Lighting for Portraits?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I have a Nikon D40 with a Nikkor 18-55mm lens and also a Sigma 70-300mm lens, and have had them for about 6 months. I have taken it on Holiday to the USA and have really nice pictures, but im starting to want to take some portrait and more professional looking photos of people.
I want to try and get the effect of places like venture, where people actually go to have them taken.
I think it is the lighting that is my big problem, it never looks right!
I don't have use of a Studio and am wondering of there are any tips people could give me for either taking photos or any equipment i should buy.
The only problem is that im a student and so price is a problem, as much as i would love to spend £££££, i cant!
Thanks in advance,
James

Hi all,
I have a Nikon D40 with a Nikkor 18-55mm lens and also a Sigma 70-300mm lens, and have had them for about 6 months. I have taken it on Holiday to the USA and have really nice pictures, but im starting to want to take some portrait and more professional looking photos of people.
I want to try and get the effect of places like venture, where people actually go to have them taken.
I think it is the lighting that is my big problem, it never looks right!
I don't have use of a Studio and am wondering of there are any tips people could give me for either taking photos or any equipment i should buy.
The only problem is that im a student and so price is a problem, as much as i would love to spend £££££, i cant!
Thanks in advance,
James

White bedsheet for a background and floor would be a cheap start, James (y)

Do you have a flash at all?

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forums! (y)

The only flash I have is the one built into the camera! I thought that, so later i will be off to buy a cheap bedsheet!!

and i forgot to say, i also have a tripod and a remote control!

Thanks for the welcome!

You want to try and avoid using that on camera flash if you can. In the absense of a separate flash you'd get better results using natural light from a window if your circumstances allow it. As soon as you can stretch to it you should fork out for a flashgun with an umbrella and stand and get playing with that.

There are three routes to take here James. One is to go for studio flash heads (expensive) the others are to go for the camera manufacterer's flash or go for a non dedicated setup.

The camera manufacturer route is, in some ways, easier because they retain communication and you get metering done for you. The downside is price.

The other way is to get some cheap radio triggers off ebay and use a non dedicated flash like vivitar.

If you use Nikon, some of the older flashes are compatable, just be careful of trigger voltages. That info can often be found on t'internet.

Have a look here:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Have fun. :)

If you want to have a low cost try at studio flash work, you could do a lot worse than buy one of item number 170263826942, and a stand or a pair ebay item 170261119839 or 170262263384. Will cost you less than a decent on camera flash (about £70 for a single light and stand).

Okay, I have a pair of each and they do a job. I will not pretend that the lights are built to the same standard as my Elinchrom 400BXs (the modelling light is not proportional) or that the stands are as good as the Elinchrom versions, but for the price, they are amazing little lights and the stands suit them brilliantly (quicklock adjust too).

I bought one of the lights with a softbox and one with a set of barndoors, grid and coloured gels, this gives me a lot of options and I can use them as fill, hairlight or background lights when using the Elinchroms, but have also used them very successfully on their own.

Give real studio flash a try for less than a reasonable night out!

Thanks EdBray, and this is where I really sound like an idiot! How would i use it with a softbox? I have seen them used, but not quite sure how to do it!!

Okay, watch this series! but you have to put up with the Geordie accent. Some very good tips though and will fully explain some studio portraiture techniques with some good examples!

Okay, watch this series! but you have to put up with the Geordie accent. Some very good tips though and will fully explain some studio portraiture techniques with some good examples!

Excellent link. Funny like hell too sometimes (the joke parts), especially with his accent.

Back