Review Lightroom vs Capture One

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
I have been a great admirer of Martin Evening for many years now. Not only are his books well structured and very informative, but he is easy to correspond with if you have any queries.

Thanks very much for that link.

I must admit that I’ve been interested by the “C1 is better” brigade, but when I trialled C1 I didn’t find the results much different to those I was getting in Lightroom.

I have a couple of Martin Evening’s books and I respect his opinions and It’s good to see a calm, impartial evaluation and comparison between the two programs.
It’s also interesting to read the conclusion that there’s not much difference between them, and certainly not as much as the "fanboys" would have you believe

I like to think I’m reasonably competent with Lightroom and on the basis of that comparison it looks like I’ll be sticking with it for the time being.

That's fascinating. There's a capture one user that I've seen make the comment that they never sharpen an image, presumably because the software did that for them by default - I find that for Sony I tend to push LR sharpness to 50-60 generally, which is close to the suggested value he gave to imitate CO's default sharpening.

Although I'm a Lightroom user, I've also tried both CO (Sony version) and DXO Optics Pro and found that they all produce slightly different spins on the same image. All could be made to produce similar looking images, but they each had a natural inclination to lead the user in a particular direction. I stuck with LR because DXO was horribly slow and CO didn't seem to offer any particular advantages while also not holding my LR catalogue..

I'd forgotten that I had the Sony version of C1 that I got with my A6000.
I normally use LR because I'm so familiar with it, but I must do a comparison on a Sony image file.

I use a few plug-ins with LR, does C1 support plug-ins the same way that LR does?

Back