Light position for shoot

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been asked by a friend who's in the Royal Navy to photograph his shipmates and their partners at a mess dinner. I have been asked to take a photograph of each sailor with their patner, and have been given a small reception room to do this in. I only have 2 Interfit 150w flashheads with shoot through brollies and i'm getting a bit stressed about what lighting set up to go with.

1st set up.
1st head positioned high to my side at a 45' to the couple (key light)
2nd head low infront of me pointing up as my fill light

2nd set up.
1 head positioned high each side of me at 45' pointing down to the couple.

I will be shooting at a black background as thats all i've got with the navy flag pinned to it for effect.

help me please any ideas wellcome.

Your first setup has a problem in that if the person nearer to the light is also nearer to the camera, you'll get a shadow on the other person. How severe the shadow is will depend on the key/fill ratio.

Your second setup produces poor lighting in that there are conflicting light sources and everyone ends up with a fat face - but it's the standard lighting for this type of photography because it's quick, easy and effective.

If you're using shoot through umbrellas the light is going to spread around quite a lot. You'll have to get a fair bit of distance between subject and background to prevent light from affecting the background.

I would say you may want to reduce the 45 degrees and bring the lights closer to the camera angle to reduce shadow spread. Are the ceiling/walls white? You may want to look at bouncing the light. Best thing would be if you could have a trial run at location.

Use one light to light the background, that will kill the shadow from the subjects.

If they are not posed flat on to you, but turn slightly away, half shoulder towards the lens, the off camera flash should be directed towards them flat from the side. If you don't point the umbrella AT the subjects, but have it turned slightly so you are lighting out of the "corner" of the brolly, you will get softer, more even light. That will kill the shadow from one person onto the other.

Back