Lightroom Speed and Performance Issues

Gary.D

Hoodie
Name
Gary Derbridge
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone else having performance issues with lightroom. I was really hoping the latest update would sort the problems out but it hasn't.

I'm using a good machine, ssd drives, large cache, etc etc but no success. Basic tasks are taking 3-5 seconds to load, such as selecting the crop tool or brush. It's slowing my wedding edit down drastically and I am worried this is really going to cause problems when I reach my busy spell mid season next year.

Maybe it's time to move to another software? If so, any thoughts on what one?

I've recently changed PC and also gone from LR5 to LR Classic CC.
My PC spec is not great (not a bread earner or me) but performance is certainly down compared with LR5.

My spec is only a laptop docked with two screens, i5, SSD, large cache, source images on USB 3 drive. Not that it makes any difference to the speed, it was the same with originals local on the SSD as well. I find that closing and opening LR helps for a while.

I've recently changed PC and also gone from LR5 to LR Classic CC.
My PC spec is not great (not a bread earner or me) but performance is certainly down compared with LR5.

My spec is only a laptop docked with two screens, i5, SSD, large cache, source images on USB 3 drive. Not that it makes any difference to the speed, it was the same with originals local on the SSD as well. I find that closing and opening LR helps for a while.
Hi Duncan

Yes closing and re opening or a restart seems to help.

Just very time consuming doing this multiple times.

Have you tried disabling the gpu in lightroom preferences?

Clean out the preview cache too, but I note the exact same problem as you and nothing's fixing it.

Last edited:
Hi, Try On1 Photo RAW 2018 30 days free trial https://www.on1.com/dl/11/ I am only an ameture but after Adobe changed the option of an upgrade from L/R 6 to the cloud I am now using On1 and find it compared to L/R Fast!!! Russ

I must confess to being a bit puzzled with this, I run LR CC ( the new version) with a similar setup to Gary
Win 10 with creators fall upgrade installed
i5 processor
LR on Samsung 250Gb SSD running in rapid mode
Catalogue and Cache on 2nd Samsung SSD
Photos on 1Tb 7200 HDD
Graphics acceleration enabled and its very quick, LR loads from cold into Library in about 17 secs , switches to develop instantly and load tools in develop instantly.
I wonder if there are some background processes running which are slowing it down, Anti Virus or similar?

This https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html might help
I hope you get it sorted

No problems of this sort on my MacBook. My beef with it is that since the new version (classic) smart collections don't work if the criteria is set to Folder Starts With..... The latest update didn't fix it either. Grrrr

Got a msg in my similar thread - turns out bit defender drastically affected my lightroom performance - I uninstalled it and its back to full speed now.
Funny I disabled WD and so far, fingers crossed, it seems more responsive. But we will see. I've not used it as much as I have in the past.

Back