Lightroom Subscription- confused!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I’m confused with the whole Adobe subscription model for LR. I currently pay £9.98 for the “Photography Plan”, which gives me access to LR, PS, ALC (which I never use) and 20GB of storage space. I also have the adobe app on my iPhone. Issue is, I seem to have used up all of my 20gb of space because somehow, the images from my iPhone are also uploading to LR. I've deleted majority of the images from the LR cloud but I just can't seem to free up storage space!

The only option I seem to be getting is to upgrade my plan which would give me 2TB of cloud storage but that costs £19.98/month - £240 a year?! Other than paying silly money, what are my options? I am also confused why, on the Apple app store, i can see a LR 1TB plan for £9.98 that I can't see on the adobe website.

I like LR, but not if it means paying £240 a year for it - what happened to the days where we could buy the software and own it forever?!

Thanks.

I imagine there is a setting in the LR phone app that allows you to stop iphone images uploading. Google probably knows ;)

Seems like you need to change some of your options for what is saved in the LR cloud. I have the same subscription as you and have very little saved to the LR cloud. Try the Lightroom forum they are good at providing solutions.

I have just cancelled my Adobe subscription and moved to On1, I now own my software outright -- as I used to do with Lightroom 6, which stopped working when I changed my PC and couldn't re-download it. For what I use Lightroom for, a subscription just isn't worth it.

If the app permissions are set to “all photos” then any new image added to your camera roll will automatically sync to the Adobe cloud storage.
Deleting the “Lightroom” versions from within the Lightroom app should also remove from the cloud but not delete the camera roll one.
The key is to set the permissions to “Selected photos” and grant access to any you want to work on with the Lightroom app. You can do this during the “add photos” process in the app or in iPhone settings.

I had the same plan, and came to the conclusion that I wasn't using PS enough, so I switched to the LR plan that provides 1 TB of storage. It comes with LR, Bridge, and Camera RAW. There is a setting that prevents uploading to Adobe Cloud, which I had set, but after switching to the 1 TB, I turned that off and let it upload the images, since I only have about 400 GB in images at the moment.

In LR CC on top RHS of the screen, there is a cloud symbol, click on that to open it and that gives you the option to pause syncing.
Then click on the gear wheel and you can see what has synced and what is pending.

Thanks all. Now turned off auto upload which has stopped the syncing of my camera roll from the phone. But I'm still over the 20GB limit as the ones I do want to keep are all RAW files so each file is 20-30MB. Now trying to figure out of I can just transfer all my folders from lR to an external drive and just keep the files I want to edit.

Call me suspicious and distrustful but I couldn't bear the thought that every photographic memory I have is stored on someone else's equipment i.e. the cloud.

I have copies of all my photos and other important stuff on four separate hard drives two of which are kept in a firesafe. I'm sure online storage is eminently reliable with hourly backups (or even continuously I suppose) but I'm old now and while I generally trust electronic systems I'm not sure I have complete confidence in the companies that look after it; look at how many data breaches tech companies have experienced over the years Examples

New dilemma......deleted majority of my files (transferred them on to external hard drive first) and now only have just over 200 images in the cloud and it's telling me I am using 59.9GB of my 20GB allowance - I mean how is that even possible?!! Ready to give up.....

I have the subscription but have never used Adobe Cloud storage; surely no need to use it if you do not want to. The software is all installed on my PC so just the same as when I used to buy an outright licence but is regularly updated. The amount I spend on Adobe is trivial compared to what I spend on Photography equipment and travelling to capture images.

Dave

Photography editing software is just a tiny fraction of what they do. They are building a whole 'experience' based on data collection, telemetry and tracking. The target is a 'live' dashboard of online use for all users. It's all there in the Investor Relations PDF's and in the marketing & analytics sections of their site.

Which is fine.........or it isn't. But basically they are getting far more than just £10 a month for your patronage.

Last edited:
Photography editing software is just a tiny fraction of what they do. They are building a whole 'experience' based on data collection, telemetry and tracking. The target is a 'live' dashboard of online use for all users. It's all there in the Investor Relations PDF's and in the marketing & analytics sections of their site.

Which is fine.........or it isn't. But basically they are getting far more than just £10 a month for your patronage.
Aren’t all social media and other companies doing the same? As users, what other choice do we have? We’re all just pawns in the metaverse…..

Aren’t all social media and other companies doing the same? As users, what other choice do we have? We’re all just pawns in the metaverse…..
No, actually I don't think they are. It's not all doom and gloom, for example some recent changes:

-Apple recently introduced 'do not track' on their ecosystem, which removes Ad trackers. (This reportedly cost Facebook £millions.)
-Google/Android are now doing the same
-GDPR was introduced in Europe...and other steps which eventually will help users have more choice.

So it's not just a one-way street...so worth keeping an eye on if its important to you. And there are settings on our browsers generally which help.

The problem I think with LR right now is there isn't much competition, and they are such a big company. If there was (I'm looking at you Affinity), they might find it commercially viable to change their business model.

Interesting that these systems are not that clever. Just over 12 months ago I started to look details of the Sony A6600. This was followed be regular adverts for this camera and related lenses. However, I bought the camera soon after though not by following one of the adverts. Ever since I still see adverts for this camera which suggest while they might know about items that I take an interest in, they do not seem to have a clue when you actually buy an item and are thus wasting unnecessary advertising.

Dave

Really wish Apple would bring back Aperture or something along those lines. I managed to claim my adobe sub through work but... it sucks. Final Cut Pro and Motion are brilliant apps, I hope they take the same approach with their Photos app and make it more advanced..

Back