Lightroom export problems

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have been exporting my RAW files which have been developed straight out of lightroom as jpgs. However it doesn't seem to want to keep the colour settings.

If I edit from LR to PS then export the file from PS to JPG it looks fine.

I think it's to do with the colour settings but this just flies over my head.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tobes

In the export window what colour space is set for the output? I think LR defaults to AdobeRGB which is the most likely cause of the colour shift you're seeing. Make sure it's set to sRGB and try again.

pxl8 is bang on. Also note that Export has presets which you can use to control such things. I use several depending on the application. (y)

Tobes

Is your monitor calibrated? Uncalibrated monitors can give problems such as this

My monitor is uncalibrated. But for example let's take a image of some floorboards which is in very low light. In LR I mess around so I can see all the detail of the floorboards. The grain and knots etc. Then I export to JPG with sRGB and the final image is dark and I can't see any detail.

I would of thought because I could of seen the detail in LR that my monitor isnt the problem?

Are you exporting "with lightroom settings" or just a copy of the original? This usually comees up when i go to export to photoshop.

Although, not with the original RAW files.. 2 of the options are usually greyed out unless you are working on the tiff that has resulted from an original processing. I have often gone back into lightroom and started working on the resulting tiff file by mistake as it gets stacked next to the RAW. If you are on the tiff (or jpg, whichever you set it to output to) then you would get 3 options on output and one will be to keep lightoom settings and the other 2 wont.

Just a thought...........if you understand my ramblings! :D

Monitor calibration seems a likely source for the problem except that going via PS means it doesn't happen. LR and PS will both use the same settings for the monitor profile so the results of colour management "should" be the same.

Exporting a jpg out of LR doesn't have an option for "with Lightroom settings" to turn off so it can't be that either.

It's all a bit :thinking:

Back to basics, can you describe step by step the process from LR to PS to JPG that results in a good version and then LR to JPG process that results in a bad one and post example images from each with the exif data intact. Hopefully that will provide a clue or two...

OK it turns out I cant re create the problem today. Well I can and I can't. lol

Basically even if I export to jpg or edit in PS then export all that happens is I get a slightly darker image than the one I am seeing on the screen in PS and LR.

So that's my first problem. I assume it means me calibrating the colour settings for sRGB or something... I wont touch anything till someone says so.

The second is if I drag the darker exported jpg into firefox it looks lighter and more normal than if I view it in Vistas Photo Gallery. What's happening here? :s

Couple of things to try here.

Open the image in CS2 go to View > Proof Setup > Monitor RGB

Now keep pressing CTRL-y which toggles proofing on/off (the title bar of the image will say Monitor at the end when proofing is on).

Do you see a difference between the two. When proofing is turned on you're actually looking at the image with no colour management (this is only true when you proof to Monitor RGB) and it should look the same as when you viewed it in firefox (also not colour managed).

In Vista go to Control Panel > Color Management

What profile is listed for Device: Display
What settings are showing in Advanced

Report back on what you find...

Toggling proofing on and off does change the colours slightly.

When proofing is on (says monitor at the end) the image is darker and looks more like what Vista Photo Gallery shows. It's not as dark, but its closer to it.

Advanced settings are all set to system default which are:

sRGB IE......2.1
WCS profile for sRGB

Perceptual
Photography
Proofing and line art
Proofing - simulate paper/media colour
Charts and graphs

I assume me taking a screen shot of what I see in PS and what I see in Vista photo gallery are not going to help as they will probably look the same on your screen?

What profile is listed in the first Vista Col. Management tab for the display device?

Dell 2007WFP (default) File name: 2007WFP.icm

Which would be my monitor.

Back