Lightroom Automask! Did you Know this?

I saw the link to that on the "other site" forum you allude to.

When I watched it I thought "Wow! I didn't know that!"
They say you learn something new every day, and there's certainly stuff there that I shall use in the future - very useful.

Interesting, and thanks for that. I've used the brush in Perfect Effects like that, because the masking seemed to perform better than that in Lightroom, but this looked highly effective. Will give it a go.

Used Lightroom since original beta and did not know this.This will save me loads of time

Gave it a go this afternoon. It's not a panacea, but it will be a useful tool sometimes. The Perfect Effects brush seems to sample a smaller area than the Lightroom brush, so there's a bit more control, but I'm glad to have seen this.

Last edited:
Shame there's no Invert Mask feature. Unless I'm missing it.

This is one of the things I love Perfect Effects for - that and the selection of what to mask seems much more stringent than in LR. I've been using this effect a bit over the last couple of days, and it can sometimes be very un-specific about what it masks (i.e. select grass or bluebells and LR will select everything that's got mid-tones that might have a touch of blue or a touch of green including tree trunks). It can also be a bit 'fringy' if not used with care.

Shame there's no Invert Mask feature. Unless I'm missing it.

Isn't it fairly easy to get the same results with the available tools? Let's say you wanted to boost exposure by 1.2 stops for all of the image apart from one object. With the tools you desire you could select the object, invert the selection, then apply a 1.2 stop increase in exposure.

Without the invert option all you need to do is increase exposure by 1.2 stops on the whole image. Then select the desired object and decrease exposure by 1.2 stops. Same result for roughly the same effort.

I've always wondered if there was a feature like this, thanks for sharing, will definitely give it a try

Interesting video, will have to give it a go

Thanks for the link that's a excellent tutorial :)

Yeah I haven't seen that before and can see myself using it. Cheers.

Back