Light Trails - Where to shoot them (Google Maps)

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I've made this map of places that I've discovered on Google Maps which will suit Light Trails.

I've made it so anyone can add locations so feel free to add any which you have been to or intend on going!

LINK

For anyone that wants to add their own location please add myself or MWHCVT with some details!

I think you need to register for a google account and then click edit this will open three boxes in the top left of the map, select the place mark symbol and then drop it where is required.

For anyone that wants to learn how to create this type of shot click here for a guide written by MWHCVT.

Last edited:
I'm so pleased that you have done this as I was thinking only yesterday that this would be a good thing to have, I will add my locations on to it and also add it to my favourites.

Also I have added you as a contact on flickr

Matt
MWHCVT

Cool, its good to see other places which look ideal! Will have to take the time to put descriptions on the ones I have been to like you have.

Have added you too on flickr.

I did post this in general photography yesterday but after a day being there it had no interest so im hoping it will be seen more here.

I'm so pleased that you have done this as I was thinking only yesterday that this would be a good thing to have, I will add my locations on to it and also add it to my favourites.

Also I have added you as a contact on flickr

Matt
MWHCVT

Right that is all my locations uploaded, I have linked and example photo for each location ;) I have also included my location at EMA - East Midlands Airport this is an alternative light trials location where it is the planes and not cars/trucks that are providing the trails. I hope that other members will add their locations as this could become a truly valuable tool to all TP Members that enjoy light trails

Matt
MWHCVT

Ill add mine to the list, it was done ages ago. I need to get out and do more once my remote shutter release cable turns up for my new cameras.

Where is the option to add a location, I can't for the life of me see it?

Last edited:
Ill add mine to the list, it was done ages ago. I need to get out and do more once my remote shutter release cable turns up for my new cameras.

Where is the option to add a location, I can't for the life of me see it?

Great, you need to have a google account, as it happens I had registered one years ago and forgot but managed to get logged into it, once you are logged in its simple at the top of the map in the left corner you will see a placemark symbol click that and that allows you to add you location.

Matt
MWHCVT

Added 3 of mine.....will be hoping to do a lot more in 2011 and will add if I remember.....thinking that you may have started something here.........wonder if the forum could set one up for interesting spots for photos...???

Great work thanks for adding them, have looked at you trails on flickr and they look good, have added you as a contact

Matt
MWHCVT

I cant seem to find any way of adding my location... am i missing something?

how do i go about adding my places to the map[drop pin etc..]?

I think you need to register for a google account and then click edit this will open three boxes in the top left of the map, select the place mark symbol and then drop it where is required.

I think my advice may be late but as I think that you have now figured it out, we now have our first location in wales, and the map is starting to fill up.

Matt
MWHCVT

Glad to see a great response to this! Will definitely refer to this map if I'll be traveling anywhere.

Have edited the first post with a quote from Matt explaining how to add your own locations if your struggling.

Glad to see this still getting used despite it getting moved to this section of the forum where it won't get seen as well. ;(

On a side note, does anyone understand how Google mymaps permissions work? It appears if I let everyone add their own this will also allow everyone to delete what ever they want. Only takes 1 idiot to ruin it all. Wanted to sort this as I will post it around the net more on other forums and on flickr etc to get it more popular.

Hi, I've made this map of places that I've discovered on Google Maps which will suit Light Trails.

I've made it so anyone can add locations so feel free to add any which you have been to or intend on going!

LINK

For anyone struggling to add their own locations:

For anyone that wants to learn how to create this type of shot click here for a guide written by MWHCVT.

Thats wierd, i was just thinking about asking a mod if we could have a sticky for Waterfalls or features in the various areas of the country like North East etc.:)
Phil

On a side note, does anyone understand how Google mymaps permissions work? It appears if I let everyone add their own this will also allow everyone to delete what ever they want. Only takes 1 idiot to ruin it all. Wanted to sort this as I will post it around the net more on other forums and on flickr etc to get it more popular.

I'm not sure you can... I think if you set it up as a public group then its pretty much a free for all... only way would be to have you as the "Moderator" and have everyone tell u where they want points... but that seems a lot of hard work for you!!

A few Leeds shots now on. I have some more somewhere but I'm not very organised so I can't find them!

Anyone know how to insert a clickable links in as has been done for Cocken Road??

Cheers.

Not much in Essex :crying:

I will add a couple shortly on pc - doesn't appear to work very well from iPad!

Hi Ben, just to let you know that I have added a link to this thread onto my guide, looks like things are developing well on the map but someone appears to have had made an error when adding there location onto the map, they added M5 Exeter but some how changed the title and description of the map without the location actually being place marked on the map, I have put the place mark onto the map but am not able to correct the things that they have changed on the title and description area you may want to take a look at this.

Matt
MWHCVT

Hi Ben, just to let you know that I have added a link to this thread onto my guide, looks like things are developing well on the map but someone appears to have had made an error when adding there location onto the map, they added M5 Exeter but some how changed the title and description of the map without the location actually being place marked on the map, I have put the place mark onto the map but am not able to correct the things that they have changed on the title and description area you may want to take a look at this.

Matt
MWHCVT

Hi

Thanks for the link and letting me know about that. Did manage to fix it, but this is my worry. That's just a harmless mistake but people could really do some damage to the map. Suprised there isnt an option so that I can make it so people can only add locations, not edit them and others too.:bang:

Ben

Hi

Thanks for the link and letting me know about that. Did manage to fix it, but this is my worry. That's just a harmless mistake but people could really do some damage to the map. Suprised there isnt an option so that I can make it so people can only add locations, not edit them and others too.:bang:

Ben

I would think that maybe there is an option for people to add a location and then it gets approved by a moderator but really would not know, if this ends up being the solution let me know, I would be able to help out if you required help.

Matt
MWHCVT

The map is a great idea, does anyone have good recommendations round the Northampton area?

I would think that maybe there is an option for people to add a location and then it gets approved by a moderator but really would not know, if this ends up being the solution let me know, I would be able to help out if you required help.

Matt
MWHCVT

Think I've sorted it, if you don't mind if you could PM me your GMAIL account address I'll make you a mod.

Also, could anyone test to see if they can actually add something now? Just want to check it works.

If anyone that wants to add details/location onto the map pleased post:

• Link to example photo (if applicable)

Ben (lolage) or myself will see that it gets added onto the map, it has been closed off to free editing to avoid damage to the map by errors or those so inclined to ruin a great resource not that anyone from TP would do that I am sure.

Matt
MWHCVT

Hi All,
just had a look on the map (great idea by the way!) and one of you (jamie_white?) has posted up a place near me.
I called in on the way home tonight and got a feel for it.
I will try and post the result in the gallery.

If not it's on my flickr page and web page below, I'm still getting to grips with uploading here...

JB

Glad its been of some use!

Ben

Hi Ben,

Great idea, I noticed your first light trail was of the M5 from the bridge on Carters lane.
Small world as I live just up the road by the Royal Oak Pub so less than 5 minutes walk for me to that bridge. May try it out sometime!

Cheers

Ben - Yup another one!

Hi Ben,

Great idea, I noticed your first light trail was of the M5 from the bridge on Carters lane.
Small world as I live just up the road by the Royal Oak Pub so less than 5 minutes walk for me to that bridge. May try it out sometime!

Cheers

Ben - Yup another one!

Ah fair enough! That was my first go at it and just had a look on google maps for a bridge along the motorway with a nice curve. :geek:

The only thing about that location is that there are street lights which can be seen to spoil it but it can work well!

Just a quick update, We now have a few more locations further up the M1 thanks to the details provided by fellow TP members, if you have any location that you want adding onto the map get them posted and we will make sure that they are uploaded.

Matt
MWHCVT

AdamK said:
Ive just tried to add a few locations as Ive been out doing light trails tonight but I cant figure it out at all, will try again tomorrow.

Either Ben (lolage) or myself has to do it ATM because there is no suitable way to protect the map from damage from errors or someone intent on spoiling it if you pm the details I will see that they are added for you

Matt
MWHCVT

Back