Light Seals

Plain Nev

Vincent Furnier
Name
Neville
Edit My Images
Yes
You can usually tell when your light seals have turned to glue. I am currently pondering on the condition of the seals in my Pentax S1A. And my main question is, does the mirror have a bumper strip? I can't actually tell. There's a rubber curtain which seems common on Pentax cameras of that vintage. But does it conceal a foam bumper?

I dont have that model so I cannot answer your query. However, my Pentax SV has the remains of a foam light seal just at the front right of the focus screen. This is only about 5mm long and it is clear that there was never any more foam in there. There is, though, a small triangular mechanical damper on the right of the throat about halfway along the side of the focus screen – this might have obviated the need for any more foam. My Pentax SP does have a foam damper along the front of the focus screen and also has this triangular mechanical damper as the SV does (what I am calling a mechanical damper might well have some other function but it is certainly going to damp the last part of the motion of the mirror).

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
Just looked in my S1a, with a torch and the built in mirror - no sign of foam or evidence of there having been any, But looking at https://learncamerarepair.com/downloads/pdf/Pate-Pentax-S1a-CLA.pdf near the end page 55 shows there should be 2 bits

I tried your trick of looking in the mirror with a torch. And yes, there is a foam bumper, but just in the one corner. It's the same on my S3. So, I'm assuming that is pretty much par for the course. Both seem in good condition, so I'm happy with that.

Back