Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just built a new PC with the following drive allocation

C - XP
D - Data
E - Vista

When in XP lightoom looks to the D drive for my photos and reads my lightroom calogue file fine. I'm just getting vista set-up and notice when I boot into it the drives are named -

C - Vista
D - XP
E - Data

I was hoping to dual boot and use one location for my images and catologue file between both OS's but with vista calling my data drive by a different drive letter I take it lightroom wont play ball? Anything I can do to use lightroom in the dual boot system I have without loosing my library of edits?

I'm not normally a Windows user, but I think in either XP or Vista you should be able to go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management, choose the Disk Management option, and then change the drive letter(s) by right-clicking.

HTH,

Alex

P.S. That assumes, of course, that Control Panel is set to Classic View not babysitter mode ;).

Alternatively use a .bat file in the startup folder for both with something like

subst p: E:\path to photos

and for the other one

subst p: d:\path to photos

Then in either OS the photos will always be found on p:

Thanks for the replies, I have tried changing the drive letter paths in Vista to get around this problem, but it throws up an error about not being able to change system drive letters. I think I may need to have re-think on my entire drive setup to get around this :( If I do I then need to figure out how to tell lightoom that all my images are no longer on D, instead they are somewhere else.

When you start Lightroom, if it can't find the images they are highlighted in red. Right click on the root folder and select locate images. It'll drop into explorer. Now simply navigate to the location of the images and double click on it. LR will now update the database for you.

If you've images spread over several drives you'll need to do this for each set of "lost " images

Back