Lightroom - Lots of catalogs or just one?

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been using Lightroom since v1.0 and have ended up in a situation where I've got 5 or 6 catalogs, some with duplicates.

Now that Lightroom 2.1 has got the ability to manage bigger catalogs is it going to be beneficial to somehow merge all the catalogs into one?

I use Lightroom 2.1, have close to 27,000 photographs - all in a single catalogue. I did have some speed issues in LR2.0, but since the upgrade to 2.1 which apparently fixed a few speed issues, everything seems to be fine again now.

That's good news! I've had a quick play and it seems like all the collections are kept when importing from an other catalog. I think this could be doable :)

i have specific events i.e. weddings in their own catalogs but beyond that its all in one big one. easier that way.
i have also recently and successfully worked on a laptop mobile library (away shoot) and imported that to my main desktop one for work at home.

I have lots simply because I have a stupid number of shots to deal with, probably something like 100,000 shots active and more in offline storage. LR does slow down with large databases so I keep catalogue for different types of work, etc. to keep the number of images workable. The downside is finding images can sometimes be a pain having to look across separate catalogues but I don't have to do that too often.

That is the situation I'm in now, but nowhere near as many images to deal with. I've got a catalog for the race series I cover/college work/snaps from my compact then a main one for everything else.

With the number of shots involved I think I'm going to need to spend some time keywording etc and get them all in one library.

I've been using Lightroom since v1.0 and have ended up in a situation where I've got 5 or 6 catalogs, some with duplicates.

Now that Lightroom 2.1 has got the ability to manage bigger catalogs is it going to be beneficial to somehow merge all the catalogs into one?

I suppose it's down to how you like your own personal organisation to be, if LR is running smoothly on your system no matter how many images are included in the catalogue then it's a personal preference I suppose.

Before now I have created seperate catalogues for differrent shoots, for example weddings, they each have a catalogue of their own.
I have a seperate catalogue for sporting events which is housing over 40,000 images and it's starting to be a tad slow so I may have to employ seperate catalogues for this.
The seperates are faster on my 3 year old intel imac, 1,83 ghz, 2 GB ram, which, fingers crossed, will be upgraded at the end of the month, if and when all the late payers cough up!

Back