Lightning Strike

Whist you guys were viewing I was asleep and when I awoke and logged on this morning, you were all turning in.
I had to rub my eyes to be sure that I had so many replies. Well I thank you each and all -
normally I would choose to do so individually but in this instance I'm sure you will understand.
However, I need to respond to some specific comments that you made.

IanDJ: The squarish crop removed superfluous image to the right -
not possible to predict where lightning would appear, so post-composed accordingly.

Trapper501: The tiny figure is my partner, Sandra.
Being an angel she was entirely safe.

Goldeeno: f/14 @ 1/8 @ iso 100 @ 28mm (equiv)

bonsyde: Indeed, I guess it just did not occur to me that a metal tripod might act as a lightning rod,
although aluminium is non-ferrous isn't it? (assuming it makes any difference if you're dead!) :shrug:

Absolutely fantastic photo! :D:clap::clap::clap:

Indeed, I guess it just did not occur to me that a metal tripod might act as a lightning rod,
although aluminium is non-ferrous isn't it? (assuming it makes any difference if you're dead!) :shrug:

ermmm...... Although a tripod attracting lightning would be extremely "unfortunate" and unlikely, being made of aluminium, (what national grid cables are made of BTW, not copper) it would conduct the current awfully well!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

anyway, again this is a very "striking" (sorry, couldn't help myself) photo and deserves to be above someone's mantelpiece IMO. i know i'd buy it if i saw it as a poster. :clap:

ermmm...... Although a tripod attracting lightning would be extremely "unfortunate" and unlikely, being made of aluminium, (what national grid cables are made of BTW, not copper) it would conduct the current awfully well!!! anyway, again this is a very "striking" (sorry, couldn't help myself) photo and deserves to be above someone's mantelpiece IMO. i know i'd buy it if i saw it as a poster. :clap:
Well sarge - NOW you tell me! Why ... I might well have been killed! :geek: But thanks for a lavish compliment! :)
Umm..... beach, lightning, tripod. You are a brave man. But what an amazing shot:clap:
Being blissfully ignorant of the danger, bravery played no part.
The enormity of my stupidity no doubt insulated me from an ignominious cremation. :wacky:

Great stuff Mark! The first photo I've seen on this site that makes me think "Wish it was mine"!

Trapper501: The tiny figure is my partner, Sandra.
Being an angel she was entirely safe.
Or so you told her!

BTW, don't let all the talk of strikes put you off trying this again. :)

Awesome shot! Capturing a lightning strike like this is on my photography to-do list, im jealous.

I think you can safely tick lightning off your to-do list.

Truly a fabulous shot, including the reflection (and getting it) was genious.
Wandering around with a lightning conductor was not :D

:clap::clap::clap:

That is just amazing.!! :clap:

I so wish I could catch a shot like that. A definate one for the wall. (y)

Just a phenominal shot. Outstanding.
Goes to show that to capture the great images, you have to be out there.
Share a little concern with the tripod and lightning, but the eventual picture is just spectacular.
Hope Sandra is well insured also!:LOL:
Paul

Awesome picture, definitely worth going out for.
Thanks. We just happened to be out walking when the storm blew in.
Excellent!
Thanks Lee.
Great stuff Mark! The first photo I've seen on this site that makes me think "Wish it was mine"!
Or so you told her!
BTW, don't let all the talk of strikes put you off trying this again. :)
Ignorance was bliss mate. So I won't go pushing my luck!
WOW. thats amazing
Thanks mate.
Superb shot.
Well worth the effort. Spence
Thanks spence - it was fun if foolish!
Awesome shot! Capturing a lightning strike like this is on my photography to-do list, im jealous.
Aside from lightning storms I personally like shooting in the rain - no high contrast and colours are so much richer..
wow love it i bet you run after a while lol
Thanks and you're not wrong there mate! :)
I think you can safely tick lightning off your to-do list.
Truly a fabulous shot, including the reflection (and getting it) was genious.
Wandering around with a lightning conductor was not
Thanks a lot RV. Well, I would be more than surprised if I were able to pull it off again - a luck intensive 'one time only' thing I'd say. As for the lightning conductor I was carring - that thought never occured to me! :D :wacky:
That is just amazing.!! :clap: I so wish I could catch a shot like that. A definate one for the wall.
Thanks Vinny - and if you do get the chance then you will be more aware of the risk than I was!
Just a phenominal shot. Outstanding.
Goes to show that to capture the great images, you have to be out there.
Share a little concern with the tripod and lightning, but the eventual picture is just spectacular. Hope Sandra is well insured also!:LOL: Paul
To those that know me I am well known for my foolhardiness, especially when it comes to photography. I once had Sandra tie a rope around my ankles to enable me to lie on my belly with my upper body extended over a precipice to take a fisheye shot that included the cliff face in the foreground - premium stupidity.
About the best lightning shot I've seen.
Thanks Tiger.

Wow, that's a superb shot.

Fantastic :clap:

:clap::clap::clap:FANTASTIC:clap::clap::clap:

I don't know if anyone else has said it, but great shot

Not something that would have been so easy with a film camera :)

Wow, that's a superb shot.
Absolutely fantastic photo!
Well done, a very hard subject to capture and you have managed it shockingly well.
What they all said!:)
Wow excellent.:clap:
I don't like it. Doh! Great shot.
Fantastic :clap:
FANTASTIC
Superb capture, one in a million ! well done.
absolutely superb, hats off to you
I don't know if anyone else has said it, but great shot Not something that would have been so easy with a film camera :)
one of the best lightning shots i've seen in aaaages!
Thank you each and all. Once again I am overwhelmed by your unexpected responses. As for the picture, all I can add to what I've already said is that I was quite surprised when I got home, downloaded the card and saw what I had in this one particular shot - the gods (on Mt Olympus of course!) had awarded me a booby prize for defying their wrath!

Can I add my congratulations to those of others for surviving to show us this absolute delight of an image.

(y)

This made me cry :)
No but really that is unreal, congrats

(y) W O W (y)

Where abouts was the shot taken? Spent some time in Tasmania last year, beautiful place :)

Back