Lightroom Deletion Question

Edit My Images
Yes
I've set up LR to automatically copy to my spare hard drive on import as a back up. Howver I believe that once I've sorted through the images and deleted the rubbish from my primary drive (usually the majority ;) ) all the imported images are still remaining on the back up drive. Is there a quick way of removing these or will I have to do it manually ?

TIA

Andrew

Could just delete what you have on your spare drive and then copy over your lightroom files.

I had similar issues with this until I migrated to a RAID array. I got in the habit of deleting the crap images from my camera before import.

I generally keep backups of everything shot and only delete the duff shots on the working set. That way I can always get back a shot I suddenly find I need 3 months later.

Could just delete what you have on your spare drive and then copy over your lightroom files.

I had similar issues with this until I migrated to a RAID array. I got in the habit of deleting the crap images from my camera before import.

Thanks for that - the simplest ideas are always the best

Use Karen's free Replicator software to synchronise files between your primary and backup drives. You can set it up to sync updates, new files and also deletions. It's what I use to backup and efficiently transfer only changes (including deletions) between various drives and computers. It will be much quicker and less error prone to use than manually deleting entire folders of files and then copying over *everything* that remains all over again. It's not only good for photos but documents, software, anything you like.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Here's a screen print from the setup I have on my main laptop. I have different jobs set up to replicate different things to my media PC (Bobby), USB flash drive (Thumbstick) and USB HDD (Databank), and I can select which jobs I wish to run at any one time. The jobs can even be set up to run on a schedule if required.

MWSnap%202008-09-18%2C%2008_58_13.jpg

I've set up LR to automatically copy to my spare hard drive on import as a back up.

I didn't realise you could do that! I've just had a quick look at LR and can't find the settings, could you let me know how it is done?

Thanks.

It's in the import dialogue box, just under where you set the location for the files to be copied to, a great feature!

It's saved me a few times, where I've deleted files out of my library, then somone has asked for them, storage is cheap these days so it is worth keeping the images.

Never noticed that before. Thanks craikey! (y)

I get my glasses tomorrow! :D

Back