Lightroom Upgrade

JRJ

Name
Jas
Edit My Images
Yes
Completely neglected this option when I changed camera, went to edit some photos last night and Lightroom 4.4 doesn't support the A6000 .Arw.

I was happy with 4.4 and didn't plan on upgrading for a while but my arm has been twisted.

Whats options have I got for standalone software? I definately dont need CC, I cant seem to find an upgrade option to 5 or 6 only full versions, the A6000 is supported from 5.3 I believe so wouldn't necessarily need much more than this.

Thanks in advance

the A6000 is supported from 5.3 I believe so wouldn't necessarily need much more than this

I think you can buy an upgrade, but seem to remember from a previous thread you need to hunt round for it in the upgrade option.

Possibly easier (and cheaper) to just buy LR 5 then - possibly 2nd hand from someone who has upgraded to LR 6.

Once you've got LR 5, you can then upgrade it to the latest version of 5

Thanks guys, I'll have to take a look on the desktop as i keep getting go.redirectingat.com error from links on the app.

Second hand route would be fine by me too.

While you can sell/transfer the license for Adobe products (there is apparently a proper way of doing it and both sides of the transfer must complete the relevant form), transferring the license passes the rights to all versions of that software. I would suspect that if you own a complete version of LR5 you would only be able to transfer it if you then bought a stand-alone version of LR6 with a separate license. If you have gone down the upgrade route (LR5 to LR6) this would count as the same license and you would not be able to transfer LR5 and continue to use LR6.

Thanks guys, I'll have to take a look on the desktop as i keep getting go.redirectingat.com error from links on the app.

Second hand route would be fine by me too.

If the s/h copy is offered as a result of an upgrade, then selling it is illegal and contrary to the terms and conditions set by Adobe. Why not just get the genuine upgrade to LR6 - it's available on the Adobe UK website.

Anthony.

Anthony appreciate your comment, if it was going to be a second hand copy it would be a legitimate s/h copy deactivated by the previous owner

While you can sell/transfer the license for Adobe products (there is apparently a proper way of doing it and both sides of the transfer must complete the relevant form), transferring the license passes the rights to all versions of that software. I would suspect that if you own a complete version of LR5 you would only be able to transfer it if you then bought a stand-alone version of LR6 with a separate license. If you have gone down the upgrade route (LR5 to LR6) this would count as the same license and you would not be able to transfer LR5 and continue to use LR6.

I was think this too as I'm upgrading from LR4 to LR6. If you upgrade via adobes website they ask you what copy you currently have.

Completely neglected this option when I changed camera, went to edit some photos last night and Lightroom 4.4 doesn't support the A6000 .Arw.

I was happy with 4.4 and didn't plan on upgrading for a while but my arm has been twisted.

Whats options have I got for standalone software? I definately dont need CC, I cant seem to find an upgrade option to 5 or 6 only full versions, the A6000 is supported from 5.3 I believe so wouldn't necessarily need much more than this.

Thanks in advance
I'm in the same boat, I've just picked up a d750 and it's needs LR5.7 to work. I'm currently on LR4 too and don't see any reason to change other than actually using LR with the d750.

To upgrade your current version it's £59.09 on the adobe website. You have to add the full version of LR6 to the basket and then edit the basket to the upgrade version. It's quite simple to do.

I've thought about standalone versions of LR6 second hand too but I've not seen a copy being sold second hand yet. The upgrade price isn't too bad, probably a little less than a second hand version would go for. A full version of LR4 probably isn't worth much, maybe £15-20 so it all works out about the same either way. It may be cheaper to get a second hand copy of LR5 if that's all you need.

Last edited:
Go to this page,

https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop-lightroom.html?promoid=KLXLX

Go to the very bottom click on 'buy now' for lightroom 6 desktop version.

That then takes you to 'my cart'. Where it says 'I want to buy: full' click the drop down arrow on the right and select 'upgrade' then enter what version you currently own. It's hidden away but easy to do once you know how to.

If the s/h copy is offered as a result of an upgrade, then selling it is illegal and contrary to the terms and conditions set by Adobe. Why not just get the genuine upgrade to LR6 - it's available on the Adobe UK website.

Anthony.
I'm sure Adobe already have this sorted out so you can't 'upgrade' and sell the previous version. I've not yet upgraded but I doubt they will provide me with a new LR6 serial number.

I'm in the same boat, I've just picked up a d750 and it's needs LR5.7 to work. I'm currently on LR4 too and don't see any reason to change other than actually using LR with the d750.

To upgrade your current version it's £59.09 on the adobe website. You have to add the full version of LR6 to the basket and then edit the basket to the upgrade version. It's quite simple to do.

I've thought about standalone versions of LR6 second hand too but I've not seen a copy being sold second hand yet. The upgrade price isn't too bad, probably a little less than a second hand version would go for. A full version of LR4 probably isn't worth much, maybe £15-20 so it all works out about the same either way. It may be cheaper to get a second hand copy of LR5 if that's all you need.

Looks like Adobe are trying to hide it in order to go away from standalone products, and to be honest that upgrade cost isn't as much as I expected but still £60 I hadn't factored in.

Latest version - 6.1 - is a huge improvement over v4. New tools and much faster. Well worth the money.

Back