Linhof Super technika with a roll film back??

Name
Suz
Edit My Images
Yes
How much of a faff are these to operate? Are they a definite tripod only and take 10 minutes minimum to start in any location or are can they still be hand held after a 10 minute faff? I have no idea how much one weighs. Does anyone know?

I've seen mention of a 6x9 roll film back so I'm assuming that is normal 120 roll film? Would that need to be loaded and unloaded in the dark? For some reason I saw a picture of one recently and thought it looked so appealing but I suspect it's going to be a pain in the bum to use especially for a lazy sod like me.

It's a daft idea but it's calling to me for some reason.

Found a weight for them. 2kg. I think this daft idea has just sunk into reality :oops: :$

Last edited:
Which Tech are you looking at? A 5x4 with a roll film back or a 6x9 Tech?

I have a 5x4 Tech V with a Wista 6x9 back and it works well since I have a viewfinder and the correct cams for my lenses, so handheld work is possible - you get no movements though and you have to focus with the rangefinder, then move over to the actual viewfinder to compose your shot, which does bring into play the associated problems that focus + recompose has. The 6x9 Tech is similar, just smaller. The anatomical grip helps a lot too.

One thing to note is that you have to manually cock the shutter before each shot unless you have a self cocking shutter like a Prontor Professional.

The film used is standard 120, you can load the back in daylight.

Last edited:
I bought a similar one last year with 3 lenses and numerous bits and bobs (i blame Woodsy) and it weighs about the same as a Vauxhall Viva.

I've found a few youtubez about them and either every person has tiny hands or they're quite big... vauxhall viva is definitely too heavy!

:D

Best thing you ever did fella :)

With a bit of practice, and just going by my take on how it looks, I'd recon you could get that set up in no more than 30 seconds. I can't comment about the weight though. Personally I use a tripod for everything I do, so it'd make no odds for me.

I did wonder about the mamiya press as well. I'll probably take pot luck on whatever I see that's within budget that appears first :)

I bought an MPP Micro Technical earlier this year with two 120 roll film backs. Not the same obviously but the MPP 120 backs don't need to be loaded in the dark and are quite easy when you understand how they work. The thing with hand holding is you have to either trust the rangefinder (which needs to be matched to the lens) or you have to use the ground glass then put the film back in and take the shot, by which time you or your subject have moved. If the rangefinder is good then you could snap away quite quite happily, that's what the press guys must have done in the 1930's and 40's

that's what the press guys must have done in the 1930's and 40's

I expect they had lower expectations of quality too, the image wouldn't get blown up much more than contact sized unless it was the front page and the contrast of the printing methods of the time meant they could probably under expose a couple of stops with out anyone in the paper noticing. All in I expect they'd have F16 and been there.

Back