members met up to photograph the artwork, share ideas and play with some long exposure techniques.

After some Wire Wool spinning, Light Orbs and Light Trails I showed them how I go about Light Painting a car - and here's the result.

Painted NC by PGDesigns.co.uk, on Flickr

Like everything about it but wish the blown area was not so bright.

Yeah the blown area was intentional, and is completely fake. Without it you'd see through the tunnel and pick up on all the general crap through the other side, which I felt was more distracting.

We can't please everyone

Thanks for the comments (y)

Great shot, and the blown out tunnel is probably the most intelligently thought out aspect of the shot; without it you'd lose the shape and defining edges of the car.

No other shots I'm afraid.

Maybe I should mention this shot was only done to illustrate my Light Painting technique to the other TP members at the meet. It was never meant to be a perfect result..

That's a cracker Phil!

Lighting's great, overall compo & balance works well and the blown haze further down the tunnel is the best solution to deal with what the location gave you- you can't silhouette black on black, after all.

Is that some sneaky light spill upper left, in front of the graffiti?

Perfect.. Something i will have to try !

Nice shot.

PGD said:
Shhh - no one's noticed that yet :LOL:

Thanks for the feedback everyone (y)

I noticed it just didnt say anything. Is that the green battery indicator from your light by any chance? :)

Yeah the blown area was intentional, and is completely fake. Without it you'd see through the tunnel and pick up on all the general crap through the other side, which I felt was more distracting.
:

Precisely what I would have said and done if I took the shot. (y)

cool shot and location im into photographing my other past time my collection of aircooled vw's be interesting to know the location of this tunnel

Sean

yeah it is in holbeck under the M621 police drove by a couple of times while was taking the pictures and didnt really bat an eye as were the passers by using the underpass, towars the end of the night some hoons in a corsa did drive by hurl some abuse and some eggs at which point we exited stage left so to speak.
Cheers for the info about the tunnel gonna have to go check it out

Sean

I LOVE that Phil. I've checked out the location - Were you at the East end, or the west end of the underpass?

I've a client down in Wakefield who's wanting a shoot - been looking for a good spot down there... might have to take the Exige down and reccy it one eve - I'll let you know If I do.

@OuttaFocus - yep same location as my recent Lotus shoots - a cracking place, save for some questionable characters in the vicinity from time to time. police didn't bother me either, despite it technically being a pedestrian zone and cycle route - although the drop kerb helps to get low slung cars up there. :D

I've a client down in Wakefield who's wanting a shoot - been looking for a good spot down there... might have to take the Exige down and reccy it one eve - I'll let you know If I do.
I couldn't possibly tell you, you'll have to drop by mine on the way there so I can show you :D

Back