Lightroom and Photoshop update

Content aware removal works like a charm on my iPad Pro. Night and day different to the old system. Unsure why we haven't got all of the new masking toys on the iPad Pro but I'm sure they will come in a future update.

Just had a play with the additional masking additions in the desktop LR app and I'm very impressed. The people selection in particular is very impressive, allowing you to really fine tune which bits of the subject you want to mask. For all those who are so against the subscription model, LR is a long, long way from version 6.14 now.

Last edited:
Content aware removal works like a charm on my iPad Pro. Night and day different to the old system. Unsure why we haven't got all of the new masking toys on the iPad Pro but I'm sure they will come in a future update.

Just had a play with the additional masking additions in the desktop LR app and I'm very impressed. The people selection in particular is very impressive, allowing you to really fine tune which bits of the subject you want to mask. For all those who are so against the subscription model, LR is a long, long way from version 6.14 now.
Good points Richard, miles away I’d say..

Good points Richard, miles away I’d say..
So much has been added. Adobe do seem to deliver decent updates a couple of times a year that add really useful new features to it. I was already a fan of the masking stuff they added a while back but this makes it much more powerful. I just hope all the masking improvements come to the iPad soon

Minor but good improvements. I would just suggest staying away from presets as they are suggesting very odd solutions. Texture is a slider that should never move right for example

All they need to do now is bring back the old license model and they will start to be competitive again everyone else again.
Looking at Adobe's financials since moving to subscriptions I don't think that will ever happen. I'd say LR and PS are far and away the most used photography and image editing apps on the planet.

Last few years I have purchased Adobe LR/PS when on special offer with Amazon, this year it is costing £1.40 a week so ok imo, understand some don't like subscribing though so they will have lost some customers.
Guess they will have pretty well stopped/greatly reduced the number of pirate copies in use though

Last few years I have purchased Adobe LR/PS when on special offer with Amazon, this year it is costing £1.40 a week so ok imo, understand some don't like subscribing though so they will have lost some customers.
Guess they will have pretty well stopped/greatly reduced the number of pirate copies in use though
I’ve been doing this ever since moving to the subscription model several years ago. Taking into account I’m getting lightroom, Photoshop (don’t use that much) and website for £1.45 a week (£6.25 a month) which I find it to be pretty good value. My old website on zenfolio would currently be £4 a month. That means lightroom for me ithe really only £2.25 a month which feels pretty good. I find the photography plan for me is much better value than say Flickr which is £59.99 a year which I very rarely use now.

I’ve found the masking brush is much smoother on my system
The automatic subject and sky masking is pretty good. I’ve found it to be very good for deer antlers this rut. It saves so much time than doing it manually. The content aware cloning does look amazing!

I agree it has been a success for them, but not for me.
I don't think this affects Adobe's decisions on any major level...

For anyone even in part time business the monthly cost is a fraction of either fuel or electricity bill; it is essentially a minor consumable item.

Doubtful, other than it is easier to pay annual / monthly bill rather than several hundreds upfront like in the old days.
They would need to do something like Fusion 360 (i.e. app running 100% off the cloud) to make it invincible. Fusion is a pretty horrible experience in terms of limited UI and internet lag, let alone being forced to use unstructured cloud for all documents. In fact they are working on photoshop in the browser which suggests they are thinking precisely of this And meanwhile I watched their SNEAKS tech previews and stuff is freaking me out. I'd rather they didn't go this far in some directions. It appears they are trying to position themselves as the metaverse platform and kill META / Fakebook.

There you are. All of it in the browser. I really hope they keep proper desktop apps. I see how they can be useful on the go, on linux, etc. I just want to keep offline apps. Thanks.

And that's one of their new crazy beta apps

I don't think this affects Adobe's decisions on any major level...

For anyone even in part time business the monthly cost is a fraction of either fuel or electricity bill; it is essentially a minor consumable item.

Doubtful, other than it is easier to pay annual / monthly bill rather than several hundreds upfront like in the old days.
They would need to do something like Fusion 360 (i.e. app running 100% off the cloud) to make it invincible. Fusion is a pretty horrible experience in terms of limited UI and internet lag, let alone being forced to use unstructured cloud for all documents. In fact they are working on photoshop in the browser which suggests they are thinking precisely of this And meanwhile I watched their SNEAKS tech previews and stuff is freaking me out. I'd rather they didn't go this far in some directions. It appears they are trying to position themselves as the metaverse platform and kill META / Fakebook.
Pretty sure when you start LR/PS the program checks your sub is up to date, maybe not every time but once a week/month- maybe there is a method to bypass the check but bypass and get updates?
Anyway a quick search on ebay and Google didn’t find an up to date pirate copy.

Pretty sure when you start LR/PS the program checks your sub is up to date, maybe not every time but once a week/month- maybe there is a method to bypass the check but bypass and get updates?
Anyway a quick search on ebay and Google didn’t find an up to date pira

You may be correct, I have it on my desktop and laptop.
I was round at my sons the other day showing my grandaughter some pix on the laptop and it would not play until I connected to their WiFi

That is pretty much the only reason I would take a photo from Lightroom to PS, now it looks like I will not need PS anymore and can do everything in LR :)

I haven't tried the new version yet, but if it is as good as it sounds it will be well worth the subscription. I re-subscribed to LR about ten days ago (despite my dislike of the subs model) without knowing this was coming. It looks like it was a good decision and at the Amazon Prime price very affordable.

I usually look at the black friday deals for Adobe Photo plan offers. You can buy at the special price and credit it to your account, extending your subscription period.

I agree it has been a success for them, but not for me.
As others have said, if you buy the 12 month subs when it's on offer at Amazon it's a very small outlay for LR, PS, mobile apps, cloud storage and a free website builder. For £70 a year, which as mentioned above is less than £1.40 a week I think it's very good value. If LR or PS are your preferred editor then it's less expensive than the old model of buying new versions every year, although you did at least have a choice about whether to buy them

Last edited:
Anyway a quick search on ebay and Google didn’t find an up to date pirate copy.
There are upto date versions 24.0.0.59 being the latest i can find out there.

As others have said, if you buy the 12 month subs when it's on offer at Amazon it's a very small outlay for LR, PS, mobile apps, cloud storage and a free website builder.

It's not about the cost, but control. I want the software under my control, not theirs.

It's not about the cost, but control. I want the software under my control, not theirs.

Firstly, it's not your software. You buy a licence to use it. You never own the software even when you pay up front.

Secondly, what control are you talking about? This sounds like tin foil hat time.

Adobe have no more control over your software then the likes of On1, Skylum, DxO etc. They are all connected to the internet in some way and all call home to check for valid licences

I haven't found out to preserve my LR 6.14 so I can try the subscription version.
Its well known it corrupts the existing installation and if uninstalled it will if i'm lucky only come back as v6.0.
That wouldn't be any use because my cameras rely on an update something like 6.10.

When my PC needs replacing it will take the choice away, but for now i'll carry on as is.

Last edited:
Bankroll gimp development. We would all prefer this outcome for sure. It's not in a desirable state as of now

I haven't found out to preserve my LR 6.14 so I can try the subscription version.
Its well known it corrupts the existing installation and if uninstalled it will if i'm lucky only come back as v6.0.
That wouldn't be any use because my cameras rely on an update something like 6.10.

When my PC needs replacing it will take the choice away, but for now i'll carry on as is.
i used 6.14 offline .signed out. Can’t you do that then download a free trial of new one
ps 6.14 was downloadable but forgot exact spot now, I had it saved and used on another machine but since the new stuff came out I think I’ve deleted now,

Last edited:
No, once installed it will change it to CC2015 and on completion of the trial both will act as if expired
yes it does it did that to mine once till I cancelled and reinstalled the 6.14,but next time before the trial I signed out . did you do that?

I run 6 signed out. I can choose whether to permit updates, to remain offline indefinitely. Through the transfer scheme I can sell it to someone else as long as the activation servers are working (or find a crack for it once they go offline).

The stuff about not owning the software isn't worth the paper it was written on.

I was only curious what the newer version was like. Haf a feeling it might corrupt my existing version so enquires before trying anything out. Happy enough with what I have so won't change until I have to.

The stuff about not owning the software isn't worth the paper it was written on.
It's literally what you're paying for. You do not "own" the software. You buy a licence to use it and are bound by the terms of it, whether you like it or not. Not that any of it ever gets enforced, but it absolutely could be if necessary

It's literally what you're paying for. You do not "own" the software. You buy a licence to use it and are bound by the terms of it, whether you like it or not. Not that any of it ever gets enforced, but it absolutely could be if necessary

Because software is intellectual property like an image is? Just asking........

I had not heard about these updates until I saw this thread. So, all now installed, and I have played with LR Classic 2023 and impressed so far.

Dave

Because software is intellectual property like an image is? Just asking........
From a quick Google:

A software license is a legal instrument (usually by way of contract law, with or without printed material) governing the use or redistribution of software. Under United States copyright law, all software is copyright protected, in both source code and object code forms, unless that software was developed by the United States Government, in which case it cannot be copyrighted.[1] Authors of copyrighted software can donate their software to the public domain, in which case it is also not covered by copyright and, as a result, cannot be licensed.

A typical software license grants the licensee, typically an end-user, permission to use one or more copies of software in ways where such a use would otherwise potentially constitute copyright infringement

You don't own the software, you buy permission to install and use it.

I assume you have the same attitude to anyone who wants to use one of your images - copyright is clearly not worth bothering with....

You appear to be being deliberately perverse - I was referring to the comment made, not the license agreement with Adobe. However in a situation where a license I had paid for was no longer usable because the software company had disabled my ability to use it then I would feel it reasonable and morally defensible to find alternative ways to use it.

Using the image example, it would be like me selling a print to someone, but deciding after 6 years that if they wanted to show it in another room, they would have to pay me a monthly fee. I might upgrade the picture for them, printing bigger or on better paper, but they would still have to pay again. I appreciate this is not a normal way of doing business with pictures, but perhaps the software model we have previously accepted is wrong too?

We are in a world where subscription to everything will become the norm at some point, even BMW are talking subscription for features in a car ! That seems too far for me but in a few years it will be the norm I am sure, its a sure fire way to guarantee future income. Go back 20+ years its like renting hardware like TV‘s etc but just moved to software now too.

Using the image example, it would be like me selling a print to someone, but deciding after 6 years that if they wanted to show it in another room, they would have to pay me a monthly fee. I might upgrade the picture for them, printing bigger or on better paper, but they would still have to pay again. I appreciate this is not a normal way of doing business with pictures, but perhaps the software model we have previously accepted is wrong too?
It depends on terms. It would sound like you (and me) sell prints as Royalty Free. So they get to keep them until it physically breaks down or they destroy it, Once that happens they don't get a free reprint or at cost, and you may as well offer 'upgraded' version to purchase... If however a business approached me for a large promo poster display, I would likely offer fixed term (rights managed) option; whereas RF would be considerably more costly option. If they want to use it again, they would have to pay again for another fixed term...

Back