Lightroom 7 - "will appear later this year".

I guess that means it has been redesigned from the ground up.

It'll probably only be a couple of weeks before the announcement is made. Adobe no doubt wants us to fork out £10 p.m. for it but they have previously said standalone LR would continue to be made available.

Even if 7 is rental only, you should still be able to get standalone 6 for a while afterwards.

I do hope there is LR7 stand alone coming out soon, still using LR5 and don't want to go the cc route.

I do hope there is LR7 stand alone coming out soon, still using LR5 and don't want to go the cc route.

I agree .. if it's on a subscription basis I'll continue using the older version or move elsewhere ........ when Adobe took the choice away I am sure that they did their "£sums" but I feel that it has caused a significant number, (I only deduce this from what I have seen on the web), of people to at least consider alternatives.

I agree .. if it's on a subscription basis I'll continue using the older version or move elsewhere ........ when Adobe took the choice away I am sure that they did their "£sums" but I feel that it has caused a significant number, (I only deduce this from what I have seen on the web), of people to at least consider alternatives.

There seem to be some very good PS alternatives available now but perhaps not yet for LR. I'm sure they will come, and Adobe will realise they have shot themselves in the foot.

I currently have standalone 6, and would upgrade immediately if stand alone 7 is released as I believe I'm being left behind with some of the latest updates. but just so adobe know I will not pay a subscription

Last edited:
Lightroom 7 will be an interesting release. I'm with others that I would go the CC route as I only use Lightroom and have no use for the other programs. If abode released a Lightroom only (inc mobile) CC version at a reduced subscription rate I could possibly be tempted to CC, but Im mostly likely to be looking at LR7 standalone in the future especially if its the last standalone version. The only reason I upgraded last time was because of a camera upgrade and there wasn't support on LR4. There were some good features added to LR6 that made it worth it beyond the camera upgrade need.

I'd consider upgrading to 7 from 5.7 too, especially if there were a performance benefit. Not sure I need new tools as such, though the pano stitcher would be nice.

I probably would upgrade from LR6 to LR7 standalone, but no interest at all in the CC subscription version.

Used LR3 for ages then went straight to LR6, mainly because of new cameras and it saved using the DNG converter

I probably would upgrade from LR6 to LR7 standalone, but no interest at all in the CC subscription version.

Used LR3 for ages then went straight to LR6, mainly because of new cameras and it saved using the DNG converter
+1

One does wonder how many genuinely new features a new release could contain. some features could be improved, no doubt, and many people complain about the speed of LR generally (although I don't find this a problem).

One addition to the rental version of 6 which I hope will appear in 7 is the ability to make black and white adjustments on selections rather than just globally.

I would pay a monthly rental for LR, but it would have to be no more than £2.50 p.m. ; this would be roughly pro rata with the upfront cost of PS.

Last edited:
I very nearly upgraded from 5.7 to 6.12 on Friday (primarily to get the bloody map module working properly) but heard this rumour elsewhere so luckily I did not press the "Buy It Now" key. I have no interest whatsoever in the CC idea. If anyone comes up with an exact replacement to LR at a reasonable price they will make a killing!

I would pay a monthly rental for LR, but it would have to be no more than £2.50 p.m. ; this would be roughly pro rata with the upfront cost of PS.
It will be interesting to see where they do price it if it's a subscription rather than standalone version. CC is generally less than £10 per month with "free" LR included. If the price for subscription LR at much more than £5 will they get much take up, and if they do will they not be cutting their own throats?
£3/4 per month I'd go for, but above £5 I think I'd stay on LR 5x and use the DNG convertor.

Another option is to buy a 12 month CC sub from Amazon when on offer, down to £70 last November which is just under £6 a month, should be an offer soon with black Friday etc

amazon.png

But they might be what we would call sneaky and they would call commercial.
They could price LR at just under £10 and increase the price of CC to £15/20. Now they've got a lot of folk tied in they could consider it good business.
Remember they only care about the bottom line.

But they might be what we would call sneaky and they would call commercial.
They could price LR at just under £10 and increase the price of CC to £15/20. Now they've got a lot of folk tied in they could consider it good business.
Remember they only care about the bottom line.
Don’t give them ideas!

Which is more than I'm prepared to pay.

It's funny (and this isn't aimed at you) but some people will happily spend hundreds and thousands on cameras and lenses that will make very little difference to their final output but baulk at paying a relatively small amount on a tool that genuinely could improve their output quite significantly.

I just ordered LR6, now wondering if I should have waited for the next version...

It's funny (and this isn't aimed at you) but some people will happily spend hundreds and thousands on cameras and lenses that will make very little difference to their final output but baulk at paying a relatively small amount on a tool that genuinely could improve their output quite significantly.
Which is why I'm undertaking some online training and bought LR6 to do it. I've realized that I know precious little about the most useful piece of 'equipment' I have at my disposal.

I just don't see it as value for money when you can get free software like rawtherapee and the free version of dxo optics.

I just ordered LR6, now wondering if I should have waited for the next version...
There has been talk about LR stand alone being updated for a while but has not happened.

If you are can wait to see what is announced next week, then cancel LR6 order if you can for now.

Fingers crossed there is LR7 stand alone being released.

Once the R&D is done the product has no actual physical "presence" - no glass, metal, sensor, processor, etc. That's why people get uptight about the price of software. Adobe will price their SW at the maximum they think they can get away with.

possibly but i would also think they have managed to draw in a lot of people who were using pirate versions of the software because of the previous expense so it is probably swings and roundabouts

I suspect the rental scheme was designed partly to target people like me who only used to upgrade Adobe software occasionally (with Photoshop I usually skipped a couple of versions, going from PS7 to CS3 to CS6). Photoshop has been a mature product for quite a few years, and for many of us the new features were rarely compelling enough to make the jump. LR is a bit different, since a lot of people are buying it primarily for raw processing and Adobe already had a mechanism of 'encouraging' upgrades by freezing direct support of new raw formats with each version change. Although this was also true of ACR, many PS users are graphics professionals who never deal with raw files.

The only thing I need from Lightroom is some speed. The features are fine it just runs like a dog!

Yup and even though the rumours are of a speed increase, because of some key architectural decisions they took at the start I can't see them ever fixing that without completely rewriting the thing from scratch...

Also heard there is an announcement imminently... I think something is happening in vegas about it..

Just checked it's at the adobe max conference..

Last edited:
Once the R&D is done the product has no actual physical "presence" - no glass, metal, sensor, processor, etc. That's why people get uptight about the price of software. Adobe will price their SW at the maximum they think they can get away with.

The 'R&D' of course, for a product like LR, is never 'done' - there are teams working on new features for the next release, identifying and resolving issues raised with the current release, profiling new cameras and lenses, etc.

Once you move past very 'basic' items, the price you actually pay has limited influence from the cost to physically produce that item - those that have invested to enable the company to bring a product to market want a return on their investment - and companies will always try to maximise that return - balancing price vs volume of sales.

I'm not justifying the specific price, but fixes (not always introduced by problems at their end, i.e. Windows updates), adding new lens / camera support, and providing e-mail and phone support for people does all have an ongoing cost.

Back