Lightroom CC and CC Classic?

Suomi

Reet Nice Feller
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
https://BANNED/adobemax?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Not really sure what to think on this, was always looking like it might head to subscription only. At the moment unlikely to affect me as I have stand alone LR6, but if I was to change the camera then may have to change the editing program. Any change may well be to someone else.

Lightroom 6
Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom that can be purchased outside of a Creative Cloud membership. There will not be a Lightroom 7 perpetual offering. Lightroom 6 will remain for sale for an undetermined amount of time, but will no longer be updated with camera support or bug fixes after the end of 2017. Lightroom 6.13 with support for the Nikon D850 will be released on October 26, 2017.
http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2017/10/introducing-lightroom-cc-lightroom-classic-cc-and-more.html

Last edited:
Yep, we know. If you don’t want to subscribe then move on and find something else. I’m sick of people complaining about adobe pricing model. A monthly subscription costs no more that a few rolls of film would have cost you in the film days.

If you want a free hobby can I suggest stamp collecting.

Best be prepared to get more sick of it... We'll be moving on but don't imagine we're all happy about the waste of collective learning we did to get good at this product they just fundamentally changed.

Well let's report the thread and see what the mods think.

Some folk just don't seem able to use the search function and burst into new thread mode at the least excuse.

Last edited:
Cheers Mickledore, did have a look but did not see any that highlighted split between CC and Classic CC nor that they are officially turning off stand alone or support for it at the end of the year. Not sure where it is that I was complaining about the pricing, but when you are struggling to save for a deposit the cost a few films adds up.

Well if you look under "Talk Photography" there's a thread with 144 replies. Not that hard to find.

Cheers Mickledore, I will pop over and have a look. It was just this area here where I searched.

Last edited:
Best be prepared to get more sick of it... We'll be moving on but don't imagine we're all happy about the waste of collective learning we did to get good at this product they just fundamentally changed.
So long as Capture One doesn’t head in the same direction of subscription only...

They haven’t changed anything. Nothing but the name has changed. You’re moaning about nothing!

Yep, we know. If you don’t want to subscribe then move on and find something else. I’m sick of people complaining about adobe pricing model. A monthly subscription costs no more that a few rolls of film would have cost you in the film days.

Not keen on subscriptions and will vote with my wallet, but tenner a month does seem rather insignificant these days.
Probably the same as two pints, packet of ciggys, couple of coffees or a good head of steam on one of those electric fags

Last edited:
They haven’t changed anything. Nothing but the name has changed. You’re moaning about nothing!
Something major has changed. Standalone LR won't be updated next year, and will soon be discontinued. Someone who already has a CC subscription won't notice, but standalone LR users who rarely upgraded and don't need PS will be seeing a big price hike. I suspect quite a lot of people didn't upgrade the software until they upgraded their cameras, so they might go several years between versions. LR6 is £104 at Amazon right now. That will only buy you 10 months of any CC plan that includes LR. 5 years (about how long I go between dSLRs) will cost you £600.

Last edited:
Something major has changed. Standalone LR won't be updated next year, and will soon be discontinued. Someone who already has a CC subscription won't notice, but standalone LR users who rarely upgraded and don't need PS will be seeing a big price hike. I suspect quite a lot of people didn't upgrade the software until they upgraded their cameras, so they might go several years between versions. LR6 is £104 at Amazon right now. That will only buy you 10 months of any CC plan that includes LR. 5 years (about how long I go between dSLRs) will cost you £600.

And at the same time the price of Sky has gone up. You no longer rent videos from a shop you subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. You no longer by CD's you subscribe to services like Spotify, Amazon Music etc. You no longer buy MS office software, you subscribe to it.

Welcome to the modern world. In the grand scheme of things it's still peanuts. You have three choices: Subscribe, stick with LR6 or move on to something else. It's pointless moaning about it.

And at the same time the price of Sky has gone up. You no longer rent videos from a shop you subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. You no longer by CD's you subscribe to services like Spotify, Amazon Music etc. You no longer buy MS office software, you subscribe to it.

Welcome to the modern world. In the grand scheme of things it's still peanuts. You have three choices: Subscribe, stick with LR6 or move on to something else. It's pointless moaning about it.

It's not really me that's been doing most of the moaning in this thread up to now! :)

I still buy CDs (and one-off downloads), don't subscribe to any of those services, and have a perpetual MS Office licence, by the way. The Now TV box I bought for iPlayer came with a Sky Entertainment voucher, so I have that for a while, but not sure I'll bother when it runs out. In the 'modern world' all these things add up, because a lot of companies have figured out that selling a 'service' is much more profitable. It makes sense for something like Netflix, where the content is changing all the time, but less so for a software product where the 'added value' consists of upgrades you may not even want. Office is much more irritating now than it was in the 'pre-Ribbon' days, and although Photoshop's interface is nicer than it was 15 years ago, I can't really say I use many features that weren't in PS7. I'd happily buy CS6, which does everything we need, for the new PCs at work, but of course I can't. Instead of the reasonably priced 'Design Standard' package Adobe used to provide (PS/Illustrator/InDesign/Acrobat), we can now only order a full CC subscription with a lot of stuff we don't need, which for one year costs nearly as much as the older perpetual licence. Welcome, as you say, to the modern world.

Well let's report the thread and see what the mods think.

Some folk just don't seem able to use the search function and burst into new thread mode at the least excuse.
I looked on this forum first as it is the "Post Processing and Image Editing" forum, which seems the right place to discuss the latest Lightroom happenings. I honestly wouldn't have thought of doing a search as I didn't think this topic would be anywhere else, nothing to do with being unable to use the search function. So I am grateful to Mark for posting this thread, and through this, I found about the other.

my view so far is that lightroom CC seems to be a slightly inflated version of the 'mobile app' - don't get the point on a desktop/laptop will stick to lightroom 'classic' CC seems to be slow and cumbersome - it does seem to have a 'presets' folder now - though did not show my userpresets from lightroom classic.. (shame) also i dont really get this cloud syncing business.. ive set 400 ish items to sync , they appear 'slowly' when i preview them on both the mobile app and lightroom cc BUT my cloud storage is only showing under 4mb used??

Don't be daft ... a fellow I worked with was a philatelist and he spent fortunes on the damn things ;)

Well you are right, rare stamps can and do cost a fortune. Let's face it though, the people complaining about £10/month can just steam them off their Christmas cards.

Ten quid a month is thousands of quid over my expected photography lifetime, which is a chunk of change in anyone's book and yes I'm a person who tended to upgrade to support a new camera - on average once every four years in the past. I am disappointed Adobe did this, but I'll move on. It's just a piece of software, it's not like it's Brexit or something..

Ten quid a month is thousands of quid over my expected photography lifetime,

So is getting in your car and driving a 100 miles a month for photography reasons. We are all quite happy putting fuel in vehicles and ourselves (cafe stops etc). IMO its a small price to pay for a great piece of software which enhances my photography experience

Ten quid a month is thousands of quid over my expected photography lifetime, which is a chunk of change in anyone's book and yes I'm a person who tended to upgrade to support a new camera - on average once every four years in the past. I am disappointed Adobe did this, but I'll move on. It's just a piece of software, it's not like it's Brexit or something..

Haven't you heard. When we do eventually brexit the price is due to quadruple.

Erm you know full well people are annoyed at the loss of a perpetual licensed version of the software. Until two days ago you could still buy LR6 with a perpetual license.

(You may even still be able to buy it, point is it's on its way out.)

Last edited:
So is getting in your car and driving a 100 miles a month for photography reasons. We are all quite happy putting fuel in vehicles and ourselves (cafe stops etc). IMO its a small price to pay for a great piece of software which enhances my photography experience

Which I don't do. There are those of us who are very light users.. No, the issue is the "stops working" bit. If the software continued to be fully functional but you got no updates the moment your subscription ended then I really wouldn't complain.

I just spent £10 buying junk which I don't need. I do that pretty much every month. The point isn't £10/month is much but why would anyone pay subscription for something that barely changes. What is the benefit for paying subscription...?

I pay subscription for cineworld cinemas to watch movie. Paying for LR is like paying cineworld subscription fee every month to only watch same movie every month.

You don't edit the same photo every month though.
That's like showing the same movie dubbed into different languages :D
What I put into the software is my business, the software itself is in question.

But that's right no one is forcing me to subscribe. And I'll probably end up subscribing too because LR just makes my life easier. But no one can force me to do it happily :p

Last edited:
I don't see where I will ever need to use anything other than classic in my circumstances to be honest. I don't mind a subscription to be fair, it's the way of the world now. I'm loving the improvements to the classic though, it flies now. I also like the auto mask. I tried it with some crude edits earlier and it was pretty accurate.

The main thing with CC is the storage. £10 for a TB is fine (I suppose) but how much more will it be if someone's catalogues were 5-10TB? You could end up paying £100 a month just for storage. I won't be doing that, no thanks.

The main thing with CC is the storage. £10 for a TB is fine (I suppose) but how much more will it be if someone's catalogues were 5-10TB? You could end up paying £100 a month just for storage. I won't be doing that, no thanks.
Agree with you here... the cost of Cloud storage is prohibitive (not just Adobe). For “New” Lightroom CC to succeed it needs to (imo) have the ability to offload from the cloud to local storage.

Not satisfied with moaning like this in one thread you put exactly the same **** in this one! Just give us a break, will you?

Okay ... so not sure anyone has done this so here is a report of my initial experience using Lightroom CC to add photos to the cloud and how that interacts with Lightroom Classic CC.

First off ... my Lightroom CC, immediately I opened it, saw the Albums (previously called collections) I had uploaded to Adobe Creative Cloud (hence forth to be referred to as simple "The Cloud") over the past 2 years of using Lightroom CC (2015) with Lightroom Mobile. First off I had a quick look in the preferences and I decided I wanted to have Lightroom CC to "Store a copy of ALL originals locally". I would suggest that everyone does that as a matter of course. I set it to use a custom location and decided for this test I would select the NAS drive which I use for archive storage - but this wouldn't be accepted by Lightroom CC (using macOS High Sierra on an Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13") - so for now have it archiving to the local drive.

Clicking the "Add Photos" (+) Icon let me select "Nikon D750" (the name of the SD Card / Connected Device) or I could have browsed the local drive and showed the 5 photos. As default it was set to not add to any Album, but a drop down box allows you to select any existing album in the cloud or create a new one. Then left it with all photos selected and clicked Add.

The originals are stored on the computer under the folder you selected with a slightly convoluted top level structure but then under that you have a year (2017) and then dated (eg 2017-10-20) folders within 2017. Its taken a while for the photos to show up on the iMac running Lightroom Classic CC (first one arrived after about 10 minutes) - but I hadn't realised that Lightroom CC on the MacBook was downloading / syncing 7000+ smart previews. Will test the time again later. For now the downloads are coming to a default location (Mobile Downloads folder within the Lightroom "catalogue" folder) but it appears that can be moved. On Lightroom Classic CC its following my default Year/Month folder structure and for each photo is an NEF file and a xmp file.

The downloaded images (from the Cloud) can be edited on Lightroom Classic CC and the changes show up immediately (15 seconds or so) on Lightroom CC (I have the iMac running Lightroom Classic CC next to the laptop running Lightroom CC so can see both side by side). Lightroom CC is stall also running its "sync" so that will delay things.

I'll continue some more testing / playing later and post more findings... need to work out how to move things out of the cloud.

Opened LR Classic for the first time today and it took ages to open, whether that's because the catalogue had to be incorporated or not remains to be seen.

The first thing I see?

A splash screen telling me how much quicker LR Classic is.

Brilliant! :banana:

Back