Lightroom 2 is here

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
The upgrade is £85 from Lightroom 1.x, it's only $99 in the states though! Has anyone done the upgrade yet?

Downloading the trial at the moment, then might be a case of saving up ;)

Just downloaded and had a quick play. First impressions are excellent, the adjustment brushes alone are one more reason not to need to dip into PS.

Flashy

LR2 running like a dog on my system. Very unhappy with the upgrade, should have waited. Most of it works fine until I try and use the adjustment brushes and the gradients; the things I bought it for :eek:((

Judging by the Adobe forums I'm not alone. It seems to be cumulative, make a few adjustments and it gets slower, then slower again until you can't adjust anything properly because it's taking more than 10 seconds for each command but it's running a stack and remembers everything. At one point I lost track completely and sat and watched while changes caught up one after another for nearly two minutes. If only it would crash.

Biggest waste of £80 I've ever made.

Played with it a bit tonight, the ND filters work great for retrieving bad skies, Looks very impressive .I'll keep making adjustments and see what how slow my PC will get, then decide

I like it and some of the more local editing options will save me a lot of time. The skin smoothing tool seems very clever! :)

So far no performance issues but then I'm using a Dell XPS Quad Core2Extreme 3.0, 4GB Ram and an 8800GTX system which I'm sure helps a lot with this. :D It is definitely noticeable slower than CS3, although in retrospect Lightroom is working on a massive RAW file so I guess it's not so bad!

works fine on my pooter...just picked up a cheap quad core dell from tescos and works flawlessly. Good bit are the add on camera profiles so hopefully they should get nearer DPP raw conversions more easily.

Ive just got my upgrade to LR2 email from adobe, I think Ill upgrade when Ive got my head together having just woke up, although I think £85 is a bit on the steep side but as LR is great its probably worth getting as I cant afford PS CS3, let alone know how to work it :>

The performance issues people have mentioned is a tad worrying but as I have a system very similar to gman I think I should be ok, and the new features look quite nice.

C.

I'm going to wait until a try before you buy Mac option appears online, then I'll give it a shot :D

hi,

thinking of buying lightroom 2, do you think it is worth the £205 price tag? i already have photoshop cs3, at the moment i import all my images into iphoto and sort them into catergories there, but would like it to work better with photoshop etc.. what you think?

I think it depends on how much editing you do and perhaps how much time you have on your hands. I've only played around on it for a short while but personally I am very impressed with it's local editing options especially the skin smoothing and spot removal. Grad filters are also pretty cool allowing you to change exposure levels (and other options) on sections of the image rather than the whole image which I guess is similar principles to HDR?

I like how it's all under one roof and as I prefer to shoot in RAW rather than JPEG I reckon image processing time will be greatly reduced now for me as I don't have to mess around with conversions until all my editing is done and ready for web (as printing will also go straight from Lightroom). I'm not sure if the quality of prints will be better but logically I guess they will as it'll be working from the RAW file with loss in detail, unless it converts them automatically before print. Can anyone help clarify this please? :)

If LightRoom would integrate Noise Ninja, and you could frame and watermark, that'd be cool

well I have upgraded on the mac. There is a try before you buy option for both mac and pc. Appears like a good upgrade and runs well on my mac pro and MacBook pro. It's worth noting that if you have kids the educational price is £68. So this might help. Only had ten minute play so far though.

well i got suckered in.... :D bought lightroom 2.... just loaded all my photos into it, not really had a play with many features yet, but already love it.

oh and how come the download version costs £211 and the boxed version (box, cd, manual, posting) is £205 :thinking:

think im going to really like this purchase, will let you know how i get on..

chris

LR2 running like a dog on my system. Very unhappy with the upgrade, should have waited. Most of it works fine until I try and use the adjustment brushes and the gradients; the things I bought it for :eek:((

Judging by the Adobe forums I'm not alone. It seems to be cumulative, make a few adjustments and it gets slower, then slower again until you can't adjust anything properly because it's taking more than 10 seconds for each command but it's running a stack and remembers everything. At one point I lost track completely and sat and watched while changes caught up one after another for nearly two minutes. If only it would crash.

Biggest waste of £80 I've ever made.

Same problem here..all galloped to a standstill...sat and watched it catch up with itself:bang:..luckily its only a trial download:shrug:

Same problem here..all galloped to a standstill...sat and watched it catch up with itself:bang:..luckily its only a trial download:shrug:

Lucky for you :thumbsdown:

The only thing I can think of is that it might be a problem with my video card. Or should I say Lightroom's problem with my video card. Mine is a Matrox Parhelia which is extremely good at 2D graphics and chosen for that purpose. Excellent in every graphics program I've thrown at it but probably lousy at games. I have read on an Adobe forum that LR2 might be using the graphics GPU for some of its mathematics. If that is the case I might come up short.

Starrider, what graphics card are you using?

Lucky for you :thumbsdown:

The only thing I can think of is that it might be a problem with my video card. Or should I say Lightroom's problem with my video card. Mine is a Matrox Parhelia which is extremely good at 2D graphics and chosen for that purpose. Excellent in every graphics program I've thrown at it but probably lousy at games. I have read on an Adobe forum that LR2 might be using the graphics GPU for some of its mathematics. If that is the case I might come up short.

Starrider, what graphics card are you using?

Hiya...not very technical here:LOL:but it's a NVIDIA GFORCE 7600GS..does that make sense:shrug:

I use an old 6600 GT and lightroom2 runs perfectly. I wouldn't bother throwing an expensive graphics card at photoshop or lightroom, I reckon memory and cpu are far more important.

Crashes on my PC. Something to do with my Wacom tablet drivers... Looks like I'll be sticking to 1.4 for now until it's fixed.

Back