Midlands Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire landscape locations

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
So I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help me out with some ideas for places to start my landscape photography. I live in Lincolnshire in between Lincoln and Nottingham and through various searches (Google, flickr, on here etc) I'm struggling to find locations to start? And around me it's just a lot of flat fields that look a tad boring...

Anyone got any ideas of where to start?

I can't help on specific locations. However, with the flat landscapes there is potential for some big skies.

I find these helpful for landscape shots -

The Photographer's Ephemeris http://photoephemeris.com/ It gives the direction and time of rise and set for the sun (and the moon) for any day. It is free for PCs and Macs

Bing Maps http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=MMREDR The 'Road' tab on Bing Maps allows you to access the OS map of the area (if you zoom in enough). It is very useful for looking at the detail of an area that could help select a location. It is very handy when combined with the Photograher's Ephemeris.

OS maps - you can get the same level of detail from Bing maps but the area covered by a map is greater and there is IMO something a bit special about paper maps.

Geograph http://www.geograph.org.uk/ It is a website that is, as it says - 'aims to collect geographically representative photographs and information for every square kilometre of Great Britain and Ireland '. The coverage is not total yet but it has photographs of many areas and if you want to get an idea what an area looks like, it is very useful.

Dave

Brilliant ill check them out! I was wondering what people used to get the timings. Tried using Google maps to find somewhere but with little success.

One other thing I should have added is keep an eye on the weather.

Dave

I know its a bit further south but how about the Welland viaduct at Harringworth.

Haha yeah it definitely be watching weather. If I'm going to drive need to be able to get the shot I want.ill check it out raglansurf, thank you

Adam,

I'm not too far from you in North Notts,

I guess it depends how far you like to venture off the track to get some landscapes. I usually have a couple of lazy dogs tagging along, which limits how far from the car I can get,

You could try the area round, Creswell Crags, some decent walks round there, and the nearby Dukieres, Clumber Park in a few weeks time for some nice bluebell woodlands, Or further away towards Illam and Castleton in the Peaks.

hth.

Peaks would be nice but a bit far forthe time I have as I work a lot. Forgot about clumber, few good ideas here guys thanks a lot. Got rutland water pretty close aswell so some good starting points. Thanks for all the ideas! Now just ive got to find the time to get out!!

Does anyone know nice places for photography along the east coast in lincolshire pl

I have been to to the top of small hills around caistor, but there is nothing there apart from a lot of flat terrain around

On the other side of the Humber is spurn point which is well worth a day out

Whitby nature park just outside Lincoln, Sherwood Forest, sherwood pines, around belvoir castle is quite a nice area with a few hills as well, and don't forget the wolds

Last edited:
Yeah I'm near belvoir castle so that's definitely one for my list. Thanks a lot everyone

I live in Rutland but i am originally from north Lincolnshire.....Here in Rutland, as said, there is Rutland Water, but also Eyebrook Reservoir near Uppingham, the Welland Valley including the viaduct and the River Chater valley. There are lots of photo opportunities if you you are prepared to get off the roads and use the public rights of way using the Explorer OS maps in Rutland........In Lincolnshire there is Scotter Common just north of Gainsborugh, Normanby Park north of Scunthorpe , Scawby Park near Brigg, Doddington Hall and gardens near Lincoln, the Lincolnshire Wolds near Louth, Donna Nook on the coast for seals and sand dunes, Tattershall Castle near Conningsby, Burghley House, Stamford (FREE all day to walk in the parkland) , the windmill at Kirton-in-Lindsey and Twigmoor Woods near Sunny Scunny !!.

Brilliant thanks for the reply!! I'll have to look up some of these places and the rights of way! Thank you

Any ideas on somewhere for night trails that's not too hard to get to and back from in the dark? Going to try Normanton church at rutland when I get a clear night and the evening off work

Any ideas on somewhere for night trails that's not too hard to get to and back from in the dark? Going to try Normanton church at rutland when I get a clear night and the evening off work

You could also try "The Great Tower" at Sykes Lane on Rutland Water. It's a modern sculpture down at the waters edge, i am not sure what the light pollution is like though and the walk to it is approx 5 minutes from the A606 near Empingham. Also the area below Barnsdale Country Club is easily accessible by foot with some nice mature trees by the water's edge, you can turn off the A606 at the top of Barnsdale Hill and drive down to Rutland Water and park, then follow the footpath/cycle track, you get some nice sunset shots along there!

Thank you very much! I'll pop down when I get chance and check them out!

Back