Lightmeters

robhooley167

Sir, my fingers are stuck together
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Im looking into getting a lightmeter for use with my RB67, i have an old Leningrad 4 meter but its just not cutting it really. Can you recommend some that arent too expensive but are accurate enough?

Thanks

robhooley167 said:
Hi all

Im looking into getting a lightmeter for use with my RB67, i have an old Leningrad 4 meter but its just not cutting it really. Can you recommend some that arent too expensive but are accurate enough?

Thanks

Almost all of the modern(ish) Sekonics, and if you can get one which has been adjusted to work with alkalines (rather than mercury batteries), most of the Gossen line up.

Almost all of the modern(ish) Sekonics, and if you can get one which has been adjusted to work with alkalines (rather than mercury batteries), most of the Gossen line up.

thanks a lot, having a look around on fleabay for some :)

Hi all

Thanks

Weston meter III, IV and above are VG if not wanted for low light conditions. (y)

I use a Weston Master II with my RB, not very good in low light but convenient out-of-doors or with good daylight through a window indoors.

I picked up a weston v on fleabay for i think it was £15,you can,t go wrong at that price.:)

With older light meters, especially selenium based ones like most of the Westons, just look for signs that the cell won't have suffered too much abuse (and thus, make sure it's more likely to have had a nice life). If it looks like it's been cased, for instance, probably a good sign.

I believe there was a company that did service them to give them many years of extra life, although I'm not sure if that service is still available.

I believe there was a company that did service them to give them many years of extra life, although I'm not sure if that service is still available.

That particular company closed down a couple of years ago, but apparently Newton Ellis & Co can replace the cells in Weston meters and re-calibrate them. Don't have a clue how much it would cost though. Its on their repairs page:

http://www.newtonellis.co.uk/

Well - I'm really happy with my Sekonic L358, which does double duty as a flash meter as well as incident/reflected light, and can take attachments for 1deg spot metering. Not exactly cheap - but definitely accurate and reliable, which is the important thing in my book :shrug:

I'd be wary of some of the older selenium cell types - they're getting a bit long in the tooth now and the accuracy might be rather dubious. I'd definitely go for a digital meter if possible -Ffordes usually have a good second hand selection.

At the risk of being accused of heresy - a small digital compact makes a pretty damned good meter and most aren't much larger than a decent hand held meter. If it has a zoom lens so that you can match the field of view to your RB67 the results should be very accurate.

At the risk of being accused of heresy - a small digital compact makes a pretty damned good meter and most aren't much larger than a decent hand held meter. If it has a zoom lens so that you can match the field of view to your RB67 the results should be very accurate.

Not Heresy at all as far as I'm concerned - in fact I've done just that with my G11 on occasion.(y)

Not heresy at all IMO - if it does the job, and it's reliable and a possible tool in your arsenal, why not?! It makes a lot of sense, especially if you carry one anyway or if it's not that much trouble in the first place. I had my D7000 metering when I last used my Yashica Mat...

MY G9 gets pressed into service now and again. :D

This little baby:

gTUVh-maipn2NPEs2mFuvpiOcXLlc1kN8nxinRvoCHto-NVOzerQYxJj-nQxt_kiO9DK2Hxen7nerjidd_j7ymi8YpFmUXD7qtQpa-apoqpFcgX_3Py4keeCOdx99stuunfKz55QnsR4_sHH0qVowduy5F3qdtYOMIMDj6Wk8ceWGzLnur-SkuVNTjNYFrem

It will do everything you need - outdoor, landscape; indoor; studio flash. And it runs off an AA battery.

Of course the rest of the Sekonic series are higher up and all do the same - but not at this price! And it's really pocketable and easy to slip in a pocket anywhere you go :)

This little baby:

gTUVh-maipn2NPEs2mFuvpiOcXLlc1kN8nxinRvoCHto-NVOzerQYxJj-nQxt_kiO9DK2Hxen7nerjidd_j7ymi8YpFmUXD7qtQpa-apoqpFcgX_3Py4keeCOdx99stuunfKz55QnsR4_sHH0qVowduy5F3qdtYOMIMDj6Wk8ceWGzLnur-SkuVNTjNYFrem

It will do everything you need - outdoor, landscape; indoor; studio flash. And it runs off an AA battery.

Of course the rest of the Sekonic series are higher up and all do the same - but not at this price! And it's really pocketable and easy to slip in a pocket anywhere you go :)

Very nice, but you could buy another film camera for that price.....and I always suggest that photographers should go shooting with two cameras, one for backup or at least to take exposure readings if first camera is all manual........and yes I do take a 35mm camera with me if using my RB67 ( or Etrs) and duplicate the shots, just to see differences for interest and also backup.

Another film camera isn't much use for taking light readings from flash though is it.

Another film camera isn't much use for taking light readings from flash though is it.

...and if your main camera breaks down your Sekonic meter ain't much good for taking photos ;).

For the RB67 indoors (and sometimes outdoors), I used to use this:-
http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/massodax-fm-1-flash-meter-help--84095

For 35mm, a T90 + 300TL flash gun can balance ambient light and flash if reqd.
e.g. T90 + 300TL flashgun + 28mm lens, dev and scan at Tesco, few spots touched up in PS:-
FD28or35mm5800px.jpg

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/massodax-fm-1-flash-meter-help--84095

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice, I managed to get a gossen lunasix F with spot meter adapter for a good price, does the job nicely and is accurate with alkaline batteries, not too pocketable though :p

Back