Beginner Lighting up wildlife at night

I've heard of lamping rabbits, but never seals.. :D

good high ISO cameras cost ££££. probably safer option than aggravating them with lighting. :D

Your better chance is to set radio flashes to cover
an area that will be occupied later by subjects.

Flashes won't disturb the seals but their positions
should be safe and efficient. Working in TTL will
permit all flashes to output independently and fit
the area in the frame.

This is your better chance but you'll need power and
substantial budget.

the seals will be disturbed by a flash, why not just work with available light, its better for the animals and there is a real risk you could be attacked by an adult if you get to close to the pups

I see on the link you posted that he does workshops, so it may be a good idea to attend one of these, especially as you aspire to his style of photography!

I see on the link you posted that he does workshops, so it may be a good idea to attend one of these, especially as you aspire to his style of photography!

+1

He certainly seems very skilled and has his way about things. Also the seal pup shot he posted was achieved with a (very very) long exposure it seems. With such a long exposure I am not sure if he used any external lighting...
Plus you can always contact him for more details on his photo. People are normally helpful :)

I am actually interested in urban fox photography myself... there quite a few of them around my place. Thanks for the link, think I'll contact him for some advice myself now :D:D

This is the type of style Id love to practice with if it helps http://jamiehallphotography.photoshelter.com/image/I00006G1Fa3jlERE
Not personally a style I'd copy. I wouldn't feel comfortable hitting a seal pups night-adjusted eyes with a burst of unexpected flash, or even a torch.

With such a long exposure I am not sure if he used any external lighting...
If you look at the photo it's very obvious that there's an artificial light source involved. He even identifies it as an Elinchrom Quadra Ranger in the tags.

Back