Lightroom 2 help needed!

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got lightroom 2 installed on an external drive with all my photos which I tend to use with my laptop, but I want to be able to edit photos on a desktop computer (which has Lightroom 2 installed) - is it possible to do this with the edits showing up on both computers?

I tried importing the catalogue from the external hard drive to the desktop, which was ok but I had to right click to find the folders and files after the import.

If I edit a photo on the desktop then the edit isn't showing up on the laptop and vice versa and being a newbie to lightroom I can't work out what I have to do!!!

On the laptop the external drive is showing up as drive F but on the desktop it's showing up as drive J so I'm wondering if this is part of the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I believe that Lightroom will not support a shared catalogue and multiple workstations.
I had the exact same problem on a home network and reading up on the Adobe forums confirmed that there no work around. Fingers crossed that it's a subject to be addressed in future updates.

So you keep the image files on the same ext hd, right.

Sounds like you need to create a catalog on one machine and export it (onto the same ext hd but different location) then import that catalog onto the other machine.

So you keep the image files on the same ext hd, right.

Sounds like you need to create a catalog on one machine and export it (onto the same ext hd but different location) then import that catalog onto the other machine.

That will work, but you can only access it from one point at a time and then need to copy that catalog over prior to using the other access point.
Lightroom won't support multiple accessing of the same image files.

Will be fiddly, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Thanks for the replies - the main reason for wanting to do this is the screen on the laptop not being very good, so I guess the best solution is just to add a monitor to the laptop and keep using the laptop.....never a simple solution is there!

Thanks for the replies - the main reason for wanting to do this is the screen on the laptop not being very good, so I guess the best solution is just to add a monitor to the laptop and keep using the laptop.....never a simple solution is there!

Or ....what i do is plug in the laptop to the LDC TV and edit my pictures from the lounge. I also plug in an external wifi keyboard with touchpad so the laptop sits next to the TV and I can relax on the lounge. :D

Back