Lightweight zoom alternative to the Nikon 24-70 2.8?

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for something a bit lighter than my 24-70. I find that for day to day stuff, it's just too heavy and bulky. Don't get me wrong, I love this lens and probably wouldn't want to be without it but it's a pain to lug around and far from inconspicuous once the lens hood is on.

So I'm looking for something in the same range and ideally just as fast. I hear the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 mentioned a lot. What's it like for focusing speed? Any others I should be looking at?

I wouldn't look any further than the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.

I have the same problem with the size of the 24-70 f/2.8 (and its stupidly huge hood!) myself - definately not a lens for 15 mile hikes!

I can also thoroughly recommend the Tamron 24-135 SP - stunning lens, but you probably won't be able to find one.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=241

Thanks for the confimation PD. I'll start looking for one of those then.

Try to find a 28-75 without a focus motor, on a D700 focusing is like lightning.

The newer version with a motor is quite slow, and takes a while to settle on its final focus point, especially in lower light. Try to find model A09, avoid the A09 II.

I've noticed with my 28-75 that I'm always having to up the contrast in PP when I've shot using large apertures. Easy enough to fix but does anyone else have this problem?

Other than that, it's a great lens.

I am thinking of putting my 28-75 up for sale if your interested, and cheap enough for you to keep the Nikon! (its the AO9)
Allan

Back