Lightroom moves photos to Pictures

Edit My Images
Yes
For a few weeks now, each time I use Lightroom, it is moving my photos from the original folder to Pictures (Windows). I have ticked the box for the files to return to the original folder, and tried numerous other things, but still it keeps exporting both the finished file and the Raw file to Pictures. I imagine it is because of some update. What do I need to do so my files return to their original folder. Thanks

For a few weeks now, each time I use Lightroom, it is moving my photos from the original folder to Pictures (Windows). I have ticked the box for the files to return to the original folder, and tried numerous other things, but still it keeps exporting both the finished file and the Raw file to Pictures. I imagine it is because of some update. What do I need to do so my files return to their original folder. Thanks
Where was the "original folder" stored.

lightroom does not make perminant alterations to the image unless they are exported to another location, what you are seeing is a catalog file.
I'm not too sure what you mean, but maybe I was not clear. For years I would put my new RAW photo's into a folder, say 'Air Display'. When each photo is finished I export them, and Lightroom placed it back into the original 'Air Display Folder' but in it's own 'Lightroom folder' within the 'Air Display' folder, thus keeping the new finished photos from the original photo's. I have done it this way for many years.

Now when I have finished with Lightroom I go back to my 'Air display' Folder and there is nothing, no RAW files that I originally placed in there, and no separate Lightroom folder with the finished photo's.

Lightroom has placed all my RAW files and finished photo's into the Windows 'Picture' section under the present year and month.

I have ticked the lightroom box to say 'put back into original folder' but it still places everything in Pictures.

I'm not too sure what you mean, but maybe I was not clear. For years I would put my new RAW photo's into a folder, say 'Air Display'. When each photo is finished I export them, and Lightroom placed it back into the original 'Air Display Folder' but in it's own 'Lightroom folder' within the 'Air Display' folder, thus keeping the new finished photos from the original photo's. I have done it this way for many years.

Now when I have finished with Lightroom I go back to my 'Air display' Folder and there is nothing, no RAW files that I originally placed in there, and no separate Lightroom folder with the finished photo's.

Lightroom has placed all my RAW files and finished photo's into the Windows 'Picture' section under the present year and month.

I have ticked the lightroom box to say 'put back into original folder' but it still places everything in Pictures.
Are you importing into Lightroom from the "Air Display" folder? If so, I would check your import settings.

Are you importing into Lightroom from the "Air Display" folder? If so, I would check your import settings.
Yes I would import from the 'Air Display' folder. But the next time it could be a new folder with 'Birds'. I would then direct Lightroom to 'Birds'. But again everything I placed in it would be put in 'Pictures' once I had processed the photos' Clearly something changed on an update, but I don't know what.

I'm not using LR currently, but it sounds as if LR is 'misplacing' the files at the time of import? In which case you need to tinker with the import setting dialogue, and tell it where to put stuff (it lets you choose).

That would be because if it's imported stuff to Pictures, that has become the 'original folder'.

Yes I would import from the 'Air Display' folder. But the next time it could be a new folder with 'Birds'. I would then direct Lightroom to 'Birds'. But again everything I placed in it would be put in 'Pictures' once I had processed the photos' Clearly something changed on an update, but I don't know what.
Check the top of the Import window, you probably have "Move" selected instead of "Add"

Reactions: ST1
Get your import settings correct then at the bottom somewhere you can set that as a preset.
Just double check it has defaulted to that when you go to import it is easy to reselect your preset if it has changed.
If exporting from Lightroom you can have it go to subfolder on original drive I find it remembers what you last did so you do need to double check whee they are going.
Also note everything is done from time and date on camera so if that's out they can go to 'wrong' folder.
This often happens if you have a few photos not downloaded previously but you knew were on the card.

Back