Beginner Light recommendations for a home studio

Name
Gayle
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm looking to buy a light and a soft box and light meter to create a simple one light home studio set up just for me to learn a bit more about controlling light. I wandering if anyone can recommend some decent brands here in the UK. I follow a lot of free online tutorials from Adorama and know of Bowens but they are all US brands so shipping is expensive. I don't have a lot to spend so I'm looking for cheaper but still decent quality. Any recommendations would be very useful as I really don't have a clue. Thanks

Have a look at Lencarta.

+1 for Lencarta My home studio is 4m x 8m and 200 watt/sec is more than enough.

Softbox and reflector and away you go.

No lightmetre fill the frame with a white card and adjust aperture and/or light until the histogram is a fag paper away from the right hand end.

I use a light meter as I find it useful in all my photography. I have a Sekonik 308 and find it very good.

You might not "need" a meter, but in my opinion, it makes things easier if you are starting out.

I use a light meter as I find it useful in all my photography. I have a Sekonik 308 and find it very good.

You might not "need" a meter, but in my opinion, it makes things easier if you are starting out.
I used a light meter for years with film. I've still got one, but I take a photo, have a look, and adjust the settings accordingly.

I used a light meter for years with film. I've still got one, but I take a photo, have a look, and adjust the settings accordingly.

I take alight reading, look, and usually it is ok, or easily tweaked. When starting out I found a meter a great help, and for outside shots in difficult light I much prefer an incident light reading.

Hi Gayle.

If you want a brand with customer service, check Lencarta first, their website is also a great source of tutorials.

Also look at Essential Photo and Bessel.

If you really think you need a meter buy one second hand, there's nothing to 'wear out' so the risk is low, and if you don't use it much, you can sell it for little loss.

Thanks, I will have a think about the light meter. In all the tutorials I watch it seems to be what they use regularly. Great I'm going to look up Lencarta, any advice on whether I should go for continuous or flash lighting. Lighting really confuses me. Im considering in time getting a speedlight which I know is good if you want your lighting to be portable. Would a speedlight be a good option for a home studio light though? Thanks for all your help

Great thanks for that advice Phil. I will do that. I think the Seconic meter is a bit pricey, thought I have heard it recommended by plenty, any other cheaper but still good recommendations?

Thanks, I will have a think about the light meter. In all the tutorials I watch it seems to be what they use regularly. Great I'm going to look up Lencarta, any advice on whether I should go for continuous or flash lighting. Lighting really confuses me. Im considering in time getting a speedlight which I know is good if you want your lighting to be portable. Would a speedlight be a good option for a home studio light though? Thanks for all your help
I'd get studio flash as it's easier to learn with than speed lights due to having modelling lamps etc.

Great thanks for that advice Phil. I will do that. I think the Seconic meter is a bit pricey, thought I have heard it recommended by plenty, any other cheaper but still good recommendations?

I bought a Minolta Autometer IIIf from eBay for a pittance, but it took patience to get a cheap one, and prices have gone up a bit since I bought mine.

But to underline 2 of my points, I've only used it a handful of times, and it's now worth more than I paid for it :)

Speedlights can be used in a studio setting, but if you want to learn lighting, a studio head is better value.

And definitely not continuous for shooting people.

I bought a Minolta Autometer IIIf from eBay for a pittance, but it took patience to get a cheap one, and prices have gone up a bit since I bought mine.

But to underline 2 of my points, I've only used it a handful of times, and it's now worth more than I paid for it :)
I bought one too, fitted a battery to check it worked, and haven't used it since. :)

I have a Sekonic L308 picked up for £40 not a essential piece of kit but useful if you move on to using multiple flash units.
I use it with my studio heads but also my speedlights.
If I had not already some studio heads I would definitely be looking at the Lencarta range.
I would also be choosing the route your starting out with one light and one reflector it's amazing just what can be achieved with minimalist amount of lighting gear

Last edited:
Thank you Phiggy's , I will definitely check that out. Great Lencarta seems to be the place to look and I will search for a second hand meter.

I bought a light meter when I started out and it did help the learning process but I sold it after about a year as once you know what you are doing and learn what your kit can do its not really needed.
Incidentally I have lencarta gear and its perfect for the home studio environment, the limitations of working in a confined space with white or light coloured walls will be a challenge.

Back