Lightroom 6

Just spoke with them, very pushy to sell and they seem to push the CC very hard.
After the 12 months you have to resubscribe, and if you don't you lose access to LR6. Si its £102 for a years use, where the stand alone LR6 is £103 and its yours. You have to pay for any updates but saying that if there are only minimal updates in 2 years your effectively paying for LR6 twice with the CC package.

Just spoke with them, very pushy to sell and they seem to push the CC very hard.
After the 12 months you have to resubscribe, and if you don't you lose access to LR6. Si its £102 for a years use, where the stand alone LR6 is £103 and its yours. You have to pay for any updates but saying that if there are only minimal updates in 2 years your effectively paying for LR6 twice with the CC package.

No it's not. It may be £102 for a years use, but that includes PS. Why not compare Apples to Apples. Nobody is forcing you to sign up for CC. It's up to you.

Maybe you do need to resubscribe, I don't know ( my first year hasn't finished yet), but if that's the case, at least they are not auto renewing and giving you the chance to make that choice.

Interesting because i have no interest into photoshop and i was thinking to subscribe but not anymore!

Interesting because i have no interest into photoshop and i was thinking to subscribe but not anymore!

If you just want LR, then buying outright makes sense, just be aware that you will not benefit from any feature updates (other the bug fixes etc) as they are rolled out. You would need to wait until LR 7 is released.

they are dragging a few, (very few), functions into LR from PS - but they don't quite work

If you just want LR, then buying outright makes sense, just be aware that you will not benefit from any feature updates (other the bug fixes etc) as they are rolled out. You would need to wait until LR 7 is released.

Damn. Does that mean I've missed out on some cool feature updates in LRCC that I can't use in LR6?

No it's not. It may be £102 for a years use, but that includes PS. Why not compare Apples to Apples. Nobody is forcing you to sign up for CC. It's up to you.

Maybe you do need to resubscribe, I don't know ( my first year hasn't finished yet), but if that's the case, at least they are not auto renewing and giving you the chance to make that choice.
Ok you get PS use for the year too on the CC package, I'm not interested in PS hence not mentioning it.
The point was at the end of the year and your £102 spent you come away with nothing. I thought you would get to keep the version of LR that you are running at the time.

Very annoying they won't write out the advice but make you watch a long winded video to earn them some YouTube ad revenue :(

Such is the economics of the modern web I suppose!

I started watching the video too but what with the photographer telling you what a wonderful Mac he's got and his little boy making off-set noises, I'm afraid I didn't finish it.

Ok you get PS use for the year too on the CC package, I'm not interested in PS hence not mentioning it.
The point was at the end of the year and your £102 spent you come away with nothing. I thought you would get to keep the version of LR that you are running at the time.

Then buy LR6. You have that option.

Not yet. LR6 and LRCC were exactly the same at release, but LR 6 will not receive feature updates as they are released whereas LRCC will.

Fairly sure this will simply mean cc users will get LR7 for free when it's released in a couple of years time. Can't see them maintaining two versions of lr at the same time, they struggle with just one!

If you don't need Photoshop, buy lightoom outright.

And I shall be sticking £5 into a jar every month. When LR7 is released I'll be able to get it for 'free' plus I'll have £70 extra to spend on food and wine.

That's great. We get it. You don't like the subscription model. That's your choice.
I and many others thing CC is a bargain as we use both LR and PS.

I just upgraded from 5.7 to 6. It required quite a bit of clicking around to find the non-CC version. I do subscribe to Photoshop on CC, but Lightroom I want to continue to own :) Anyway, in the end I found it, and purchased the upgrade, which in the end is much cheaper than the CC version.

I feel that the software has undergone some nice evolution, it has a nice feel and touch to it. I am not seeing anything sensational, and neither HDR nor face recognition is relevant for me.

I was mainly interested in getting the speed increase through the use of the GPU, but that hasn't materialized. At first my GFX card was not supported. I forget which model it is precisely, it's in the 7800 series, I think it is a 7850 or 7870 with 2 GB of RAM. My drivers were about a year old. I updated to the latest drivers availabe from AMD (not beta, but mainstream), and now LR supports the graphics card and uses the GPU. My CPU is a five years old i7 920 (a 4-core CPU) at 2.67 GHz, the system has 12 GB RAM and everything is on SSD (no conventional rotating hard disks anymore).

I don't see any differences in image loading speed (Adobe says loading speeds can be slower, maybe with SSDs the difference is unnoticeable), and I don't see any differences in image processing speeds either. My impression is that in terms of speed, everything is just as fast as before.

I have no crashes or other issues, neither before nor after the update to 6.01.

Overall, I'm not disappointed, as it seems LR6's GUI has undergone some moderate evolution with regard to everyday handling. Anyone hoping for major changes because the GPU support - if definitely takes something much faster than a Radeon 7850 to see any effect of that.

anyone having trouble with the Copy and Paste Development settings option? I did that a lot in LR5 , just tried it in 6 several times and Pasting the settings onto another image doesnt work for me at all.

OK, maybe a bit of a change of heart on this. I am now looking at maybe subscribing to CC but........supposing I don't get the use out of PS to make continual subscription worthwhile does anyone know if I would still be eligible for the £59 standalone upgrade to LR6 (from LR4 currently installed) in a years time? I can't see anything on the Adobe website.

anyone having trouble with the Copy and Paste Development settings option? I did that a lot in LR5 , just tried it in 6 several times and Pasting the settings onto another image doesnt work for me at all.

Strange, copy and paste seems to work better on CC for me. In LR5 it would seemingly randomly, a few times a day just not paste anything. I would then have to go back, copy again, and re-paste, then it would work. Not such problems so far with CC.

yeah it was working ok last night when i was doing something. Just seems a bit intermittent :)

Thanks for the YouTube linky. I will watch it when I have a better connection.

If the feature is anything like the USM LCE (Low Contrast Enhancement) settings in PS then not before time in LR and IMO a vital and useful step for some images........possibly more important in general workflow than HDR or piano stitching!!!

If the above is a correct surmise then as a LR6 standalone user I hope Adobe will adding such features to this version and not just CC version....if only because what with the 6.0.1 correction and "annoyance" about the poor implementation of GPU usage we should all get some feature enhancements not just CC users;)

If the feature is anything like the USM LCE (Low Contrast Enhancement) settings in PS then not before time in LR and IMO a vital and useful step for some images........possibly more important in general workflow than HDR or piano stitching!!!

If the above is a correct surmise then as a LR6 standalone user I hope Adobe will adding such features to this version and not just CC version....if only because what with the 6.0.1 correction and "annoyance" about the poor implementation of GPU usage we should all get some feature enhancements not just CC users;)

Its a new feature. LR 6 users will not get it. You will have to wait until LR7.

That's the benefit of CC.

You'll get any big fixes though. ;)

Last edited:

Lol cant blame anyone for wanting the cake and eat it. However, come on lets get real here.

I'd bought V3 a while ago (using V3.6 now). Is it worthwhile spending £60 for the upgrade to LR6?

does it improve on the pushing of a darker image exposure wise?

Yes. I can't remember the sliders they had in v3, but there is now highlights, shadows, blacks and whites sliders that really help to pull out details.

Clarity (is that even in v3) is much improved and pretty much eliminates the ghosting you used to get.

Why not download a trial?

clarity exists in 3.6 (along with hue and saturation).
the highlights (low, mid high) tones are also there, but I was watching the video earlier about removing ISO noise when pushing the exposure...it's not something I'd seen before and would be of use..

I'd bought V3 a while ago (using V3.6 now). Is it worthwhile spending £60 for the upgrade to LR6?
Adobe changed the raw developer in LR4 from "process 2010" to "process 2012" and for me that made a big difference.
I had previously been unimpressed with LR 1, 2 & 3 but the improvements in LR4 made me adopt LR as my preferred raw developer.
I'm still debating whether to update to LR 6, since at present I'm happy with 5.7.
If you shop around you may be able to get a good price on LR 5 if you don't need the extra features of 6.

Hi - I took the plunge last night anyway - the upgrade price of £59 was reasonable enough.
Not had a chance to see anything (apart from the MAP page) that looks different to 3 - guess it's all under the bonnet (hood).

Anyone tried it yet? Have they added it as an option to the local adjustment brushes? Seems they might have missed a trick if it's just a global slider...or maybe they are waiting for LR 7 for that ;)

Back