Lightroom

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
When I import a pic into Lightroom.. and go to the develop module... the whitebalance says "as shot".

Now if my camera had the whitebalance on cloudy for instance... why dont the 'cloudy' and 'as shot' colours match up in Lightroom. The 'as shot' is a different tone from every other one of the AWB choices. How is that??

If I understand your question....

If the photo was taken with "cloudy WB" then Lightroom would try to add an extra "Cloudy" WB effect over the one in the shot if its not RAW. But then if your taking in RAW why would you use anything other than AWB as you can then just adjust it PP anyhow?

Is that what you ment?

SB

If you think of it more as a colour temperature than a white balance it might make more sense. A colour temperature is a number and there is not set number for cloudy (or many other pre-set WB I'd imagine). In that case it is up to different programmers to decide what colour temperature cloudy etc is and you can gaurantee Adobe think the cloudy colour temp is different to what Canon think it is.

So the same will be for auto then?

I reckon so.

I think, in your slightly crazy but lovable way, you're asking why ADOBE doesn't recognise the camera settings for WB? I suppose the answer is; becuase it doesn't need to. As Kev says, the colour temp is a little subjective to each camera and each piece of software. The editing you do in LR just makes colour warmer or cooler and the only benchmark it has is the numbers it reads from the exif for a jpeg. Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, etc, etc, etc, etc will have a different view of 'cloudy' 'sunny' etc and even different definitions (outdoor v sunny for example)

With RAW files it will only carry a suggestion through on the exif for WB so the output has no defined result.

I wonder if some processing takes place within the camera even with RAW files. This processing takes into account the white balance settings, and the RAW file is "adjusted accordingly.

The settings from the camera may not then be encoded into the RAW file so the software doesn't know what balance setting was used hence the As Shot. option.

Something must happen, as if you shoot a daylight shot with the setting to tungsten the resultant import is blue. Selecting daylight or AWB rectifies the situation.

Might investigate this further if I have the time!

Absolutley, a suggestion is carried through in terms of temp. Also, depending on the processing software, more or less info is translated. For example, with Canon's software a B&W raw is displayed as a B&W raw - in all others the colour is restored........

Must be voodoo, or at least terrys all gold :)

Back