lightroom import suddently very slow

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday it worked fine. Not changed anything at all. Take sd card and pop it on the side of my machine which is a pretty powerfull laptop.

I "import and copy" photo to my hard drive. Instead of wizzing through each picture is taking something like 15 seconds...

Was there a funny update or is something happened with LR?

Last edited:
Yesterday it worked fine. Not changed anything at all. Take sd card and pop it on the side of my machine which is a pretty powerfull laptop.

I "import and copy" photo to my hard drive. Instead of wizzing through each picture is taking something like 15 seconds...

Are you shooting raw or raw plus jpg?
Have you tried a different SD card?

You could also try a USB card reader, bt wants to be USB3.
I have found Lightroom Classic glitchy with importing especially the automated opening when card is inserted.

One member above (drounding) have a good point: Your image files could be in RAW or you could be importing RAW and JPEG files.

In additional to his suggestion, even if you are totally sure it is in JPEG format, then there is a question of did you adjust JPEG settings on camera such as instead of using normal, you decided to go for fine, or instead of using medium size, you decided to go for large size?

On the case of Lightroom itself, it could be did you accidently changed settings or did change settings but forgotten about it, such as...

During importing, was your Build Previews under File Handling set to 1:1 or Standard (slows down importing) instead of Embedded & Sidecar (little more faster) or Minimal (much faster)?

Did you turned on the option for Build Smart Previews which could have slowed down the importing?

No funny update...
During importing, was your Build Previews under File Handling set to 1:1 or Standard (slows down importing) instead of Embedded & Sidecar (little more faster) or Minimal (much faster)?
A possibility apart from the embedded & sidecar bit, that isn't a function of the import but of export and XMP files.
Did you turned on the option for Build Smart Previews which could have slowed down the importing?
Indeed look at the preview building options....

There could be any number of reasons.

No funny update...

Thanks for this.

As said in first my workflow hasn't change so there is no reason it takes 15-20 to import one picture when it use to take a fraction of a seconds!
Yes i shot raw. Yes i do 1:1 previews but i was already doing this before. Import is a task and previews another task. At the moment building preview take less that one second when importing it takes 15 seconds+.
I checked my hardware and can't see a fault so i'll try again later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this.

As said in first my workflow hasn't change so there is no reason it takes 15-20 to import one picture when it use to take a fraction of a seconds!
Yes i shot raw. Yes i do 1:1 previews but i was already doing this before. Import is a task and previews another task. At the moment building preview take less that one second when importing it takes 15 seconds+.
I checked my hardware and can't see a fault so i'll try again later.
That is odd, but it does help to eliminate things even though it seems as if one is repeating things, I'm on Mac so a little ignorant of Windows comings and goings but I had a client once who's import slowed down to a crawl and it turned out to be his brand new (quite expensive) card reader. I know you are plugging your card straight into the computer but is there a difference if using a separate USB card reader?

Hope you find an answer...

This has happened to me several times in the past few years, not sure why it happens, often around the time of a LR new release. As a result I’ve moved to photo mechanic for initial “ingest” and selection. Only selected pictures go to LR and overall workflow is much faster for me.

It'll be the laptop, not Lightroom probably. Windows updates, antivirus updates, something else running, it's all on disk speed on the import. Check performance monitor etc and see what's using the hard disk. Have a look at your startup programs, there's a lot that fires in you don't realise, Adobe, google updates etc.

This has happened to me several times in the past few years, not sure why it happens, often around the time of a LR new release. As a result I’ve moved to photo mechanic for initial “ingest” and selection. Only selected pictures go to LR and overall workflow is much faster for me.

Actually Lightroom v6 and versions have been working a lot on improving speed. Give it the right hardware, especially disk, and it flies.

CPU running under 50% it's a intel i7 7700hq , RAM running under 25% (there's 32gb), all install on a ssd is a 512gb ssd nvme with great read/write speed with plenty of space.
I need to check the speed on the card reader that could be it but it use to be fine. Also today i got a firmware update.
I'll try again.

Test again with a different SD card.
And then again with the original SD card.

Of all the physical components in your tool chain likely to fail, this is most likely your culprit.

If a second SD card behaves the same way, check the status of hour SSD. Crystal Disk Mark and Crystal Disk Info are your friends here.

It won't hurt to have resource monitor open whilst running your imports. (task manager -> advanced -> performance -> resource monitor). Look at the disk tab particularly. If disk IO is low, that could signify a problem as in something is causing constraint. If disk IO is high, then it could be a background process (Windows Update, Anti-Virus, malware) saturating it.

If the problem persists and disk IO is reasonable (15-200MB/second,ish) then try a different card reader.

If it is a persistent problem unresolved by changing SD card, I wouldnt suspect your hardware as disk IO problems would slow boot times etc.

Also assuming here your target disk isn't full, is not a HDD and not a network share.

Swap sd card and it worked has before.
Now i need to check my sd card that didn't work well see if it was a glitch or a reel problem!

A fraction of a second is very quick. If thats what it used to take are you sure you weren't using 'Add to catalog' before and you've changed to 'Copy to catalog'. That would slow things down. The time Lightroom takes to complete the task would also be slowed if you set it to build 1:1 or smart preview at import time. I think I;d check your HD as my next proof call

Back