Lining a drawer for lenses

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
My collection of lenses is a mess. Some sit about on the desk, some on a shelf, some in the drawer they are supposed to be in. Every time I want a different lens it's a frantic search for the right one. Most of them are Pentax-M film-era lenses, of very similar size and shape (though there are some bigger lenses).

I'd quite like to have a dedicated drawer with a foam insert cut out for each lens, with a label for each slot. It would make it easy to find the right slot (assuming I'm organised enough to put them back in the right slots... and don't buy too many new lenses!).

So my question is: what sort of foam is appropriate, and how does one cut out the shapes for the lenses?

Remember dark drawers are not good for lenses, it attracts mould. Also, keep them cool and add some silica gel bags to the area you're keeping them

Pick and pluck is the way to go. It's really easy to use and you can stick two layers together if you need more height.........

ditto - after you have the foam sorted - buy some green felt - or muslim [sp] and cover the foam loosely -
over several weeks the weight of the lens will mould the fabric down into the cutouts

Looks brilliant, thanks everyone. Looks almost exactly the right size for the drawer, too!

Remember dark drawers are not good for lenses, it attracts mould.
So is it best to store lenses without caps on(or just rear cap on)??
All mine are left in camera bags, caps on so I guess I'm really doing it wrong.
Most do get regular use though.
Genuine question by the way, not trying to be controversial. Thanks.

maybe an old wives tale - but there are those who say leaving any lens on the windowsill will kill fungus

so maybe usage - in sunlight - does help..................:whistle:

Some good ideas and it's got me thinking now about how I could improve my storage (y)

So is it best to store lenses without caps on(or just rear cap on)??
All mine are left in camera bags, caps on so I guess I'm really doing it wrong.
Most do get regular use though.
Genuine question by the way, not trying to be controversial. Thanks.

I would also be interested in more info on this, if anyone has further insight.

Hmm - so should not store in a Peli case?

A search threw up some posts on DPreview, a fairly consistent view was

Keep it away from heat and humidity.

Another version:

I'd worry more about the atmosopheric conditions the [sic] your kit is subjected to in storage...

bugs/mold like warm damp conditions.. so cool/dry is the usual advice. silica gel is a good moisture magnet.

That was my thought. I wouldn't worry about the drawer, or a Peli case, where I currently live, but I might if down in the south west, or in Queensland etc. The silica gel thing is a good idea.

However, just to show how reliable the dpreview commentariat can be (not!), there was this gem:

And the light of direct sunlight is a sure fire recipe for fungi of all description to invade your collection.

Pretty much everyone else suggests that sunlight will kill fungi (though not remove the effects the fungi have caused, and not necessarily all the spores etc).

I'm from a farming background and you may remember that a few years ago with the foot and mouth epidemic the aftermath was farmers having to pressure wash buildings I asked a ministry vet why. His answer was everything in life needs moisture to live, dirt in the walls actually retains moisture and can or will allow the disease to survive until a new host arrives for many years. The biggest defence is dry conditions life, even fungus cant survive I'm not advocating purchasing an autoclave but clean your lenses as best you can and store anywhere that is as dry as possible so yes using silica gel will help. This will be more effective if airflow is restricted inside a box I use really useful boxes for storage as this restricts airflow without totally sealing things off totally add a few silica gell packs for good measure and change them any time I remember, they are cheap i thing i paid something like £13 for 250 sachets last time I bought some

I keep mine in a Vanguard Padded case - with a few packets of Silica Gel- seems to do the job

Les

Very cheap solid foam can be had from Dunelm. They sell it as seating foam and I used it to line a flight case for my lenses.

Very cheap solid foam can be had from Dunelm. They sell it as seating foam and I used it to line a flight case for my lenses.

powdery as s*** when you cut it though - i had that idea and subsequently decided it was a bad idea and bought pick and pluck instead

Back